Tibhar Aurus Prime and Aurus Select

This user has no status.
Look what I have here! Test rubbers for Tibhar Aurus Prime and Aurus Select! This is possible because of tt-shop.de and Tibhar, who are providing me with these babies ;-) The new Tibhar rubbers will be released to the market in July. But I will write a review on my blog and here on TTD as soon as I have tested them :)

cache.php
cache.php
cache.php

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
How is the Aurus Select compared to the Rozena? :)

On first and short impressions, Aurus Select is the better Rozena for one thing at least: price. Basically, they are both 45 Euro over here, but nearly any shop will give you a 20 % discount on Tibhar (sometimes depending on quantity), personal/club discounts of even 30 % are possible.

As for their playing characteristics, Aurus Select feels a little softer but also very grippy and plays easily with probably even less catapult than Rozena - but this I need to verify when playing with Aurus Select on a different blade. Of course there is always some kind of difference between ESN and European "feel", although you can switch from one to the other more easily than from most Chinese rubbers to others.

Conclusion: If a winged logo on your rubber makes you feel better go for Rozena, otherwise save your money.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
I hope a review, how is the Aurus Select compared to the Aurus Soft! because I use the "soft" 1,7 in my backhand on a Primorac blade too ;)
Thanks

Quote from tt89player: "[FONT=&quot]Am ehesten würde ich den Tibhar Aurus Select mit dem Aurus Soft vergleichen wollen, welche von der Gesamthärte fast ähnlich sind. Während der Aurus Soft mehr Zug und Dynamik im Halbdistanzspiel entwickelt, kann mit dem Aurus Select hauptsächlich in Tischnähe sicher und spinnig eröffnet werden. Im Blockspiel geben sich die beiden Beläge nicht viel."[/FONT]

on his blog tt-spin.de tt89player drew a comparison. He said that the hardness is almost similar. the Aurus soft produces more pace and is more dynamic from mid distance, while the Aurus Select is safe to open up with near the table. no real difference in blocking.
He also said that the aurus selects could be really controlled in lower sponge hardness. but he just assumes this without having tested it.

He tested the Aurus Select on a primorac.

Reactions: Suga D and Kaiwen
This user has no status.
I tried the Aurus Select on both the TB ALC and Freitas ALC.
It has the great feeling of a soft rubber, with the power of medium-hard sponge. I was very impressed.
But probably it works well on harder blades.

TB ALC + Aurus Select felt fantastic, the combination was perfect to me, power+control.
Freitas ALC + Aurus Select maybe not the best, but still good. The Freitas has already a great control itself, so probably the the Prime would be optimal (but i never tried it).

I'm going to buy it and put it on my other TB ALC.
Strongly recommended (at least the Aurus Select).

says yes, I did thanks. I've just sent an email with the...
says yes, I did thanks. I've just sent an email with the...
Aug 2017
I've tried aurus prime on a couple of offensive blades, LSW, True Carbon, Maze, etc.
I had to try it on so many different blades because I was surprised by how bad it played on my first blade.
Compared to mxp it is maybe a little faster but the spin and control are considerably worse. For me, I could not get any feeling with this rubber, it was just very numb.

Maybe I just got a bad rubber or need to give it more time because I've heard a lot of good things about it but I was very unimpressed.

Aurus Prime

cache.php

Aurus Select

cache.php

Tibhar Aurus Prime & Select Review

I finally got my 2 Tibhar rubbers after 3 months of waiting due to being lost in the post office in Germany before it was finally delivered to my country. I had the no - label rubbers that came to me. The Aurus Prime is the one with the purple of violet sponge while the Select version is the one with the pink sponge.​ Both rubbers are medium heavy. The Prime version weighs about 67-69 grams and the Select version at 65-67 grams both are at their uncut weights. The Aurus Prime (AP) feels medium hard and the Aurus Select (AS) feels medium and not entirely medium soft. I have the max versions and not the 2.1mm ones. Both topsheets are very grippy and little tack in them. After having tested all major ESN rubbers with the newer generation thick-sponge, thin topsheet designs, I can now compare them with their performances.

