Who do you think will win the World Championships?

• Ma Long

Votes: 65 37.6%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 67 38.7%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Wong Chun Ting

• Timo Boll

• Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
<font color="#00ff00"><strong>NOW LIVE:</strong></font> Ma Long vs Fan Zhendong FINAL! Live streaming <a href="https://tv.ittf.com/livestream/ittf-world-championships-table-1/783974" target="_blank">here.</a>

World Table Tennis Championships, 29 May 2017 - 05 June 2017, Dusseldorf, Germany.

Total number of players is 608

We are now in the lead up to the 2017 World Table Tennis Championships! It's now time for all the best players in the world to come together and make an impact on the global scene. The forthcoming World Championships will be staged in Germany from Monday 29th May to June 5th June 2017.

Check out the TTD Video Library which contains all the matches from the WTTC 2017!

Live streaming for the World Table Tennis Championships 2017 here.

Main Draw

***Full list of today's matches***

Men's Singles
Women's Singles
Men's Doubles
Women's Doubles
Mixed Doubles

China's Ma Long, the World #1 has entered the World Championships as the #1 seed.

malong2017.jpg

Ma Long the no.1 seed, photo by: ITTF Flickr

Men's Singles Seeds

wttcdimitrijovtcharov2017.jpg

Host nations Dimitrij Ovtcharov enters the tournament as the #5 seed - Photo by: ITTF Flickr

01) Ma Long
02) Fan Zhendong
03) Xu Xin
04) Zhang Jike
05) Dimitrij Ovtcharov
06) Jun Mizutani
07) Wong Chun Ting
08) Timo Boll
09) Chuang Chih Yuan
10) Koki Niwa
11) Jeoung Youngsik
12) Vladimir Samsonov
13) Simon Gauzy
14) Marcos Freitas
15) Kenta Matsudaira
16) Tiago Apolonia
17) Lee Sangsu
18) Stefan Fegerl
19) Kristian Karlsson
20) Kou Lei
21) Hugo Calderano
22) Bastian Steger
23) Mattias Karlsson
24) Yuto Muramatsu
25) Chen Chien-An

Full Men's Entries

Women's Singles Seeds

dingning2017.jpg

Ding Ning, the World #1 has entered the World Championships as the #1 seed. Photo by: ITTF Flickr

01) Ding Ning
02) Liu Shiwen
03) Zhu Yuling
04) Feng Tianwei
05) Chen Meng
06) Kasumi Ishikawa
07) Cheng I-Ching
08) Miu Hirano
09) Hitomi Sato
10) Mima Ito
11) Doo Hoi Kem
12) Liu Jia
13) Hu Melek
14) Petrissa Solja
15) Jie Li
16) Yu Mengy
17) Yang Haeun
18) Kim Song
19) Matilda Ekholm
20) Georgina Pota
21) Hyowon Suh
22) Elizabeta Samara
23) Miyu Kato
24) Lee Ho Ching
25) Li Qian

Full Womens Entries

Men's Doubles

01) Masataka Morizono / Yuya Oshima
02) Patrick Franziska / Jonathan Groth
03) Fan Zhendong / Xu Xin&lt
04) Jeoung Youngsik / Lee Sangsu
05) Hugo Calderano / Gustavo Tsuboi
17) Ma Long / Timo Boll

Women's Doubles

01) Liu Shiwen / Ding Ning
02) Zhu Yuling / Chen Meng
03) Doo Hoi Kem / Lee Ho Ching
04) Liu Shiwen / Ding Ning
05) Lee Zion / Haeuen Yang

Mixed Doubles

01) Lee Sangsu / Haeuen Yang
02) Wong Chun Ting / Doo Hoi Kem
03) Mattias Karlsson / Matilda Ekholm
04) Ho KWan Kit / Lee Ho Ching
05) Chen Chien An / Cheng I-Ching

The World Table Tennis Championships is fast approaching! This year’s line-up will see the best players in the world battling it for the title. The world’s best are preparing to head to Düsseldorf, Germany for the biggest event of 2017! Players will be looking to put their names in the history books! This year will see the world number 1 Ma Long defend his title.This is not going to be easy for the Rio Olympic Champion with lots of players chasing such as teammates from the Chinese national team and the best Japanese, Korean, German and other top players from other nations.

