Japan korbel

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
This is funny, I bought this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Butterfly-7100-Petr-Korbel-FL-Blade/dp/B000AS886A

It was actually $50 with free shipping and took a month to arrive and weighed 98g.

I thought the price maybe had an impact on the quality and ordered from our local distributor.

http://shop.butterflyonline.com/petr-korbel-blades

Got one at 96g. Looked the same, played equally well. One of my training partners has one at 95g.

In the end, it really depends on how long you want to run on that gerbil wheel...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
It was actually $50 with free shipping and took a month to arrive and weighed 98g.

First of all - sorry for bumping an old thread as this seem to be the biggest deadly sin around here ;)

I just received a Korbl Japan (silver tag) which I bought via Rakuten. I'm really curious about the weight as mine comes in at 90g. How can it differ so much? 8g is a lot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
First of all - sorry for bumping an old thread as this seem to be the biggest deadly sin around here ;)

I just received a Korbl Japan (silver tag) which I bought via Rakuten. I'm really curious about the weight as mine comes in at 90g. How can it differ so much? 8g is a lot.

Wood is a living thing and quality control for unofficial sources and official sources may vary.

Reactions: mart1nandersson
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Wood is a living thing and quality control for unofficial sources and official sources may vary.

Fair enough. Does it indicate quality (i.e. heavier = better) or is it purely down to personal preference?

I normally prefer fairly light blades so I think that 90g will be just right for me. I just bought it to try out some rubbers that my inner EJ has invested in.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Fair enough. Does it indicate quality (i.e. heavier = better) or is it purely down to personal preference?

I normally prefer fairly light blades so I think that 90g will be just right for me. I just bought it to try out some rubbers that my inner EJ has invested in.

Japanese tend to look for a blade with lighter dead weight while the rest of the world tend to prefer heavier blade. So if you prefer light blade, don't worry too much about it as the quality won't be affected that much according to ex-chief craftsman at Butterfly.

Reactions: mart1nandersson
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Japanese tend to look for a blade with lighter dead weight while the rest of the world tend to prefer heavier blade. So if you prefer light blade, don't worry too much about it as the quality won't be affected that much according to ex-chief craftsman at Butterfly.

Sorry to go into semantics but what do you mean with: "as the quality won't be affected that much"?

Does this imply heavier = higher quality / better wood?

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews

Why yes, of course there must be a single metric behind that oh so much headachingly far too complex notion.

Nooo, just teasing. In fact, I have joined the ranks of the disbelievers in the underlying notion of reducing qualitative properties to quantitative measurements and now would propose the following truism: Quantity is that which can be measured, quality is that which cannot. Yet I still maintain the notion is valid and makes sense, resorting to a Louis Armstrong-like last line of defense: if you gotta ask, you aint never gonna get to know. Yes, I know, bouts of mysticism. It's a strange world after all.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Sorry to go into semantics but what do you mean with: "as the quality won't be affected that much"?

Nope, it doesn't. It means that the heavier blade is just as likely be a "dud" as the lighter blade. It might give you a better feel but that's very subjective and very much depends on one's personal experiences.

Reactions: Suga D