How fast are the AP and AS rubbers? Well, we need to take into account the fact that both rubbers are having a sponge thicker than 2.1mm and are probably up to 2.3mm thick. At max thickness the Aurus Prime seem to be faster than Tibhar MX-P but this is hardly noticeable because the difference is very small. If we put the thickness of the AP at 2.1mm, the MX-P is faster than AP by a clear lead.
The Aurus Select is also a very fast and bouncy rubber. It is faster than the Tibhar FX-P or Quantum-S rubbers but the AS feels a tad harder when hitting with the AS. When comparing the AS and AP with other brands, the Aurus Prime is in par with Donic's Bluestorm Z1 rubber. Actually, the Z1 Bluestorm is the closest rubber I can compare the Aurus Prime with because they have almost the same feel and characteristics while the Aurus Select is almost similar with the Z2 version having almost the same sponge hardness. The AP has more control compared to the Rhyzer 48 and the AS has more control compared to the Rhyzer 43 rubber. With my time using the Rhyzers, I had to adjust with effort in terms of control because the balls tend to go long. I had no such problem with the As and AP rubbers because they are easier to control but if you only seek speed and power, the Rhyzers are that fast.

The Aurus Prime needs some sort of specific handling with strokes. As I have been playing with it for a few days, the AP seem to favor strokes that are direct, strong and sure. The AP favors strong topspin attacks versus the slow spinny loops. It can do spinny loops but I do not think it is as effective as doing it with stronger loops that compresses the sponge more. It rewards very strong shots but it is only above average with less powerful attacks like flicks. When you engage the sponge more, you will see the power of AP and AS rubbers because they are just built to overcome incoming spin especially underspin. With the AP and AS rubbers, you need lesser amount of sponge compression compared to the Omega VII Pro wherein it requires you to hit through the sponge more. When you brush the ball, it seems the AP and AS would favor your style more as compared to the O7P that it is more like a hitting style of stroke. The AS is both good as a forehand and backhand rubber.

Spinwise, the level of spin is extremely high for both AP and AS. They are almost as spinny as the MX-P. Depending on the stroke and skill, I could say MX-P is still easier to produce spin. This is probably the reason why a lot of people still use MX-P despite having newer generation of rubbers available in the market. Both rubbers produce a medium high to high arc when looping. Again, I would emphasize on placing stronger shots with the AS and AP because they seem to have this property of an all out attacking rubber. I could truly appreciate the directness of both rubbers when attacking. Despite having high level of grip for both rubbers, the AS and AP are both mildly sensitive towards incoming spin so blocking or doing counter-spins are not hard. Pushing is very spinny too as well as serving.
With subtle strokes like drop shots or flicks, they perform above average which is lower to that of the MX-P wherein the MX-P seem to be better in all aspects like attacking, blocking and doing short strokes but the AP and AS rubbers doing better for stronger shots like loop drives and counter loops away from the table wherein both Aurus rubbers are easier to handle.

Why people are still clinging to MX-P? Several reasons that are possible and everybody would agree. MX-P has been around for several years and it has been proven as a top rubber despite changing the ball material. The rubber seem to have lost only a small level of spin with the ball change and still perform better compared to its contemporaries from other brands. It is also cheaper wherein you can buy one as cheap as 35usd at the right distributors. The AP and AS rubbers are a fresh offering from Tibhar and if people would be able to try them, they can persuade some of the MX-P users to change over to these 2 rubbers. The Aurus rubbers have an impact on the game unlike the Quantum rubbers before that the Aurus Select and Prime can compete with MX-P's performance with an additional better handling and being more forgiving in your risky shots. Both the AP and AS are excellent rubbers and they can be used both as forehand and backhand rubbers interchangeably but I would favor the AP as a backhand rubber because I could brush the ball easily and attack with backhand topspin. As a forehand rubber, I like the AP because despite being a very fast rubber, it seems I can control it way better than MX-P. I think this is a trend with new ESN rubbers. Better handling and control with attacks this is in exception to the Rhyzer series that using the 2.1mm version would be easier.

This user has no status.
I finally got my Tibhar Aurus Select me too! Max thickness, and I put it on my Timo Boll ALC.
Nice package.

Uncut weighs 64gr. In the average of medium-hard rubbers.

Glued with Donic Vario Clean, as usual.

After a good test, I can say for sure that the feeling is medium-soft.
It acts actually like a soft rubber. So high throw angle, quite safe and forgiving.
When putting force, the trajectory becomes flatter and spin increase. But in general, there's plenty of spin already.
It's a great rubber to me.
It requires very short time to adapt to it. I would say that even beginner-intermediate players will enjoy it.
Probably the Prime would be even better in terms of power.

Compared with the Rasanter R42 (which should be softer than the Aurus Select), the feeling is the opposite.
The Rasanter feels more hard, less forgiving. Trajectory is flatter than the Aurus S. I required some times to got used to it.
Probably it's not for beginners.
But the Rasanter is really really great for counter topspin, it's a machine. And it hooks the ball like Tenergy.
But the spin it's less than Aurus S, at least that was my feeling..
Here's the Tibhar compared with the Rasanter R42 of my other Timo Boll ALC.