We can use this thread as a means to display all the latest results, videos and news from this prestigious tournament! What are your predictions from each event.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I am not so sure , his game still suffers from familiar weaknesses .. part of which is his physique ... you just cannot play backhand from the forehand side when you are so tall , he gets out of position because of over reliance on his backhand over the table flicks .. with the new ball which has less spin its turning out that banana flick isn't as effective as it was with the older ball and you need to have a solid forehand over the table serve receive ... he will suffer against players with good touch and control .. he was on cruise mode against Timo in the european championship , and Boll was able to come back to make to deuce on the 5th with smart play even when he was clearly getting overpowered by Dima ... power is not everything , you can see what happened in the other match when Kristian Karlsson played Samsonov , again the experience and the touch won .... based on how he is playing recently , in Korean open etc, I won't be too surprised if Timo makes a deeper run in WTTC than Dima
I'm on Dima on this one. Last time I saw his game he's on really good shape. I think it will be Dima vs FZD again in the finals. Also, I'll give a wildcard bet on Mizutani. He's also in great shape lately.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
I'm on Dima on this one. Last time I saw his game he's on really good shape. I think it will be Dima vs FZD again in the finals. Also, I'll give a wildcard bet on Mizutani. He's also in great shape lately.

I will be happy if Dima will not succumb to some TOP30 dude along the way to eventually face CNT. Anyway, I hope that Xu Xin will advance to the finals at least to face Captain Long there. That should had happened two years ago, now is the time!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
I am not so sure , his game still suffers from familiar weaknesses .. part of which is his physique ... you just cannot play backhand from the forehand side when you are so tall , he gets out of position because of over reliance on his backhand over the table flicks .. with the new ball which has less spin its turning out that banana flick isn't as effective as it was with the older ball and you need to have a solid forehand over the table serve receive ... he will suffer against players with good touch and control .. he was on cruise mode against Timo in the european championship , and Boll was able to come back to make to deuce on the 5th with smart play even when he was clearly getting overpowered by Dima ... power is not everything , you can see what happened in the other match when Kristian Karlsson played Samsonov , again the experience and the touch won .... based on how he is playing recently , in Korean open etc, I won't be too surprised if Timo makes a deeper run in WTTC than Dima

Why did Timo Boll slipped my mind? Shame on me. You are right Dima needs to play smarter in general and try not to push things, but still we can not deny the fact that his physique is at its best. It's easier to learn tactics and strategy than lift weights in the gym, at least for me. Boll on the other hand is slow, and I don't think he can handle any member of the CNT (ok, maybe Xu Xin or ZJK) but despite his wisdom of the game he still lacks power and speed. But that's just my opinion, I still acknowledge his Korean Open performance though, but will he be able to maintain it?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
I will be happy if Dima will not succumb to some TOP30 dude along the way to eventually face CNT. Anyway, I hope that Xu Xin will at it to the finals at least to face Captain Long there. That should had happened two years ago, now is the time!

I'm a penholder myself and I really want a penholder to win the WTTC but the only two penholders in there seems like they are in a crisis.

Xu Xin is starting to be really predictable and seems like he's losing some of his power (too much wife time, maybe).

Wong Chun Ting on the other hand is very inconsistent and didn't show much of an improvement lately. And he should use his FH more often instead of forcing things with his RPB.

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I think these older guys have made peaking at the right moment into an art form ... I remember heard in one of the interviews Schlager saying , I really don't need to practice 6-7 hours a day . I know what I need to do and how to peak.. check out how varied Vladi's performance was .. this year .. I am sure he was working on something ... I could see he was consistently making half long pushes against Kristian and forcing him to make weaker loops off the side of the tables .. so I really don't agree to your assertion that tactics / strategy is easier to learn compared to work in the gym ... the level at which these guys play is significantly different to us , to execute strategy at that level takes a different level of genius ... and you have to remember its not just learning new tactics , its the ability to quickly adapt to new tactics and coming up with solutions is what wins matches at this level ... adaptability and having layers of options are key .. kinda like Chess I guess ..

