DHS Hurricane 8 - loss of tackiness

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Hi all,

I hope some of you might be able to help.
Here I have 3 bats fitted with DHS Hurricane 8. Far left topsheet is just over an year old, the middle and far right are both exactly 4 months old(bought from the same place at the same time). As you can see from the pictures the old Hurricane 8 is still very shiny and when you put finger on it you can feel that it sticks on the rubber, whereas on the other 2 Hurricanes is considerably less. The nonshiny ones have been cleaned with Donic cleaner for the first month and distilled water and microfibe cloth afterwards. Both (nonshiny) ones have topsheet protectors and have always been used after play.
All three rubbers are used 2-3 times a week 2-3hours a day. 20170429_200034.jpgTACH]20170429_200034.jpg
Has anyone had similar problem? I would imagine chinese tacky rubber like Hurricane 8 should last longer than 4 months?!?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Thanks Suga D and Hamasaki_Fanz!

Why is it then when a new rubber is unpacked it is much stickier?
And what is it when touched there is something "oily" left on the fingers? I thought the shininess comes from the same "thing" that sticks on the fingers, therefore more shininess, more tackiness...
Please, correct me if I am wrong as I only recently started using tacky rubbers.

Martin

Reactions: Suga D
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews

And what is it when touched there is something "oily" left on the fingers? I thought the shininess comes from the same "thing" that sticks on the fingers, therefore more shininess, more tackiness...
Please, correct me if I am wrong as I only recently started using tacky rubbers.

Martin
Interesting cause all dhs rubbers i have bought are less tacky on the beginning ...the tackiness come s with the play after few minutes. And also ... i did not get any shining DHS H8 at all .

Reactions: Suga D

Martin

1. because it's never been used (no contact with dust).
2. I think that's some kind of protection to the rubber, once you remove the plastic protector and start using it, it will be gone.
3. Good h3 is not tacky, if you've ever tried h3 commercial provincial and national you will notice the provincial and national ones are not that tacky, only commercial one is shinny and tacky.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
I've bought 4 h8's and two were tacky and two were less so. I will say if you want the tackiness back The Olive oil trick does work on h8's, but for some reason it seems a tad bit less responsive than the h3. It may be a little more synthetic or something not sure. Olive oil doesn't work at all restoring tackiness to something like yasaka rising dragon. Regarding the shiny look I've often wondered why some dhs rubbers have the shin and other do not. I have noticed that aswell but I have not kept track of which had it and which did not. Because people play them at my club I do know the old ph4's are shiny and I think the g rubbers like g888 are to shiny too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I think I have had 3 sheets total at this point: 2 red 1 black. I can only recall the black one being tacky. First red sheet totally delaminated from the sponge and I can't recall any other real properties about that particular sheet other than that and being mad. Second red sheet was more grippy than tacky. Black sheet is tacky, nothing crazy though. I do use those sticker type plastic sheets on it when i'm not using it. Not sure if that has any bearing on the top sheets tackiness.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I think I have had 3 sheets total at this point: 2 red 1 black. I can only recall the black one being tacky. First red sheet totally delaminated from the sponge and I can't recall any other real properties about that particular sheet other than that and being mad. Second red sheet was more grippy than tacky. Black sheet is tacky, nothing crazy though. I do use those sticker type plastic sheets on it when i'm not using it. Not sure if that has any bearing on the top sheets tackiness.

I was recommended to ONLY use non-adhesive protection sheets for tacky rubbers.

This user has no status.
Thanks for that info. What is interesting is I have only used those sheets on the black (tacky) sheet. Were you given any reasoning as to why it would hurt tacky topsheets? I really only use it as it they do a good job of getting rid of dust on the topsheet. Actually....my BH rubber is Skyline 3-60 and I have three sheets of it at the moment, and the this sheet is by far the tackiest (other two sheets are definitely grippy and not tacky), it is the only 3-60 with sticker protectors. I don't doubt what you are saying, it just seems to go against my very limited experience.