Equipment:
      Blade dhs pg7
      Forehand Rubber rakza7
      Backhand Rubber vega pro

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts

Which Clipper?

I am thinking of buying a Stiga Clipper blade but can't decide on which one. Clipper CR CWR, Clipper CR, Clipper CR (non CWR),Clipper CWR, and just Clipper. Which one is the most popular ? Thanks for any guidance.

2. Top | #2
      This user has no status.

Equipment Expert
      Master TTD Member Country: Philippines
      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Offensive S; Tmount T540; Xiom Vega Euro
      Forehand Rubber Kokutaku 007 Pro; Hurricane 3; Tibhar MX-S
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Omega 7 Hyper; Stiga DNA H; Joola Maxxx 500

Reviews
      Read 77 Reviews
      Liked 1,763 Times in 1,130 Posts
      Try the clipper cr non wrb. It is not as head heavy as te other ones. The clipper cc is te fastest and most stiff clipper and it is also the heaviest.

3. Top | #3
      This user has no status.

Equipment Expert
      Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 77 Reviews
      If you can find an adidas challenge speed or.itc challenge speed, both would be good clipper alternatives.

4. Top | #4
      says Krooklyn District Goon Squad
      Commissioner

Equipment Expert
      Super Moderator Country: United States
      Equipment:
      Blade OSP Virtuoso +
      Forehand Rubber BH:Red F-XP
      Backhand Rubber FH:Black M-XP

Reviews
      Read 11 Reviews
      Liked 14,248 Times in 6,802 Posts
      The basic Clipper, the Clipper Classic, no CR and no WRB is the one I like the best.
      Spin Everything.

5. The Following 3 Users Like UpSideDownCarl's Post:

dio_hgw (05-15-2017),KM1976 (05-14-2017),OldschoolPenholder (05-15-2017)

6. Top | #5
      says Focusing on Optimum Mechanics

Advanced TTD Member Country: United States
      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Zhang Jike ALC/TB ALC
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 05
      Backhand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX

Reviews
      Read 3 Reviews
      Liked 93 Times in 59 Posts
      I agree with Carl here. I recently bought a Stiga Clipper Classic (non-WRB, non-CR) and it plays really good. The reason I switched to all wood is that I was not getting enough feel of the ball, which I felt somehow matter in my game where I like to feel the ball on the blade more while serving and topspinning it. However, there are a few things which I kind of dislike as the initial impression and I feel that I should also share them with you.
      The blade is not ready to use out of the box, which means you need to sand the handle and wings. Also, on a close observation you will see that the topmost limba layer is very thin and there is a risk that you might peel of some of it while changing rubbers. Again here, the knowledge and experience of forum members like Carl came to my rescue. I used Minwax wipe-on poly to seal the blade and the handle.
      The biggest issue which I am still facing is wide wings of the blade (the part where handle ends and joins the upper part of the blade) so while using wrist on backhand the wing kind of bumps into my palm causing an uncomfortable feeling. This I feel would be a little getting-used-to-stuff for me. Other than this, I have also applied a grip tape on the handle as I didn't want my sweat to be absorbed in the handle. I read somewhere on this forum that sweat absorption in the blade handle changes the weight and also changes the playing characteristics of the blade which I don't want to change for a longer duration.
      From playing point of view, I feel that the blade is fantastic. I am still in the transition period, so I don't think that it is good enough for me to say more about it at the present moment but as time passes by and I keep my practice up I will surely come up with a more detailed review on my experience with Stiga Clipper Classic.
      Most of the times practice, patience and an observant mind answers all your questions

7. The Following 2 Users Like KM1976's Post:

NextLevel (05-15-2017),UpSideDownCarl (05-14-2017)

8. Top | #6
      Commissioner

Equipment Expert
      Equipment:
      Blade OSP Virtuoso +

Reviews
      Read 11 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by KM1976 View Post
      I agree with Carl here. I recently bought a Stiga Clipper Classic (non-WRB, non-CR) and it plays really good. The reason I switched to all wood is that I was not getting enough feel of the ball, which I felt somehow matter in my game where I like to feel the ball on the blade more while serving and topspinning it. However, there are a few things which I kind of dislike as the initial impression and I feel that I should also share them with you.
      The blade is not ready to use out of the box, which means you need to sand the handle and wings. Also, on a close observation you will see that the topmost limba layer is very thin and there is a risk that you might peel of some of it while changing rubbers. Again here, the knowledge and experience of forum members like Carl came to my rescue. I used Minwax wipe-on poly to seal the blade and the handle.
      The biggest issue which I am still facing is wide wings of the blade (the part where handle ends and joins the upper part of the blade) so while using wrist on backhand the wing kind of bumps into my palm causing an uncomfortable feeling. This I feel would be a little getting-used-to-stuff for me. Other than this, I have also applied a grip tape on the handle as I didn't want my sweat to be absorbed in the handle. I read somewhere on this forum that sweat absorption in the blade handle changes the weight and also changes the playing characteristics of the blade which I don't want to change for a longer duration.
      From playing point of view, I feel that the blade is fantastic. I am still in the transition period, so I don't think that it is good enough for me to say more about it at the present moment but as time passes by and I keep my practice up I will surely come up with a more detailed review on my experience with Stiga Clipper Classic.
      Excellent post. Stiga products all seem to me to need some tech work for finishing them. There was a point where I liked that. Then I decided it wasn't professional that Stiga has blades that cost $200.00 that still need that kind of tech work.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

