Which Clipper?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
I am thinking of buying a Stiga Clipper blade but can't decide on which one. Clipper CR CWR, Clipper CR, Clipper CR (non CWR),Clipper CWR, and just Clipper. Which one is the most popular ? Thanks for any guidance.

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
I agree with Carl here. I recently bought a Stiga Clipper Classic (non-WRB, non-CR) and it plays really good. The reason I switched to all wood is that I was not getting enough feel of the ball, which I felt somehow matter in my game where I like to feel the ball on the blade more while serving and topspinning it. However, there are a few things which I kind of dislike as the initial impression and I feel that I should also share them with you.
The blade is not ready to use out of the box, which means you need to sand the handle and wings. Also, on a close observation you will see that the topmost limba layer is very thin and there is a risk that you might peel of some of it while changing rubbers. Again here, the knowledge and experience of forum members like Carl came to my rescue. I used Minwax wipe-on poly to seal the blade and the handle.
The biggest issue which I am still facing is wide wings of the blade (the part where handle ends and joins the upper part of the blade) so while using wrist on backhand the wing kind of bumps into my palm causing an uncomfortable feeling. This I feel would be a little getting-used-to-stuff for me. Other than this, I have also applied a grip tape on the handle as I didn't want my sweat to be absorbed in the handle. I read somewhere on this forum that sweat absorption in the blade handle changes the weight and also changes the playing characteristics of the blade which I don't want to change for a longer duration.
From playing point of view, I feel that the blade is fantastic. I am still in the transition period, so I don't think that it is good enough for me to say more about it at the present moment but as time passes by and I keep my practice up I will surely come up with a more detailed review on my experience with Stiga Clipper Classic.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I agree with Carl here. I recently bought a Stiga Clipper Classic (non-WRB, non-CR) and it plays really good. The reason I switched to all wood is that I was not getting enough feel of the ball, which I felt somehow matter in my game where I like to feel the ball on the blade more while serving and topspinning it. However, there are a few things which I kind of dislike as the initial impression and I feel that I should also share them with you.
The blade is not ready to use out of the box, which means you need to sand the handle and wings. Also, on a close observation you will see that the topmost limba layer is very thin and there is a risk that you might peel of some of it while changing rubbers. Again here, the knowledge and experience of forum members like Carl came to my rescue. I used Minwax wipe-on poly to seal the blade and the handle.
The biggest issue which I am still facing is wide wings of the blade (the part where handle ends and joins the upper part of the blade) so while using wrist on backhand the wing kind of bumps into my palm causing an uncomfortable feeling. This I feel would be a little getting-used-to-stuff for me. Other than this, I have also applied a grip tape on the handle as I didn't want my sweat to be absorbed in the handle. I read somewhere on this forum that sweat absorption in the blade handle changes the weight and also changes the playing characteristics of the blade which I don't want to change for a longer duration.
From playing point of view, I feel that the blade is fantastic. I am still in the transition period, so I don't think that it is good enough for me to say more about it at the present moment but as time passes by and I keep my practice up I will surely come up with a more detailed review on my experience with Stiga Clipper Classic.

Excellent post. Stiga products all seem to me to need some tech work for finishing them. There was a point where I liked that. Then I decided it wasn't professional that Stiga has blades that cost $200.00 that still need that kind of tech work.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

if you would be able to get an adidas challenge speed blade that is much better than any clipper wood you will find. the handle is smooth and much more comfortable and the wing part is already sanded so it doesn't feel sharp.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
the reason that stiga does not make their blades smooth is that according to them it goes down to the player to customize its smoothness. i dunno why but that is their reasoning.

I used to think that was okay. But I have had Stiga blades where there were big splinters coming out the edge. Where the logo was put in the lens askew like a drunken 3 year old had done it as her art project. I had one blade where the bottom of the handle was cut lopsided and it was definitely not on purpose. So at a certain point, I stopped feeling it was okay that they sold things that, in my opinion were not finished products.

I like adding the finishing touches myself anyway. I always do it. But a blade that is already nicely finished where you personalize it a little is very different than a blade where, if you didn't do a decent amount of work to finish it, you would get splinters and a jagged edge in your hand is not so great.

When you have done the tech work, the blades play very nicely. But I feel they are lacking in quality control and finishing.

I am okay with the thin top ply because that really does help with the blade having more feeling. But they still could have them finished in some way where people who don't know you need to seal the blade don't destroy it the first time they change their rubbers.

A Clipper is still a great blade at an excellent price. So it is just worth knowing. But when that kind of stuff happens with a Stiga Rosewood XO at $179.95 then I think there is something off.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
I will probably order the Clipper Classic (non CR, non wrb). As for finishing I don't mind that and I always seal the blade surface of my blades with MinWax wipe on wipe off, but just lightly, one, 2 coats at the most. Thanks for the guidance guys.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Well i don't have anything to compare to as I haven't tried those other clippers. But I have the clipper classic in penhold and it has been, and always will be my finest blade.

I particularly like it for short pips or any pips play more accurately. I know tons of people have played it with inverted so I know it can be done but I'm not as big on it for inverted play. For inverted play, I tend to like more 5 ply flexy blades and the clipper classic is the farthest thing from that.

But I think you will enjoy your decision. Welcome to the Clipper club. :)

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
I am thinking of buying a Stiga Clipper blade but can't decide on which one. Clipper CR CWR, Clipper CR, Clipper CR (non CWR),Clipper CWR, and just Clipper. Which one is the most popular ? Thanks for any guidance.
The WRB variant has hollow handle, makes it head heavy, it suits some players. The CR has a cured surface that makes it harder, a bit faster and more direct.

I like the normal one, it has better control and feel, and even though it's slower, it still isn't slow by any means, it's a fast blade. It excels in blocking and countering, it has low throw so it's good close to the table, pair with high throw rubber, like Tenergy 05, and it's a do it all that doesn't have any weak spots.

It's up to you if you want it to be harder(CR), or have more weight forward(WRB).

Just make sure to ask for heavy ones, over 93 grams for the normal one and over 90 grams for the WRB. Anything lower than these and it will not have any feel or vibration, it's a common... let's say defect. It's good if you play with pips to have low vibration, but for normal rubbers you need the vibration. It doesn't play correctly with rubbers if it's light and you will hate it.