Why did Timo Boll slipped my mind? Shame on me. You are right Dima needs to play smarter in general and try not to push things, but still we can not deny the fact that his physique is at its best. It's easier to learn tactics and strategy than lift weights in the gym, at least for me. Boll on the other hand is slow, and I don't think he can handle any member of the CNT (ok, maybe Xu Xin or ZJK) but despite his wisdom of the game he still lacks power and speed. But that's just my opinion, I still acknowledge his Korean Open performance though, but will he be able to maintain it?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I think in general te gap between the chinese and the non chinese players is still way too high to see another world champion. in 2003 schlagers situation to win the wttc was incredible but compared to 2017 still way more to handle than now. the greatest disaster for cnt in the recent years just took place in the asian games when several players of the cnt got beaten by other korean and japanese players, but the greater problem is even if one is struggling onne time like fzd xx lg ml or zjk there are other 4 players in the draw who are still better oor at least as good as the rest of the world.

I d love to see dima and Timo go for the championchip even more timo has deserved to be crowned one time in his career with the title for all the years he definetly was in favor to win the trophy but didn t win because he didnt play his best in the right moments.

The only possibility i see is that there will be someone and beside the german players this would be anyone non chinese i will cheer for who is playing beyond his possibilities because of the crowd and the whole wttc surroundings. There are some guys who start to fly when the crowd is behind them and on the other side the mind game of the cnt players could get affected by that. The spectators could be the influence wo make the 5% difference to see maybe a non cnt player in the semis or even in the final to get that trophy every non cnt player has to improve by 2 classes up their level now or even more.

Still hoping for a good draw in the best case timo and dima going out of the way of lin gaoyuan in the first rounds and out of the way of ma long and fan zhendong till semis. dima xu xin and timo zjk would be pairings there is hope for a win i think.

mizu was way too much gambling and playing not agressive enough in the past but his performance in olympics against ma long was impressive, same by jung yeoung sik but both have struggled till then mizu against freitas in swizz and jung after his injurie first round at his local korean open.

wong is in style to beat xx once again or zjk if injured but if zjk is fine his blocking abilities too strong against penhold style, ma long and fzd still too good for him in my opinion.

exited to see panos he did very good the last weeks and is in great shape. unfortunately there will be no joo sae hyuk as it seems looking at the entries...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Although I want ZJK to win this and then rub his underwear in the umpire's face for a last controversial celebration, Ma Long will clinch it, I just cant see how anyone can beat him especially if ML takes the first set. FZD would be good news also, a start of a new rivarly maybe

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Although I want ZJK to win this and then rub his underwear in the umpire's face for a last controversial celebration, Ma Long will clinch it, I just cant see how anyone can beat him especially if ML takes the first set. FZD would be good news also, a start of a new rivarly maybe

The underwear part is so damn funny man !! I wish ZJK wins being a long time fan but chances looks slim.

Last edited:
Reactions: TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
I feel fzd is gonna take this one. I'm sure he has reached a level where his lack of experience is compensated by his hardwork and skill. He has proved himself by taking the golden ticket and also by winning the asian champs. As for his opponent in the finals, I can't say for sure. I think it would be ma long . I say this because after he lost to jeoung sangeun in asian champs, he is definitely going to prove himself in wttc

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

Reactions: ping fun
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
The underwear part is so damn funny man !! I wish ZJK wins being a long time fan but chancea looks slim.

ΥΕah they will meet in the semifinal if everything goes as predicted, if ZJK gets the first set or its 1-1 ML is not performing full beast mode and gets restricted/conservative, it has happened in all of his tight matches which were important . ML plays 100% freely when he is up 2-0 and keeps stepping on the gas so its very difficult to overcome such a deficit. Same situation will be if FZD meets ma long in the final

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
ΥΕah they will meet in the semifinal if everything goes as predicted, if ZJK gets the first set or its 1-1 ML is not performing full beast mode and gets restricted/conservative, it has happened in all of his tight matches which were important . ML plays 100% freely when he is up 2-0 and keeps stepping on the gas so its very difficult to overcome such a deficit. Same situation will be if FZD meets ma long in the final

You can't know that. Seed #3 + #4 are randomly distributed to #1 + #2 seeds. Ma Long will face either ZJK or Xu Xin.

Or am I wrong?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016

If ZJK beats ML in semi, it will be like final for him. I think he defeated Ma Long last in Kuwait Open in an international match. what a moment that will be for ZJK fans. Sweeeet !!!

Reactions: ping fun