9. The Following 2 Users Like UpSideDownCarl's Post:

NextLevel (05-15-2017),OldschoolPenholder (05-15-2017)

10. Top | #7
      This user has no status.

Equipment Expert
      Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 77 Reviews
      the reason that stiga does not make their blades smooth is that according to them it goes down to the player to customize its smoothness. i dunno why but that is their reasoning.
      ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor at your service!

11. Top | #8
      This user has no status.

Equipment Expert
      Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 77 Reviews
      if you would be able to get an adidas challenge speed blade that is much better than any clipper wood you will find. the handle is smooth and much more comfortable and the wing part is already sanded so it doesn't feel sharp.

12. Top | #9
      Commissioner

Equipment Expert
      Equipment:
      Blade OSP Virtuoso +

Reviews
      Read 11 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by yogi_bear View Post
      the reason that stiga does not make their blades smooth is that according to them it goes down to the player to customize its smoothness. i dunno why but that is their reasoning.
      I used to think that was okay. But I have had Stiga blades where there were big splinters coming out the edge. Where the logo was put in the lens askew like a drunken 3 year old had done it as her art project. I had one blade where the bottom of the handle was cut lopsided and it was definitely not on purpose. So at a certain point, I stopped feeling it was okay that they sold things that, in my opinion were not finished products.

I like adding the finishing touches myself anyway. I always do it. But a blade that is already nicely finished where you personalize it a little is very different than a blade where, if you didn't do a decent amount of work to finish it, you would get splinters and a jagged edge in your hand is not so great.

When you have done the tech work, the blades play very nicely. But I feel they are lacking in quality control and finishing.

I am okay with the thin top ply because that really does help with the blade having more feeling. But they still could have them finished in some way where people who don't know you need to seal the blade don't destroy it the first time they change their rubbers.

A Clipper is still a great blade at an excellent price. So it is just worth knowing. But when that kind of stuff happens with a Stiga Rosewood XO at $179.95 then I think there is something off.
      Last edited by UpSideDownCarl; 05-15-2017 at 03:19 AM.

13. The Following User Likes UpSideDownCarl's Post:

OldschoolPenholder (05-15-2017)

14. Top | #10
      This user has no status.

Established TTD Member Country: United States

Equipment:
      Blade dhs pg7
      Forehand Rubber rakza7
      Backhand Rubber vega pro

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
      I will probably order the Clipper Classic (non CR, non wrb). As for finishing I don't mind that and I always seal the blade surface of my blades with MinWax wipe on wipe off, but just lightly, one, 2 coats at the most. Thanks for the guidance guys.

15. The Following User Likes flash's Post:

UpSideDownCarl (05-15-2017)

16. Top | #11
      This user has no status.

Established TTD Member Country: United States
      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Ice Cream AZX i
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Omega VII Euro
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Omega VII Euro

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 56 Times in 35 Posts
      Clipper CR WRB is the best blade period.
      Yakshemash

17. Top | #12
      This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member Country: United States
      Equipment:
      Blade Gambler | Fire Dragon Fast - Penhold
      Forehand Rubber DHS | H3 Neo
      Backhand Rubber Dawei | 2008XP

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1,139 Times in 573 Posts
      Well i don't have anything to compare to as I haven't tried those other clippers. But I have the clipper classic in penhold and it has been, and always will be my finest blade.

I particularly like it for short pips or any pips play more accurately. I know tons of people have played it with inverted so I know it can be done but I'm not as big on it for inverted play. For inverted play, I tend to like more 5 ply flexy blades and the clipper classic is the farthest thing from that.

But I think you will enjoy your decision. Welcome to the Clipper club.
      My youtube channel of various games & highlights from club throughout the years:
      http://bit.ly/2NDjqd4

18. The Following User Likes suds79's Post:

OldschoolPenholder (05-15-2017)