Jang Woo-jin using hurricane 3 national blue sponge???

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Hi all, I have been watching Asian championships and something catch my attention, is Jang Woo-jin is now using a blade from DHS and looks like a hurricane 3 national blue sponge, someone can confirm this?
Jang woojin.jpg

says Hi I'm new here I would love to be kept up to date about...
Nov 2014
Read 4 reviews
Well i don't think Korea makes any decent rubbers. Xiom is ESN i believe. Makes sense that a professional uses the best.

Watch your word my friend. There are some Korean people on TTD as well. Maybe you weren't trying to be rude here but what you said could be offensive to Korean community in TTD platform. Yes, I respect that it is only your opinion towards Korean rubbers. However, if you think in reverse, you wouldn't feel pleasant hearing such thing about your country. We can all express our opinions but I do not see any necessity in offending anyone to any particular extent when we are doing so.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Can you name some Korean-made rubbers that are widely used by the Korean team?

Watch your word my friend. There are some Korean people on TTD as well. Maybe you weren't trying to be rude here but what you said could be offensive to Korean community in TTD platform. Yes, I respect that it is only your opinion towards Korean rubbers. However, if you think in reverse, you wouldn't feel pleasant hearing such thing about your country. We can all express our opinions but I do not see any necessity in offending anyone to any particular extent when we are doing so.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
i agree Jang Woo-jin is using a DHS Blade. I think it may be a hurricane long 3 or long 5 judging from the handle. As for his blue sponge rubber, it can be dhs hurricane 3 blue sponge. Please do not discriminate if he is using a chinese rubber chinese players use often. People can choose what ever rubber they want to use.

I don't really see any point in bringing nationalism into TT. I did not mean to offend at all, and would never imply that a country's ability to make TT rubbers reflects on the true value of the nation: their people, culture etc. Besides, regarding TT, a believe the blade is far more influential in developing a player and their style in TT. Xiom for example, makes very high quality blades. But even so, are they made in Korea? It would not surprise me either way as i am not entirely sure. This does not shine unfavourably on the nation if they do not produce their own blades! Companies are and should be made up of diversity, and diversity is imperative to TT advancement. The Vega series is extremely good and produced in Germany. Stiga produces rubbers made in china and Germany. Even dhs and palio, with their own factories in China produce rubbers from ESN. Most European pros use tenergy for rubbers, regardless of where they are from! They want the best for them. I'm English, so we respectfully produce nothing! And we supposedly invented the sport. Most English players are devoted to butterfly, stiga and/or Donic. The point being that you should find and use the gear that suits you most and make the most out of your local and national TT community! The latter (community) being far more important. I am frankly jealous of the rich TT culture Korea has, and am not at all shocked that, like so many other great TT nations, sk has failed to tap into the rubber market. It is rather monopolised, with butterfly ruling with high price but high reward. I have started coaching, and desperately want to advance the superiority of Chinese tacky rubbers, simply because at higher levels, they seem indisputably better. And players that use them at the start seem to develop their skills faster in the long run. I am coaching kids, and want to see the ones serious and passionate about TT, progress to their maximum potential. That a top SK player uses dhs national is extremely good news to me, showing that dhs is not afraid to produce their highest grade rubbers for players outside of CNT. Equipment should definitely be universal, and players should absolutely be rewarded for their hard work! Again, not meant to offend, i am actually rather a fan boy of Asian TT: it's philosophy, technique, products, coaches and players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
He is using a custom DHS blade and H3 BS and probably a Tenergy of somekind on his BH.

View attachment 12771
He is the first non Chinese player using hurricane 3 blue sponge openly like this what surprise

I know Ovctharov used it for a short period but with side tapes was not so visible like Jang racket.

Do you think dhs will sell hurricane 3 blue sponge in global scale now? Morizono masataka is sponsored by dhs too (at least he is using a blade and apparently one rubber).

Sent from my 2014819 using Tapatalk

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
What does North Korean players use? I always wanted to know, maybe someone has a close-up.

Regarding Jang Woojin's Hurricane: There is a footage of Ovcharov getting a whole racket from Ma Long, maybe Jang Woojin could get it this way also?

Or Ma Long understands korean and he heard Jang Woojin complaining about superior chinese equipment so ML just said: 'look, here is my racket, take it! If you can beat me, you can keep it!'

So sad that this joke isn't that good because of teammate Jeong Sangeun beating ML. [Just to keep it clear, I am happy about Jeong Sangeun beating the Dragon.]

Last edited:
Nov 2014
Read 4 reviews
Can you name some Korean-made rubbers that are widely used by the Korean team?

Most of the cadets, divion one, and some national players including Jang Woo Jin use Xiom rubbers. I can't really name one since their preferences differ. Woo Jin uses Omega 4 Pro but I can't remember which side.

