Share pics of your penhold grip: rpb, tpb, jpen, pimples twiddling etc

I primarily play rpb penhold, and given that most information is Chinese, and that is penholders are constantly seeking innovation in terms of our grip, a thread seemed appropriate. Atm, I still block using tpb, but primarily avoid this stroke, playing a much more ma Lin and Xu xin inspired, close the table third ball attack style. Inspired by sff lib, I've taken to adding a bit of soft rubber as a rest for my index finger. This allows me to comfortably apply more pressure when looping bh, and facilitates an easier transition to traditional bh. Attached are pictures of the index finger 'pillow', my fh and bh side of rpb grip,
and fh and bh side of traditional bh grip. IMG_20170425_140319566.jpgIMG_20170425_140337078.jpgIMG_20170425_140402995.jpgIMG_20170425_140437287.jpgIMG_20170425_140441684.jpg

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Reposting here from another pneholder thread before i posted to

View attachment 11547View attachment 11548

My grip, no one taught me this. Traditional PH grip i believe has the handle nestled in the web of the hand. As you can see, my grip is out of the web and closer to the index finger.

This helps me block/punch very well IMO. I've tried to block and punch with the handle in the web of my hand and have found I cannot close the racket as well as when the handle is closer to my knuckle.

Downside may be i have a wacky FH stroke.

Knowing my limitations, as I'm older and slower now, this grip is good for me and my block/punch parts of my game.

As a reminder to all on this thread, I used to play a lot when I was much younger. Had a 30+ yrs layoff from TT. Have been playing again for a little over a year now. Not sure how I got to this grip... had a little formal coaching when younger but nothing on grip.