• 100% no!

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Ever cheated in table tennis!?

Today, Former England number 1 table tennis player admits cheating against Desmond Douglas during the English National Championships final on the BBC podcast! Have you ever done this?

Listen to snippet taken from the podcast below:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
I would understand it if he hated for any reason the opponent. So far I have acknowledged every single edge or net clip but in a tight match against a player I hate for his behavior I would probably try to cheat especially if the point is somehow debatable or if only me has spotted the incident. Anyway the eager to win sometimes makes you forget that on the other side of the table there is your buddy who helped you so it seems normal to me

This user has no status.
Some time ago I had my opponent ask me whether the ball touched my shirt. It was one of those balls that go directly into my point of indecision. I leaned back, flapped my wrist at the ball on my forehand side, it went over the net, my opponent missed. It felt almost like pushing the ball with my body because of how it came at me. Surely I maneuvered it to the other side with my racket. But did it touch my shirt? I was unsure, I really didn't know. It might have. Maybe not. I asked: "Did it? I didn't notice." He then waved his hand at me as to say "Ah whatever."
I had a bad feeling about it the whole tournament. It wasn't a deciding point. Maybe I shouldn't have said "I didn't notice", so that I don't instill doubt into what my opponent thought he saw. Maybe I should've said: "It might have". I don't know whether my opponent thought I tried to cheat him. But still it felt very bad. When in doubt, when I'm not sure myself, I now always try to give my opponent the point. Well, unless it's game point lol.

Reactions: Suga D and TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2011
We can´t really blame him. In a competition of such a high level, when your biggest dream is so close and adrenaline is rushing through your veins like a mad dog, you can´t really control your emotions. It´s wrong, of course, but so is diving or exaggerating a foul in football and, let´s face it, we have ALL done it. So, let´s applaud Matthew for admiting he´s human.

Reactions: TTFrenzy
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Yes, we can blame him. And I actually don't think it matters here what Desmond Douglas was like (though I too think him sweet). It's a shame when such a thing happens, even when detrimental to a player equipped with less then stellar sportsmanship.

Nevertheless, to err human is, and as things go it's not easy to backtrack on such mistakes. And it's very magnanimous to do so in style, even so long after the fact. To err is human, to humble down, repent and apologize for your mistakes is laudable.

I don't know if this really was crucial to Syed's win in that game. Even a magnanimous apology a few decades later might not mend a wrongfully lost championship title.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Some time ago I had my opponent ask me whether the ball touched my shirt. It was one of those balls that go directly into my point of indecision. I leaned back, flapped my wrist at the ball on my forehand side, it went over the net, my opponent missed. It felt almost like pushing the ball with my body because of how it came at me. Surely I maneuvered it to the other side with my racket. But did it touch my shirt? I was unsure, I really didn't know. It might have. Maybe not. I asked: "Did it? I didn't notice." He then waved his hand at me as to say "Ah whatever."
I had a bad feeling about it the whole tournament. It wasn't a deciding point. Maybe I shouldn't have said "I didn't notice", so that I don't instill doubt into what my opponent thought he saw. Maybe I should've said: "It might have". I don't know whether my opponent thought I tried to cheat him. But still it felt very bad. When in doubt, when I'm not sure myself, I now always try to give my opponent the point. Well, unless it's game point lol.

Yeah it has happened to me many times. In table tennis its common to have debatable and weird points, you really cant do anything if the opponent thinks u cheated.

On several occasions and If I have familiriaty with the umpire I suggest that the point should be replayed and leave it for him to decide and many times the umpire has accepted. There is a rule which is too generic but you can interpret it however you want if the situation demands it, ethics come first especially against a respected opponent/person. If I hate the guy I dont give a damn especially when I know he is a net/edge cheater or abuser.

p.s. its the rule that describes something like "if the umpire believes the play has been obstructed for any reason , he can decide to replay the point" So from my ethical point of view a debatable point is always a good reason to consider that play has been obstructed :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Yes, we can blame him. And I actually don't think it matters here what Desmond Douglas was like (though I too think him sweet). It's a shame is such a thing happens.

Nevertheless, to err human is, and as things go it's not easy to backtrack on such mistakes. And it's very magnanimous to do so in style, even so long after the fact. To err is human, to humble down, repent and apologize for your mistakes is laudable.

I don't know if this really was crucial to Syed's win in that game. Even a magnanimous apology a few decades later might not mend a wrongfully lost championship title.

Thetitle was not wrongfully lost, douglas earned the point. If his psychology was affected even though he won the point only douglas knows and only he can say with certainty that he lost that match because of that incident.

But then again in a 21 point game 14-14 till the incident, there are already 28 points played which means you already lost those points because your opponent was luckier/better and you made some errors. So its tough for me to believe that the match was lost because of this but I wouldnt be surprised if douglas claims that his mentality was affected from that incident. After all it was a much between professionals its like saying ML lost because of the ball and his service error.

There are 33 or 44 (63 in the old era) winning points to finish a match , "blaiming" only one point for a loss sounds ridiculous for a pro player. I would only understand it if we were talking about teenagers or small kids who tilt very easy

Reactions: Suga D
says Aging is a killer
I have been in that shirt thing a few of times, and I agree that it's 50/50 situation on your part. However, the opponent and umpire sees the swerve. Then you start to think, " maybe that did hit".
It's a bit like double hits before the rule change. I've seen honest players play on despite the double hit as it just does not register to them in the heat of the moment.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Listened to the podcast. I've never had anything like this happen to me or have done anything like that.

That being said, it's an easy story to believe and I don't necessarily condemn someone as being a weasel. I don't know the guy. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. But it did seem like it bothered him for a long time.

When you're in a match and you're worked up, there's a lot on the line and you really want to beat someone, I can see a split decision defensive remark "no that didn't touch" coming out. Wrong? Yes. But shocking? Nah this is an easy story to believe.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I even have my incident on tape. It was match point. The ball rolled into my court after the point was over but I thought it interfered with my concentration. I would have let it go but my opponent offered me the let and I took it. I don't feel guilty but it does creep into my mind once in a while because it was a huge match for me.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
As soon as there are doubts whether the ball toched the table or not, from opponent or referee, I always tell my opinion honestly even if that means a point for my opponent. Never trying to lie.

But then sometimes I feel like my opponent has an edge ball but no one else but me notices that. No reaction from my opponent, no reaction from spectators, no reaction from the referee who gives me the point. If no one starts the discussion, why should I? In such a case I take the point.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Very different opinions in a incident similar to LJK - Kenta matsudaira. Maybe because he's Chinese?

Sent from my 2014819 using Tapatalk

It's just because LJK was being an asshole. WLQ is chinese and he's still one of the most liked players for his conduct