Removing glue from rubber topsheet?

This user has no status.
Did my first blade rubber glue assembly today. Functionally went well, but aesthetically it was disastrous, especially the knife job. The rubber edge looks like moon craters.

Anyway, on one rubber,I got a couple glue spots on the topsheet. They are mostly close to the edge, so they shouldn't affect playing too much, but I'm very annoyed.

YouTube said masking tape removes it, but I can tell you that's bs. Rubber cleaner didn't seem to work either, and neither did water or a bit of hand soap.

Any tips? It's a black Yasaka Rising Dragon, and it's not really as tacky as I anticipated.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Did my first blade rubber glue assembly today. Functionally went well, but aesthetically it was disastrous, especially the knife job. The rubber edge looks like moon craters.

Anyway, on one rubber,I got a couple glue spots on the topsheet. They are mostly close to the edge, so they shouldn't affect playing too much, but I'm very annoyed.

YouTube said masking tape removes it, but I can tell you that's bs. Rubber cleaner didn't seem to work either, and neither did water or a bit of hand soap.

Any tips? It's a black Yasaka Rising Dragon, and it's not really as tacky as I anticipated.

What kind of glue did you use. If you got some glue on the topsheet and you used a normal WBG for gluing, you should be able to rub it off with your finger.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Also, show photo of cutting job. I am sure it is better than you are thinking. It does not have to be perfect. You only hit with the part on the blade face. Not with the edge.

After you have done it a few more times it becomes easier.

This user has no status.
Please see pic below. The most obvious spots are 10-11 o'clock by the edge, and 7-8 o'clock an inch or so from the edge. I used Revolution 3 glue, medium viscosity. Someone mentioned using glue thinner / lighter fluid oil etc. I was afraid of using it on the topsheet, especially a new rubber, but I'll probably try it.

And the knife job is as bad as it looks lol... In fact, it looks better in the pic, cuz I hid the ugliness with some edge tape.

IMG_20170519_221353.jpg

This user has no status.
That doesn't look bad at all. Next time, if you are using a razor, score around the blade's edge a few times instead of trying to make the cut in one pass. This will be especially helpful for elastic feeling rubber/sponge. Unfortunately, I have no insight on removing glue from the rubber face. I still use rubber cement from the hobby store and allow it to evaporate for a few days before attaching to the blade. I can't get it off with my finger either. It's as if they chemically bonded together some how.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Solvents like glue thinner and lighter fluid will cause the area of your topsheet you put it on to expand and look like FrankenRubber. And then you will think you ruined your rubber. And then the topsheet will shrink back when the solvent evaporates fully in a week or so.

But you should really be able to rub it off with your finger. Or you can ignore it and it will disappear over time. You don't hit on that part of the rubber unless you have made a mistake. And you don't hit on the messed up part of the cut job either. So stop worrying about things that are not important.

However, you should be able to take that edge tape off and apply it better. That part is a bit ridiculous.

Also, if you put the blade face with the rubber, on a cutting surface, and took a good box cutter or X-Acto knife, you could cut away some of the excess rubber that is hanging off the edge of the blade.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: Dan

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
It doesn't look to bad youngdude, it shouldn't effect the performance. I always glue rubbers with a sheet of paper underneath (usually the sheet provided within the rubber packaging). Then no glue touches the rubber topsheet.

Have fun playing with your setup :)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You should be able to use the basic method this guy does, if you want to even some of the worse parts out a little.

I cut with scissors. But for salvaging some of what you have done, I would use the method in that video on, just the jagged parts of rubber that go past the blade's edge.

I guess, really, I would ignore it and not worry about it. But that is the method I would use if I decided to fix it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
As Carl and Dan have pointed out: it doesn't affect playing, but if it bothers you because of the look then the Revolution 3 glue is very easy to remove.
As everyone mentioned, just use your thumb and gently rub it off from inside to outside.
If you get impatient you could pour a drop of Babyoil( or Sunfloweroil or whatever oil is available to you) on your fingertip. (Don't pour directly in the rubber) and keep rubbing a minute or so.

Remember though, a drop should be more than enough.
But actually that shouldn't be necessary at all with the R3 glue. And glue thinner liquid isn't necessary at all!
Plus I could imagine it probably wouldn't do much to a latex based glue, those thinners are rather used on VOC containing glues [i've only tried that with speedglue]

Don't worry, buddy, I've had this happen so many times with the R3, 'cause I'm not stingy when using it and especially in the beginning often applied more than needed and since it's more runny than e.g. Finezip it happened frequently but i never had to worry to remove it. It just came off with a gentle rub.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am sure Loretta Bobbitt found a use for those back in the day too. :)

Hahahaha. Not that spelling maters, I knew Loretta was wrong but thought it was Loraine. However, the name was Lorena.

Hahahaha.

Reactions: Der_Echte
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Which is why they are good for this job too. You can also use them to trim carpets or for cheap cosmetic surgery.

Reactions: Der_Echte
Guys, I happened to have a lot of gooish glue marks on my taxky rubber. It's Genesis II-M. What.bothers.me a lot is that I can see ugly stains left on the topsheet as I am using my fingers tompeel the glue off. And not only that, I suspect the topsheet is being damaged, and tha tack is disappearing. Can you advise me.on this, please?