Finding the "Zone"...What is your thought process?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I am inviting your discussion and for you to share your tips on what goes on in your mind when about to begin a point, both in serving and in receiving serve and then especially mid-rally. Coaching advice seems to be to clear the mind of all thinking and just be focused, but to me that seems to be pretty rarefied athletic achievement. That would be like a true Zen state, perhaps, of being totally focused without a point of focus. Maybe one needs a personal meditative "OM" sound to find that kind of focused relaxation?

Bringing it back to personal, I find my play differs dramatically depending on how seriously focused I am, especially against regular practice partners. That is OK. But sometimes I do find that bit of "zone" where all shots feel hit-able and the game slows a little internally and the results are more than fun! Against higher level players where I want more intensely to "win" I really would like to dial that in...and usually find it is sometimes there and sometimes not. When it does work, there seems to be a flow.

What I have observed for me (I think) is a sequence that goes something like this:

1. If mid-game, but between points: review for a fleeting moment the previous point/stroke but then consciously set the memory of it aside. Mentally flush it, so to speak!
2. If receiving, watch the serve intently to see moment of contact. If serving, plan and visualize where to land the ball and know why.
3. When the ball is coming my way I know I play best if I do not think, except to stare at it unblinkingly, trying to see spin and flight path.
4. Then upon striking the ball I feel my play is best if I do have a bit of thought, something along the lines of, FIRST place the shot somewhere that is uncomfortable for my opponent by either forcing him to move or by trying to jam his position. SECOND (and this is the element I really would like to know if anyone else experiences) my results seem to be best and I achieve that sense of zone if I try to surprise ME with where I place it. That might be a matter of choosing the less obvious or routine return to surprise the opponent but if it surprises me, it seems to also yield a better overall result!

Thanks for thinking about this and sharing your experiences!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Great discussion!

I found that there are different states during gameplay:

1. You miss easy balls during the whole game:
-you might be exhausted, so you need to concentrate on your shots
-you might be frustrated by how you performed during the last match, in real life, you missed some easy shots, or your opponent uses pips and you hate pips ;) . So you become angry and lose your concentration. That's the case when you should call for time-out, do short breathing exercises, keep calm and try to focus on one element of the game. This is something what becomes better and better over time if you conscientiously care about the issue.
-you play with lower level players and you know all you need to do is not missing easy balls. You try everything but it just doesn't work. The options: (a) you will play an all out attacking game. Very often this leads to nowhere. Then stop it and go for the other option. (b) Pump up your confidence but don't attack every ball like a madman. Focus on the serves, 3rd/4th/5th ball attacks. Think about your opponent weaknesses and play them. Basicly what you should do at every match. At serving focus on ball placement and don't use heavy spin serves unless your opponent continually misses it.

2. You play a tight game or an important game:
-before serving you MUST think about what do you want to serve. Think about the most likely returns but be aware to don't start preparing for your next ball before the actual return. For example you serve a topspin-sidespin pendulum serve what most likely (against this player) will return slightly high to your forehand, so you immediately after the serve lower your hand to prepare for a FH loop.
-when you return I found the most effective to decide if you want to play an aggressive return. This makes much-much more effective your aggressive returns. Without that it's really hard BH flick a serve coming to your forehand side and you will be more confident in every type of attacking the serve.
-Be one with the Force! Very very important in tight games. I think this is best way to describe the state what you want to reach. Try to imitate a jedi. Seriously. That works the best.

3. You play a remarkably stronger opponent
-Time for overconfidence. Play risky shots, powerful loops from crazy angles. This time you can't effectively play to your opponents weaknesses, but you can play your strength.
-Cho! Play from passion, play from anger. Concentrate on the ball, then decide a point where you want to play it. Then let your body doing it's work.

It's 02:00 here, I'm tired. I wanted to write an organized post but being unable to concentrate I wrote down everything what popped up in my mind. Still I think I had some good ideas even if it's not that well-composed.
Good night!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Obviously i don't know how to find and stay in the zone else i would always do it but here is what i try to do, based on my remembrance on my past experiences being in the zone:

- always stay positive. I keep telling myself that i play well.
- between points i decide a quick second about the strategy for next point or about some technical point to adjust but immediately after i keep telling me just about focusing on the next ball, getting back quickly in neutral position and getting ready for it, looking immediately at my opponent's racket as soon as i hit the ball. That avoids me thinking too much, like ohhhhhh i have to do this and that to make a good receive, then either i stress too much and miss that receive or even if i make a good receive my body and mind stops and i miss the 4th ball.
- try to remember my good and hard training. Multiballs drills are much faster than matches so i know that if i focus i should be able to feel a bit like I'm playing in slow motion
- having some routine helps as well

A very interesting post.

The thought process to me depends on the kind of form that i am in for that particular session. If i am in reasonably good form and i am moving well, my thought process is to be aggressive from the start and try to setup ball for my third ball loop spin. If i am not quite upto it, i try to place the ball on the table and look for my attack on the 5th ball.
Whatever the outcome might be i do not stop attacking, but if in good form i begin my attack earlier. I am told by other players that my spin always gives them problems, as i am more of a drive-player so to speak.

If i get totally dominated by the other player's attack i start blocking the ball more. Just so to keep the rally going, in-between i also try to counter-loop the ball whenever possible.

Whomsoever i might be playing, i always feel that i can win, i never get scared or intimidated by the opponent. Whether its a professional player that i am facing or a beginner level player, i always play the same way, which is aggressive and positive table tennis. I hate losing even a single point or rally in the match, and i am also appreciative if the other player hits a winner or passing shot.

Reactions: gmiller2233
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
I've got a relatively bad thought process tbh, well apart from trying not to focus on mistakes.
If I get into a bad rhythm, however, I do implement a: "close my eyes for a few seconds, use breathing excercise, and reboot".

In between matches, or 20mins before a match, I like to disconnect with Isochronic tones, visualizing next opponent, blocking out the negatively charged emotions (maybe from losing matches?) starting out the next match with confidence.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
http://www.experttabletennis.com/dora-kurimay-get-your-game-face-on-like-the-pros/#more-4577
I caught this interview with Dora where they discussed her book Get Your Game Face On Like The Pros on the expert table tennis podcast. I have not read the book but the interview was pretty good. They seem to cover some relevant topics to the thread.
Things like
How to use “deep breathing” as a technique to improve your performance.
Why you should create a “mistake ritual”.
Q&A: How to clear your mind in between points.
Q&A: How to focus and stay in the moment.
Q&A: How to play as well in matches as you do in practice.
Q&A: How to deal with nerves and conquer fear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Finding the "Zone"...What is your thought process?

Great books to read on the subject:
-Csikszentmihalyi, Mihaly (1990). Flow: The
Great books to read on the subject:
-ce

Second this. Good book!

Second this. Good book!

Last edited: