Master TTD Member Country: England
      Equipment:
      Blade Waldner Carbon
      Forehand Rubber Hurricane 3
      Backhand Rubber Tenergy 05

Reviews
      Read 19 Reviews
      Liked 828 Times in 541 Posts

Plastic ball vs Celluloid ball rubber wear..

Plastic ball vs Celluloid ball rubber wear.

Why does the Celluloid ball have greater friction then the plastic ball, yet the plastic ball still wears down rubbers faster? Bearing in mind both balls also weigh the same and are near enough identical in surface area.

2. Top | #2
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: Croatia

Equipment:
      Blade Yinhe/Galaxy Venus 14
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar Evolution MX-P

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts
      Plastic balls surface is rougher, that's why the rubber wear down faster. How come it has lesser friction/spin than, maybe it's similar to racing car's having slick tires.

3. Top | #3
      This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member Country: Hungary

Equipment:
      Blade LHS Offensive 3.2
      Forehand Rubber Donic Acuda S1
      Backhand Rubber Donic Acuda S1

Reviews
      Read 3 Reviews
      Liked 955 Times in 543 Posts
      Maybe you started to use stronger shots?

4. Top | #4
      says Ba'al has spoken

Master TTD Member

Reviews
      Read 8 Reviews
      Liked 4,468 Times in 1,816 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by 6Finger View Post
      Plastic balls surface is rougher, that's why the rubber wear down faster. How come it has lesser friction/spin than, maybe it's similar to racing car's having slick tires.
      The spin per se can be explained by the greater size and weight of 40+ balls. These new balls all have more inertia, so you won't get the same angular momentum on the ball, all other things being equal.

I think different plastic balls do have differences in surface roughness that affect how they behave after they bounce, though, and in some cases even how they fly through the air. This also comes into play when they get very smooth from wear.

I definitely have the impression that plastic balls wear out most rubbers faster.

5. The Following User Likes Baal's Post:

UpSideDownCarl (05-23-2017)

6. Top | #5
      This user has no status.

Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Hadraw VR
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-K
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar MX-K

Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 12,358 Times in 5,452 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Baal View Post
      The spin per se can be explained by the greater size and weight of 40+ balls. These new balls all have more inertia, so you won't get the same angular momentum on the ball, all other things being equal.

I think different plastic balls do have differences in surface roughness that affect how they behave after they bounce, though, and in some cases even how they fly through the air. This also comes into play when they get very smooth from wear.

I definitely have the impression that plastic balls wear out most rubbers faster.
      But I also get the impression that the increased surface friction and less spin potential make the used rubbers usable for longer. I can loop with rubbers that I would have discarded ages ago with the cell ball. Or maybe my technique is just better and I am overthinking it.
      Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

7. The Following 2 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

TTHopeful (05-23-2017),UpSideDownCarl (05-23-2017)

8. Top | #6
      says Ba'al has spoken

Master TTD Member

Reviews
      Read 8 Reviews
      I can't tell because Karis M simply seems to not wear at all. It is weird. It looked like cheap bad rubber when I first glued it on (the look is deceiving), but it seems to have simply changed at all since early January. MX-P or T05 would be in bad shape by now.

9. The Following 2 Users Like Baal's Post:

FloKing (05-24-2017),UpSideDownCarl (05-24-2017)

10. Top | #7
      This user has no status.

Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Hadraw VR
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-K
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar MX-K

Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 12,358 Times in 5,452 Posts
      I can't tell because Karis M simply seems to not wear at all. It is weird. It looked like cheap bad rubber when I first glued it on (the look is deceiving), but it seems to have simply changed at all since early January. MX-P or T05 would be in bad shape by now.
      Mine looks really bad. But it plays really well.

BTW, it plays extra awesome with Dandoy Bioboost. Don't ask me how I know, I just do.

11. The Following 4 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

42andbackpains (05-24-2017),Suga D (05-24-2017),TTHopeful (05-23-2017),UpSideDownCarl (05-24-2017)

12. Top | #8
      says Dima... Amazing...

Equipment:
      Blade Waldner Carbon

Reviews
      Read 19 Reviews

Ok that makes sense. I feel my rubbers wear out a lot quicker, do 40+ balls weigh more than celluloid balls baal?

13. Top | #9
      This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member Country: United States

Equipment:
      Blade yinhe w-6 (shakehand)
      Forehand Rubber BH: yinhe mercury 2 (max/medium hard)
      Backhand Rubber FH: DHS TG3 Neo (2.15/39 degs)

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 393 Times in 212 Posts
      sorry to be pedantic, but a minor correction - i think what you meant to say is that the angular momentum hasn't changed, rather the angular velocity has dipped due to the increase in inertia

14. Top | #10
      This user has no status.

Master TTD Member

Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Zhang Jike, Long 5
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 8, DHS Hurricane 3 Provinicial, Karis H
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar Evolution MX-P , Xiom Omega Pro IV, Karis M

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 4,400 Times in 2,216 Posts
      They are definitely more rigid compared to their celluloid counterparts , hence reduced distension and reduced spin , from common sense this should result into more momentum transfer into the rubber and hence more wear and tear of the sponge ...

Quote Originally Posted by TTHopeful View Post
      Ok that makes sense. I feel my rubbers wear out a lot quicker, do 40+ balls weigh more than celluloid balls baal?
      Last edited by ttmonster; 05-23-2017 at 09:04 PM.

15. The Following User Likes ttmonster's Post:

TTHopeful (05-25-2017)

16. Top | #11
      This user has no status.

Master TTD Member Country: Finland

Equipment:
      Blade STIGA Allround Evolution
      Forehand Rubber BH: Friendship 729 FX
      Backhand Rubber FH: Friendship 729 FX Blue Sponge

Reviews
      Read 2 Reviews
      Liked 1,214 Times in 771 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by fais View Post
      sorry to be pedantic, but a minor correction - i think what you meant to say is that the angular momentum hasn't changed, rather the angular velocity has dipped due to the increase in inertia
      It's okay, fais.

It rubs me the wrong way too, when people talk about "shifting the mass". What exactly are you taking away and re-attaching somewhere else?

17. Top | #12
      This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member Country: Hungary

Equipment:
      Blade LHS Offensive 3.2
      Forehand Rubber Donic Acuda S1
      Backhand Rubber Donic Acuda S1

Reviews
      Read 3 Reviews
      Liked 955 Times in 543 Posts
      this should result into more momentum transfer into the rubber
      the angular momentum hasn't changed, rather the angular velocity has dipped due to the increase in inertia
      Are you sure you don't hit harder nowadays?

18. Top | #13
      This user has no status.

Master TTD Member

Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Zhang Jike, Long 5
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 8, DHS Hurricane 3 Provinicial, Karis H
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar Evolution MX-P , Xiom Omega Pro IV, Karis M

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 4,400 Times in 2,216 Posts
      That is true, because we subconsciously want to generate the same spin as before , but even otherwise I also feel that the wear and tear is more ...
      Quote Originally Posted by ajtatosmano2 View Post
      Are you sure you don't hit harder nowadays?

19. The Following User Likes ttmonster's Post:

ajtatosmano2 (05-23-2017)

20. Top | #14
      This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member Country: Australia

Equipment:
      Blade Innerforce ALC
      Forehand Rubber Tenergy 80
      Backhand Rubber Rakza 7

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 382 Times in 234 Posts
      How does one play with 4 months old tenergy? All my tenergies are pretty unusable for me after 3.5 months as the topsheet pretty much lost its grip

21. Top | #15
      says Ba'al has spoken

Master TTD Member

Reviews
      Read 8 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by TTHopeful View Post
      Yes. Most celluloid balls were 2.66 g or so and pretty much all were less than 2.70 -- certainly any of the ones ever used in tournaments. A lot of 40+ balls are 2.73 to 2.76. The DHS 40+ balls that first came out (the ones made of celluose acetate) were 2.78!

The lightest 40+ ball is the Nittaku Premium at ~2.68 - 2.69 followed by the new D40+ at ~2.73. It may not seem like much more than celluloid but it makes a difference. Plastic balls also have slightly larger diameter. ABS balls are also harder and presumably deform less on contact. In fact, the increases weight and diameter is why the new balls are called 40+. I think it could increase the wear rate of rubber (also the surface texture and hardness of the new ball).

By the way, ITTF simply says they are enforcing rules on ball weight that were always in place but which they had been lax in enforcing since pretty much forever. They slipped in the increase in size the same time that they mandated the change in material that they attributed to the "impending world-wide shortage of celluloid" which of course, does not exist. The increase in size was because of..... what? To slow the game down more? To reduce the spin? To make the ball easier to see? To try to beat the Chinese? Who knows. They have never given a reason as to why they suddenly found religion on that particular rule that they had never had before.

I think a great deal of what people find different about playing with plastic balls can be attributed to their larger size. Of course, the cellulose acetate garbage is almost never round and bounces low and breaks all the time and is expensive and thankfully we will hopefully be rid of those.
      Last edited by Baal; 05-24-2017 at 01:42 AM.

22. The Following 3 Users Like Baal's Post:

Suga D (05-25-2017),TTHopeful (05-25-2017),ttmonster (05-24-2017)

23. Top | #16
      says Ba'al has spoken

Master TTD Member

Reviews
      Read 8 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by fais View Post
      Being pedantic is just another word for being correct. Thanks for the correction.
      Last edited by Baal; 05-24-2017 at 01:32 AM.

24. Top | #17
      says Dima... Amazing...

Equipment:
      Blade Waldner Carbon

Reviews
      Read 19 Reviews
      Yes. Most celluloid balls were 2.66 g or so and pretty much all were less than 2.70 -- certainly any of the ones ever used in tournaments. A lot of 40+ balls are 2.73 to 2.76. The DHS 40+ balls that first came out (the ones made of celluose acetate) were 2.78!

The lightest 40+ ball is the Nittaku Premium at ~2.68 - 2.69 followed by the new D40+ at ~2.73. It may not seem like much more than celluloid but it makes a difference. Plastic balls also have slightly larger diameter. ABS balls are also harder and presumably deform less on contact. In fact, the increases weight and diameter is why the new balls are called 40+. I think it could increase the wear rate of rubber (also the surface texture and hardness of the new ball).

By the way, ITTF simply says they are enforcing rules on ball weight that were always in place but which they had been lax in enforcing since pretty much forever. They slipped in the increase in size the same time that they mandated the change in material that they attributed to the "impending world-wide shortage of celluloid" which of course, does not exist. The increase in size was because of..... what? To slow the game down more? To reduce the spin? To make the ball easier to see? To try to beat the Chinese? Who knows. They have never given a reason as to why they suddenly found religion on that particular rule that they had never had before.

I think a great deal of what people find different about playing with plastic balls can be attributed to their larger size. Of course, the cellulose acetate garbage is almost never round and bounces low and breaks all the time and is expensive and thankfully we will hopefully be rid of those.
      Thanks for taking your time in explaining this to me baal. I bet there were boffins within ITTF who calculated and new exactly what they were doing when bringing in the plastic ball!

25. The Following User Likes TTHopeful's Post:

ttmonster (05-25-2017)