Nov 2014
Read 4 reviews
I don't really see any point in bringing nationalism into TT. I did not mean to offend at all, and would never imply that a country's ability to make TT rubbers reflects on the true value of the nation: their people, culture etc. Besides, regarding TT, a believe the blade is far more influential in developing a player and their style in TT. Xiom for example, makes very high quality blades. But even so, are they made in Korea? It would not surprise me either way as i am not entirely sure. This does not shine unfavourably on the nation if they do not produce their own blades! Companies are and should be made up of diversity, and diversity is imperative to TT advancement. The Vega series is extremely good and produced in Germany. Stiga produces rubbers made in china and Germany. Even dhs and palio, with their own factories in China produce rubbers from ESN. Most European pros use tenergy for rubbers, regardless of where they are from! They want the best for them. I'm English, so we respectfully produce nothing! And we supposedly invented the sport. Most English players are devoted to butterfly, stiga and/or Donic. The point being that you should find and use the gear that suits you most and make the most out of your local and national TT community! The latter (community) being far more important. I am frankly jealous of the rich TT culture Korea has, and am not at all shocked that, like so many other great TT nations, sk has failed to tap into the rubber market. It is rather monopolised, with butterfly ruling with high price but high reward. I have started coaching, and desperately want to advance the superiority of Chinese tacky rubbers, simply because at higher levels, they seem indisputably better. And players that use them at the start seem to develop their skills faster in the long run. I am coaching kids, and want to see the ones serious and passionate about TT, progress to their maximum potential. That a top SK player uses dhs national is extremely good news to me, showing that dhs is not afraid to produce their highest grade rubbers for players outside of CNT. Equipment should definitely be universal, and players should absolutely be rewarded for their hard work! Again, not meant to offend, i am actually rather a fan boy of Asian TT: it's philosophy, technique, products, coaches and players.

Look back to the sentence you wrote and replace 'Korea' with your country's name. How would it feel if you were the one seeing a sentence written like that? I appreciate the fact that you did not mean to offend at all. Perhaps, WE, yes, 'we' should try to be more careful with our words, especially when it comes to mentioning countrys' names

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
Look back to the sentence you wrote and replace 'Korea' with your country's name. How would it feel if you were the one seeing a sentence written like that? I appreciate the fact that you did not mean to offend at all. Perhaps, WE, yes, 'we' should try to be more careful with our words, especially when it comes to mentioning countrys' names

No. You're being ridiculously oversensitive. Even if he said "Korean *people are unable* to produce good X", you STILL have to make your own implications. You are trying to find something that isn't there and cause problems where there are none. This line of SJW-like totalitarian speech policing leads nowhere anyone wants to be. For all I care you can say all the jazz and banter you want about Finland or about any geographical boundaries that just happen to be where they are. Why should I even begin to care. I remember I commented under one table tennis video how the commentators vocabulary seemed to be very one sided as he used the same words over and over again. People then questioned why I hate China. Mindboggling, really. Nationalism like that makes you blind and look for conflicts. As long as someone doesn't start openly hurling slurs at others, everything is fine.
A little bit of a rant, but I do feel strongly about this.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013

I honestly do understand you weren't trying to offend anyone or invoke nationalism, but apparently you did, ha ha! How I would have phrased it is that "Koreans are like anyone else, they're competitive, pragmatic, and not likely to stick with a product if it doesn't help them compete with the best in the world, even if it's produced from their home country."

An improvement over bashing Korean products, no?

Nov 2014
Read 4 reviews
No. You're being ridiculously oversensitive. Even if he said "Korean *people are unable* to produce good X", you STILL have to make your own implications. You are trying to find something that isn't there and cause problems where there are none. This line of SJW-like totalitarian speech policing leads nowhere anyone wants to be. For all I care you can say all the jazz and banter you want about Finland or about any geographical boundaries that just happen to be where they are. Why should I even begin to care. I remember I commented under one table tennis video how the commentators vocabulary seemed to be very one sided as he used the same words over and over again. People then questioned why I hate China. Mindboggling, really. Nationalism like that makes you blind and look for conflicts. As long as someone doesn't start openly hurling slurs at others, everything is fine.
A little bit of a rant, but I do feel strongly about this.

Wow, I am being overly sensitive to a sentence that literally says Koreans can't make good rubbers. I do sincerely apologise, Mr Smart? Wow, the way you write things are just so constructive and ridiculously genius. But, hey, if you hear someone saying your country sucks at making things, you surely wouldn't be feel pleasant, MR SMART. I'm done with this and gonna have earl grey with some nice ginger biscuits. you should try these together too. Find better stuff to do than interfering with other people's businesses. All I am saying is everyone, yes, everyone including me, should be more careful when it comes to mentioning countrys' names and you say I am being 'ridiculously oversensitive'. I just lost my words... Now, who's being 'ridiculously oversensitive' with something that is none of your business?

Nov 2014
Read 4 reviews
Are Xiom rubbers not produced in Germany?[/

Sorry but I'm not sure about the answer to that question but most of the Korean players have their equipment sponsored by Butterfly though they still choose to use the ones of their best preference. Like, in accord to the best of my knowledge, Ryu seung min recently changed his fh rubber to xiom which I dont know the name of, and jang woo jin uses omega 4 pro.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Top Xiom blades are MADE IN KOREA

Xiom is a Korean brand with certain of its product lines made in Germany, certain in China, and certain in Korea
I know, as I am a Xiom official distributor for South Africa

James, so what TT equipment is made in England or UK... I'm sure it is less than Korea...
Seriously, nationality of the equipment has nothing to do with how players perform or how the countries perform.
So I feel your statement only opens a can of worms and is unnecessary
You need to know that there are cultural, language differences, and some topics/subject is best left alone

And as we all know, you cannot define "best" when it comes to TT equipment
Look what happened to Dima when he used DHS, he loss really badly
But then, CNT can't use the "best" Butterfly to win on the forward (last was KLH) lol

Last edited: