German Association Reject Ovtcharov & Mizutani's doubles bid! WTTC 2017!

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Dimitrij Ovtcharov's bid to play with Jun Mizutani or Vladimir samsonov in the doubles event at the 2017 World Championships has been rejected! DTTB the German Table Tennis Assocation has refused for Ovtcharov to play with Mizutani or Samsonov. Ovtcharov pictured above with Russian League team mates Mizutani and Samsonov:

dimitrijovtcharovwttc2017.jpg

Dimitrij Ovtcharov has made a statement about the situation, "I am disappointed that I won't get the chance to play the doubles event at the #ITTFWorlds2017 in Dusseldorf even though i had the opportunity to play with Jun Mizutani. Anyways I will of course do my best for the singles event".

Ovtcharov shared this German News Article here: http://m.focus.de/sport/mehrsport/t...harov-von-verband-enttaeuscht_id_7078745.html

The German Team have sent these 3 doubles teams:

1. Timo Boll and Ma Long
2. Patrick Franziska and Jonathan Groth
3. Ruwen Filus and Ricardo Walther

Ovtcharov has said why is Timo allowed to play with Ma Long...

What do you think of this decision?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Every country is allowed two pairings (not sure about hosts), and Dima and JM would not allow Germany one more player. It probably makes more sense for Germany to field another home duo. Medal chances also factor in and Dima is not necessarily the best doubles player in the world.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I've read the article and still fail to understand why. Theres Timo Boll/Ma Long, and room for a second (partly) german doubles couple; and though Patrick Franszeska/Jonathan Groth are mentioned, the actual decision on that second double seems so unclear.

It seems Germany is allowed 3 entries. I think the issue is Dima's doubles ability and the idea of having all three pairings be with foreigners.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
If my german serves me right, he mentions that for reasons he doesn't understand, he "could've played" doubles with a chinese player, but not with a foreign non-chinese player.

...which is... odd :/

Odd and makes no sense, since he would be limiting China's doubles partners opportunities. I think he was just trying to make a comparison to Boll though without offending Boll.

IMO, the only realistic pairing is Samsonov (Mizutani would have limited Japan's teams), and Samsonov is not a beast in Doubles. You can't blame Germany for wanting to field high level teams in such critical events.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
IMO, the only realistic pairing is Samsonov (Mizutani would have limited Japan's teams), and Samsonov is not a beast in Doubles. You can't blame Germany for wanting to field high level teams in such critical events.

Yes, Japan should have sacrifice the Niwa-Yoshimura double, but IMO the Ovcharov-Mizutani double would be strong. Ovcharov and Mizutani might not be the best doubles players but they aren't bad either. They are good players and they developed since we saw them playing doubles. And they practised together in leagues and I am sure that they played doubles too and they felt confident enough to ask the association.

EDIT: Soo much 'and' (°.°) I feel myself embarrassed

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Come on , are you telling me that Niwa-Yoshimura , a 50-50 medal prospect should be sacrificed for a rookie pair , none of whom have showed any interest or competence in doubles in international competition till now. I have seen Dima play doubles and he is not good . Most of his game is based on his high toss sidespin serves and its very difficult to form a winning team with a new player with a play like that just before the world championship ... it would just have been a popular initiative and after recent performances where the german team did not live up to their potential the german national committee is bound to be cautious about their decision making and medal prospects ... you have to understand this is not CNT who are pretty much sure about their medals and just trying to popularize the sport ... these are contenders who are hanging on by the skin of their nails to make life hard for CNT players , the best they can

Yes, Japan should have sacrifice the Niwa-Yoshimura double, but IMO the Ovcharov-Mizutani double would be strong. Ovcharov and Mizutani might not be the best doubles players but they aren't bad either. They are good players and they developed since we saw them playing doubles. And they practised together in leagues and I am sure that they played doubles too and they felt confident enough to ask the association.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Come on , are you telling me that Niwa-Yoshimura , a 50-50 medal prospect should be sacrificed for a rookie pair , none of whom have showed any interest or competence in doubles in international competition till now. I have seen Dima play doubles and he is not good . Most of his game is based on his high toss sidespin serves and its very difficult to form a winning team with a new player with a play like that just before the world championship ... it would just have been a popular initiative and after recent performances where the german team did not live up to their potential the german national committee is bound to be cautious about their decision making and medal prospects ... you have to understand this is not CNT who are pretty much sure about their medals and just trying to popularize the sport ... these are contenders who are hanging on by the skin of their nails to make life hard for CNT players , the best they can

Ok, it's just my personal opinion that they would be strong. And I think that the Niwa - Yoshimura double can beat any weaker double, but there is a lot of doubles which can beat them.

They struggled against:
Jang Woojin - Jeong Sangeun
Chen Chien-An - Liao Cheng-Ting/Chiang Hung-Chieh
Jeoung Youngsik - Lee Sangsu
Ho Kwan Kit - Lam Siu Hang

and they get beaten bad by:
Filus Ruwen - Walther Ricardo
Karlson Mattias - Fabian Akerstrom
any chinese and japanese doubles

In WTTC they will die early. (I hope I won't be right)
Their results are beating weak week doubles and then win or lose 3-2 to any stronger one.
The only notable result is beating Ma Long - Xu Xin, which is admirable, but it just happened once, since then they haven't had even a close match against CNT players.

I get it that the Ovcharov - Mizutani is rookie and neither of them is a good doubles player, but don't think they are worse than the Niwa-Yoshimura. And a totally new and unanylized double might have better chances against the CNT.

A little off, but I want the Niwa - Matsudaira double back :(

(we don't have to kill each other, we are both saying our thoughts. We haven't seen playing the Mizutani - Dima double, so there is no evidence)

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Ok, it's just my personal opinion that they would be strong. And I think that the Niwa - Yoshimura double can beat any weaker double, but there is a lot of doubles which can beat them.

They struggled against:
Jang Woojin - Jeong Sangeun
Chen Chien-An - Liao Cheng-Ting/Chiang Hung-Chieh
Jeoung Youngsik - Lee Sangsu
Ho Kwan Kit - Lam Siu Hang

and they get beaten bad by:
Filus Ruwen - Walther Ricardo
Karlson Mattias - Fabian Akerstrom
any chinese and japanese doubles

In WTTC they will die early. (I hope I won't be right)
Their results are beating weak week doubles and then win or lose 3-2 to any stronger one.
The only notable result is beating Ma Long - Xu Xin, which is admirable, but it just happened once, since then they haven't had even a close match against CNT players.

I get it that the Ovcharov - Mizutani is rookie and neither of them is a good doubles player, but don't think they are worse than the Niwa-Yoshimura. And a totally new and unanylized double might have better chances against the CNT.

A little off, but I want the Niwa - Matsudaira double back :(

(we don't have to kill each other, we are both saying our thoughts. We haven't seen playing the Mizutani - Dima double, so there is no evidence)

That is evidence, we rarely see those players in Doubles at all. Even last WTTC, did Dima play doubles? Mizutani was a good doubles player but again, is he going to be the one to push out good players like Yoshimura who probably deserves to play singles?

And like I said, Samsonov is almost a non-starter. Dima had to do better than that. Filus and Walther play well together, and I would take that pair over anything Dima is bringing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Actually my super extreme secret chinese sources gave me this sound log from LGL telephone

LGL : Yeah gimme ur boss please
Random German Secretary of DTTF : Who are you

LGL : Gimme jorg on the phone asap if you want to keep ur job and dont end up in the basement training with the rats

RGS : ok sir

Rosskopf : Alo?

LGL : Yeah dude what is this mizu dima crap ru kidding me? I though we had a deal. No medals for japan

Rosskopf : Yeah sup liu, I thought it would be a good spectacle and promote the sport more in the west , ur gonna sweep everything after all

LGL : Dont gimme that spectacle promotion BS, ALL YOUR MEDALS ARE BELONG TO US !

Rosskopf : The United States?

LGL : Jesus shitbrains how the hell did you end up head coach with such poor perception

Rosskopf : Well, actually my father knew a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy inside the german federation. Its all about politics u know

LGL : Look, if u still want ur job make it look like its your federation's decision, hell Ill even order ML to win 4-3 against boll, just for the german fans to start hoping again. but no medals for japanese dogs !!

Rosskopf : Ok consider it done, now please tell me some boosting secrets

LGL : Hahahaha, nice one, u do have some brains after all in ur potato head dont you

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Hilarious !!! You should start a table tennis comic strip ... really enjoyed it !
Actually my super extreme secret chinese sources gave me this sound log from LGL telephone

LGL : Yeah gimme ur boss please
Random German Secretary of DTTF : Who are you

LGL : Gimme jorg on the phone asap if you want to keep ur job and dont end up in the basement training with the rats

RGS : ok sir

Rosskopf : Alo?

LGL : Yeah dude what is this mizu dima crap ru kidding me? I though we had a deal. No medals for japan

Rosskopf : Yeah sup liu, I thought it would be a good spectacle and promote the sport more in the west , ur gonna sweep everything after all

LGL : Dont gimme that spectacle promotion BS, ALL YOUR MEDALS ARE BELONG TO US !

Rosskopf : The United States?

LGL : Jesus shitbrains how the hell did you end up head coach with such poor perception

Rosskopf : Well, actually my father knew a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy inside the german federation. Its all about politics u know

LGL : Look, if u still want ur job make it look like its your federation's decision, hell Ill even order ML to win 4-3 against boll, just for the german fans to start hoping again. but no medals for japanese dogs !!

Rosskopf : Ok consider it done, now please tell me some boosting secrets

LGL : Hahahaha, nice one, u do have some brains after all in ur potato head dont you

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Ι cant know for sure how niwa yoshimura will do but yuya morizono have played since their early age together, niwa started with matsudaira but changed on the way. Lets not forget they had 2 match points against the future world champs in 2015

And don't forget that they gave a hard time to the chinese cosistently. If I remember correctly, they beat Wang Hao - someone in the semifinal of some tournament.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
That is evidence, we rarely see those players in Doubles at all. Even last WTTC, did Dima play doubles? Mizutani was a good doubles player but again, is he going to be the one to push out good players like Yoshimura who probably deserves to play singles?

And like I said, Samsonov is almost a non-starter. Dima had to do better than that. Filus and Walther play well together, and I would take that pair over anything Dima is bringing.

That's evidence for that they didn't care about doubles and the coaches decided on other more talented (for doubles) players to practice doubles.

However the Walther - Filus priority makes sense.

I hope new doubles in JNT after the WTTC. Ueda Jin did pretty well both with Yoshimura and Matsudaira in the past, but still not enough convincing. Jin Takuya with Kenji Matsudaira would be an extreme offensive and extreme loud double. Chan Kazuhiro was very good with Kenji, but dunno what's up with him. IMO Harimoto need some years to start in adults doubles. And there is a lot of young players who might be a good doubles partner. Yoshimura Kazuhiro also a promising player.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
You have put in a lot of valid arguments , completely agree with the Harimoto comment, doubles needs a lot of maturity and understanding partners strength's and weaknesses along with having the maturity to not get frustrated when your partner is letting you down and keep trying your best for the team ... don't think Harimoto has yet reached that level of Tablet tennis moksha :) But I still feel that Koki Niwa in his new and muscled up version with Yoshimura will be a bettter choice than Dima and Mizu ... both Dima and Mizu play the high risk - high reward game based on very unique service games which is very difficult to execute in Doubles ... so I have my doubts on this partnership
That's evidence for that they didn't care about doubles and the coaches decided on other more talented (for doubles) players to practice doubles.

However the Walther - Filus priority makes sense.

I hope new doubles in JNT after the WTTC. Ueda Jin did pretty well both with Yoshimura and Matsudaira in the past, but still not enough convincing. Jin Takuya with Kenji Matsudaira would be an extreme offensive and extreme loud double. Chan Kazuhiro was very good with Kenji, but dunno what's up with him. IMO Harimoto need some years to start in adults doubles. And there is a lot of young players who might be a good doubles partner. Yoshimura Kazuhiro also a promising player.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I am not a Dima fan , I am Mizu fan and even I am doubtful about his doubles capabilities , but I would have loved to see somebody powerful game and fast footwork like Kristian Karlsson to pair up with him .. bad idea .. two lefties :O ... may be Simon Gauzy or Stefan Feggerel ...
The German fans would love to see Dima paired up with Mizutani... come on...

Last edited: