Miu Hirano creates history winning the Asian Championships 2017!

This user has no status.
for those who don't know them yet, introducing the Hirano sisters, there are 2 other sisters coming soon !!!

not 100% sure but i think the 1st sister's name is Sewa and the youngest Ako (12 years). They seem to have already some very good results. Ako plays with long pimples. Mommy is coaching

On a sidenote, MURAMATSU Yuto is a cousin of the HIRANOs

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
What amazes me about Japan is

1) how many international teams has lots of siblings
2) the saying of that you can't coach (or teach) your own kids is not really the case for Japan, due to the utmost respect in the traditional culture for the ones that still holds them.

I was sitting next to the mom at WJTTC 2016, and the sacrifice + support is huge.
How many juniors I see that have maybe less than 10% support of Miu and the others.

I can tell you, CNT is panicking due to the huge influx of really good juniors coming out of Japan

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Reactions: zoomtt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
What amazes me about Japan is

1) how many international teams has lots of siblings
2) the saying of that you can't coach (or teach) your own kids is not really the case for Japan, due to the utmost respect in the traditional culture for the ones that still holds them.

I was sitting next to the mom at WJTTC 2016, and the sacrifice + support is huge.
How many juniors I see that have maybe less than 10% support of Miu and the others.

I can tell you, CNT is panicking due to the huge influx of really good juniors coming out of Japan

Yes, some story you hear is on the verge of child abuse to be honest.
For eg. Mima Ito was trained by her mom for 7 hours a day until 11pm while she was still in kindergarden and frequently kicked out from her house.

Many coaches in my local area have a story to tell regarding Hirano's mom when Miu was playing in local tournaments. She was acting like she was running the tournament and always bending the rules to suit Miu back then.

Having said that, that kind of sefishness and obsessiveness is probably necessary to create a champion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I don't really think its necessary , its common that is true .. but for every Andre Agassi there is a Roger Federer ...
for every Miu Hirano there is a CCY ... whose mom sold everything to support his son's talent ...

if Miu is doing what she is doing to satisfy her mom's dreams ... she will soon run out of motivation .. she might win a few tournaments ... but she won't be able to fulfill her true potential ... and forget about coping with life after table tennis ..

Having said that, that kind of sefishness and obsessiveness is probably necessary to create a champion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
For eg. Mima Ito was trained by her mom for 7 hours a day until 11pm while she was still in kindergarden and frequently kicked out from her house.

Many coaches in my local area have a story to tell regarding Hirano's mom when Miu was playing in local tournaments. She was acting like she was running the tournament and always bending the rules to suit Miu back then.

Well, isn't all your champions and top in the world are child abuse or human abuse?
Think your US Navy seals, is there no human abuse in training?
Kids are normally still doing homework at 11pm if parents are pushing the academic route in a couple of far eastern countries. 99% in a test is a failure too

And regarding the parents getting involved politically and influencing.
one doesn't need to be a champion for parents getting involved. It happens all the time, every where - including amateur level

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I don't really think its necessary , its common that is true .. but for every Andre Agassi there is a Roger Federer ...
for every Miu Hirano there is a CCY ... whose mom sold everything to support his son's talent ...

if Miu is doing what she is doing to satisfy her mom's dreams ... she will soon run out of motivation .. she might win a few tournaments ... but she won't be able to fulfill her true potential ... and forget about coping with life after table tennis ..

Technically, she didn't sell everything,
only 2 properties

and sold another 2, to help fund the training centre :p

Luckily Jerry Guo is donating a big amount a year for the running of the centre and funding of the players. This is for 5 or 6 years.
But the fund is kept by the sports department, and CYTTC needs to apply for each small amount just like one would apply for any gov funding.

Luckily when CCY gotten to some heights, the funding started to come in,
Ie at first it was First bank (met the head coach for lunch in Feb), now it is Co-Op bank (my friend there is the head coach)
at first bank, ccy as a player would earn 5000 US a month, and that was for life (should he retire from sport, he can work in the office, or work as a coach for the sport team)

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster