Who do you think will win the World Championships?

• Ma Long

Votes: 65 37.6%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 67 38.7%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Wong Chun Ting

• Timo Boll

• Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
I heard someone say on here that XX said something along the lines of "this is not a tournament for little kids" or something to that extent?

If so, he wasn't being a dick, just commenting on an objective reality as he has shown. That being said, mad props to Harimoto, because at 13 he plays years ahead of his time... not decade+ ahead,where XX or the other top tier players lie.

Harimoto has shown extraordinary potential, but he is entirely too raw. Still good to see someone with such raw talent make it so far on potential alone.

Reactions: sanavasaraja
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Some day, a scientist will do the research that will show that people getting in your face like that hurts your performance unless you get back in their face as well. Then people will understand the root of such behavior in our animal nature and why you can't have people do that without fighting back, and why it is important to eradicate such behavior from the sport earlier rather than later.

hhahaha hilarious post (I dont know if you intended to joke or not but you are absolutely right getting back at them is always sweet revenge especially when u have managed to annoy them back), we dont need a scientist to prove that ! we already know it! Its one of those things you can just read in other's body language and no science can beat that

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
I heard someone say on here that XX said something along the lines of "this is not a tournament for little kids" or something to that extent?

If so, he wasn't being a dick, just commenting on an objective reality as he has shown. That being said, mad props to Harimoto, because at 13 he plays years ahead of his time... not decade+ ahead,where XX or the other top tier players lie.

Harimoto has shown extraordinary potential, but he is entirely too raw. Still good to see someone with such raw talent make it so far on potential alone.

well a "kid" reaching top 8 in the most prestigious tournament in the world can certainly count as an "adult" in the world of table tennis. Harimoto's understanding of the game is just sick

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Why do you guys complain about Harimoto? Today Dima too was tchoooing nearly every point against the very silent Niwa....

If you actually paid attention, you would know that lots of people complain about Dima's noisemaking and tchoing. So acting as if they don't sounds ridiculous.

Not a sore loser. He just ridiculed himself. Xu xin was the better player he didn't need that to win.

By the way I like to tchooo a lot when I play and I'm not affected if the guy starts tchoooing as well. Actually it gives me more energy.

I think Harimoto is the same cause surely other guys did try the same than Xu Xin before.

So I stick to my words. Xu xin is ridiculous and an arrogant player. He's shown that many times in his career. He even refused to shake hands with the kid at the end. It's lamentable

I'll be very glad to see Xu Xin lose again to his teammates tomorrow hopefully

And this whole post makes you sound ridiculous and it clearly sounds like sour-grapes, sore loser stuff.

Harimoto played great. He had an amazing tournament. XX played well enough to take care of him.

If you didn't like the behavior from XX, you have to complain about it and not like it from Harimoto as well.

There are benefits to Harimoto and to the sport in having XX do that and show Harimoto how obnoxious that kind of behavior is.

XX and the CNT sports psychology that went into having XX tcho Harimoto down throughout the match is something every opponent should do to him until he starts growing up and stops tchoing to the extent he does on every point.

I may have wanted Harimoto to win. But just because it would make things interesting. There is no question the kid can be annoying with how much noise he makes on every point.

If he is doing it, then there is nothing wrong with an opponent doing it back to him. You just can't have it both ways.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
With SF spots decided, hoping to see a ML vs FZD classic finals. LSS can prove dangerous to FZD though. Koreans have sometimes managed to put a dent in CNT legacy. But I hope not at the cost of ML vs FZD slugfest.

With all the talk of CNT going downhill , nothing exceptional materialized apart from injury faking ZJK going down. CNT will quickly fill ZJK"s place with another upcoming monster to the dismay of the whole world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gourav Acharya
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
With SF spots decided, hoping to see a ML vs FZD classic finals. LSS can prove dangerous to FZD though. Koreans have sometimes managed to put a dent in CNT legacy. But I hope not at the cost of ML vs FZD slugfest.

With all the talk of CNT going downhill , nothing exceptional materialized apart from injury faking ZJK going down. CNT will quickly fill ZJK"s place with another upcoming monster to the dismay of the whole world.

Why do you think he's injury faking? Genuinely curious.

[FONT=&quot]“My opponent was very aggressive while I was a bit slow and my mental game was not very good. It was hard to find a loophole. If I won the fifth round I would have had a chance, but I was rather passive in this match. My preparation was the same as before and I’ve played him many times before. The quality of his shots were more fierce today, and mine were relatively poor. The mental aspect played a bigger role than the technical in my match today. My injury earlier in the year had no impact.” Zhang Jike" [/FONT]http://www.ittf.com/2017/06/02/lee-sangsu-zhang-jike/[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
Here he admits his injury had no impact, what reason would he have to fake an injury?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Why do you think he's injury faking? Genuinely curious.

Here he admits his injury had no impact, what reason would he have to fake an injury?

I have followed him closely over the years. This is the first time he admitted to injury not impacting his performance.I think he knows his time is up now.

Even during build up to WTTC he faked injury during chinese trials to grab a WTTC ticket. During Asian Champs (only a month back) , he limped many times during his matches. And all of a sudden in one month how can he be all good if he had an injury which troubled him for past 6 months. Lets consider Qatar Open where he played perfectly against Tiago Apolonia. Then all of a sudden in the next match he developed cold feet and started injury and fever drama. Long story short - He appeared in Qatar Open just to get his rankings back which was suspended for not attending pro tour for 6 months.

During Rio olympics he told reporters that his back is so sore he could hardly stand and had to interview while sitting down. And right after that he went on to do all sorts of variety shows. It might look like a conspiracy theory but I think somehow LGY is part of it to keep the PR and hype around CNT.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
His choing was the appropriate response. I am not sure whether I still have the video, but that is exactly how I play when I am in hostile environments. You have to cho to pump yourself up when the opponent is getting in your face with their noise making.

Like I said, people who do not complain about Harimoto have no right to complain when someone gets it back in his face. I think part of Xu Xin's performance was driven by his willingness not to back down from that nonsense.

You have to play someone at your level who is getting in your face like that to know what it does to your psychology and realize you either have to play way above their level or show your presence as well.
Well said.

You let someone does it to you and you stay quiet then you will start to lose it slowly and hurt your confidence.

XX is one of the nicest player I seen on TV, don't normally cho aggressively in others face. He obviously knew what his opponent was trying to do to him and deployed the right response.

Sooner or later, other players may do the same to Harimoto, because they feel they now have the "right" to do so to bring this extra "level" of play to the game but as before, they may feel inappropriate and receive criticism.

says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
Well said.

You let someone does it to you and you stay quiet then you will start to lose it slowly and hurt your confidence.

XX is one of the nicest player I seen on TV, don't normally cho aggressively in others face. He obviously knew what his opponent was trying to do to him and deployed the right response.

Sooner or later, other players may do the same to Harimoto, because they feel they now have the "right" to do so to bring this extra "level" of play to the game but as before, they may feel inappropriate and receive criticism.

A lot of players probably dont 'cho' when playing Harimoto because, he is after all just a kid - its sort of like cho'ing when playing an old player, even if they are good, and put up a good fight, you just dont feel comfortable cho'ing at them because of their age... feels weird somehow. You would feel comfortable choing against your peers, but not in that situation.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
A lot of players probably dont 'cho' when playing Harimoto because, he is after all just a kid - its sort of like cho'ing when playing an old player, even if they are good, and put up a good fight, you just dont feel comfortable cho'ing at them because of their age... feels weird somehow. You would feel comfortable choing against your peers, but not in that situation.

You are absolutely right. Thats what everyone was thinking. And after they lost to Harimoto, they must felt awful and costed their tournament life because they let him got to them psychologically. I am not saying they would have won if Harimoto stopped this behaviour but at least not feeling that they could have done something about it and the outcome could be different.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

I think LSS has proven that he can beat Ma Long if he can beat FZD. The problem is that LSS in the matches I have seen so far depends a lot on passive returns to his sidetop serves. FZD will not be giving him that.

This user has no status.
If you actually paid attention, you would know that lots of people complain about Dima's noisemaking and tchoing. So acting as if they don't sounds ridiculous.

And this whole post makes you sound ridiculous and it clearly sounds like sour-grapes, sore loser stuff.

Harimoto played great. He had an amazing tournament. XX played well enough to take care of him.

If you didn't like the behavior from XX, you have to complain about it and not like it from Harimoto as well.

There are benefits to Harimoto and to the sport in having XX do that and show Harimoto how obnoxious that kind of behavior is.

XX and the CNT sports psychology that went into having XX tcho Harimoto down throughout the match is something every opponent should do to him until he starts growing up and stops tchoing to the extent he does on every point.

I may have wanted Harimoto to win. But just because it would make things interesting. There is no question the kid can be annoying with how much noise he makes on every point.

If he is doing it, then there is nothing wrong with an opponent doing it back to him. You just can't have it both ways.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Not agreeing at all with you

1) Lot of (digital) ink about Harimoto's tchoooing but he's far from being the loudest player in the circuit. Dima, Freitas, the Japanese Doubles (Oshima/Morizono), Szocs, the lesser known Jin or Chan in Japan, come into my mind, but there's many others.

2) Harimoto is not intimidating his opponents and is never disloyal. If you do observe him well, he NEVER makes eye contact with his opponent to intimidate them. Many players always do that, especially when tchoooing, XU Xin included. Thats intimidation. Nor does Harimoto talk or complain. He systematically apologizes after a net or edge ball. Chinese players, men or women are notorious for not (always) apologizing on those balls.

In his interviews, Harimoto is really humble. He's a good kid. You've probably never seen a TV program on him.

3) XU Xin is an a$$hole, yes, i'm not afraid to say it. Look at some of his close games in recent years with his foreign adversaries. Or his attitude when he's bored and wins too easily. For example, Watch him against Mattenet in some open, or against Wong Chuting in Japan Open last year

4) it may not have come to your mind, but he's only 13, physiologically his body is not producing enough testosterone yet. Shouting is primarily a way to keep him pumped and focused, its not destined to trouble the opponent, this is only a side effect. Pros handle tchooos every tournament from other players. But it seems many can't handle the pressure of a tchooo when its a kid , not an adult doing it.

5) Look at how he played Mizutani. They're friends. Its his idol, they train together, did he stop his tchoooing ? had Mizutani any problem with it ? Did he complain about it ??? Did you see what he did and read what he said when he lost ?

and nope its not sore loser stuff, if you quote me, quote me all, i DID write XX was the better player. but HE was the one with the pitiful attitude, as usual.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
One of the things that bothers me about tchooing is how it disturbs players at other tables. When having an opponent tchoo, at least it is in context and after a point. If it is going on on the table next to me, it is an explosive sound maybe in the middle of a serve or a crucial shot. I find that more annoying than my opponent. It just seems rude to disturb everyone around you, and maybe a little bit, "hey, look at me". I can understand a 13 year old doing this, but for an adult it seems a little over the top sometimes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
I watched XX vs. Harimoto match and have to admit that Harimoto's tchoing is not that bad. Previously it was much worse: he used to arch his back and yell at the ceiling for like 30 seconds. I was afraid he was going to injure his spine oneday. That was obnoxious. Now he does not tcho more than other players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
For the guys asking for pictures of the national rubbers sold at the DHS booth:

View attachment 13361

View attachment 13362

View attachment 13363

I keep thinking about these pictures. If I was there, I'd definitely grab a blue H3N. I'd also try to to chat with the people in the booth about things like:

1) What exactly makes those rubber "national"
2) How to recognize genuine ones
3) How to get genuine ones

I know that it was discussed on forums zillions of times, but getting info right from the manufacturer is much more valuable.

Reactions: Suga D