Racket for a beginner

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
I just checked that thread mentioned and it's full of bs :p advice to use stuff like MX-P as a beginner, wtf.

well you can't go wrong with:

Donic Allplay + 2 * Coppa

or

Butterfly Primorac Off- + 2 * Sriver

That's the most basic stuff, you can play nearly any style with it and it's not that expensive plus you can use the blades for a long time, and just change rubber to something faster! I'd suggest same rubbers and same thickness on both sides for the start and only later, after you learnt the strokes, to change that according to your preferences.
For sponges I'd go for something between 1.8 and 2.0.

Enjoy :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
I just checked that thread mentioned and it's full of bs :p advice to use stuff like MX-P as a beginner, wtf.

well you can't go wrong with:

Donic Allplay + 2 * Coppa

or

Butterfly Primorac Off- + 2 * Sriver

That's the most basic stuff, you can play nearly any style with it and it's not that expensive plus you can use the blades for a long time, and just change rubber to something faster! I'd suggest same rubbers and same thickness on both sides for the start and only later, after you learnt the strokes, to change that according to your preferences.
For sponges I'd go for something between 1.8 and 2.0.

Enjoy :)

Maybe I better looked a little further than the first few posts in that thread, you are right about someone giving not the best advice. Although that information you're referring to, has also been criticized ;)

Anyway, here's a quote from Carl that contains useful information for the topic starter:

Inexpensive Chinese blades that would be excellent for a beginner:

Yinhe/Galaxy 896 blade
Yinhe/Galaxy W6 blade

For a little more money you have loads of great blades that would be good for a beginner from all the major brands. Here are some, in no particular order:

1) Stiga Allround Evolution
2) Stiga Allround Classic
3) Stiga Offensive Classic
4) Yasaka Sweden Extra
5) Nexy Peter Pan
6) Tibhar Kim Jung Hoon
7) Tibhar Stratus Power Wood

There are loads more. Most of those are pretty reasonably priced. But I put a couple that are on the slightly more expensive side of things.

As for rubbers, inexpensive Chinese rubbers would be fine. 729 rubbers are fine. So would something like Dawei 2008XP.

Or your friend could go with classic Japanese rubbers like Butterly Sriver or Sriver FX; or Yasaka Mark V. Or you could go with an older generation ESN rubber like Xiom Vega Pro or Europe.

The rubbers on FH and BH should be the same or same but slightly softer on BH. But they shouldn't be very different for a beginner. Like you wouldn't want 729 on one side and Vega Pro on the other.

With that in mind the rubbers could be paired with any of the blades.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Maybe I better looked a little further than the first few posts in that thread, you are right about someone giving not the best advice. Although that information you're referring to, has also been criticized ;)

Anyway, here's a quote from Carl that contains useful information for the topic starter:

Hahaha. Thanks. I think I read like a broken record. Here is a post I just made in another recent thread:
If you weren't understanding what Der_Echte is saying, here goes:

All of the major TT companies make a controlled Allround blade or 2. And controlled All+/Off- blade or 3. And many Off rated blades too.

If what you are looking for is an easily controllable blade with good dwell and feel for developing your skills, there are so many.

Galaxy 896 is an example of an All+ blade from Yinhe.

Galaxy W6 is a faster Off- offering from Yinhe.

Both are extremely cost effective. And both are very good despite the low price.

Blades like these are all good examples of blades that fall in the speed range and feel of a good all wood controlled blade (All, All+ or Off- depending on the blade):

1) Appelgren Allplay
2) Yasaka Sweden
3) Yasaka Sweden Extra (which replaced the old Extra which replaced the Gatien Extra but there are slight differences).
4) Stiga Allround Classic
5) Stiga Allround Evolution
6) Stiga Offensive Classic
7) Nexy Peter Pan
8) Nexy Lissom
9) Butterfly Primorac Off-
10) Nittaku Violin
11) Nittaku Acoustic
12) OSP Virtuoso

The list goes on.

Those blades I just listed are all more expensive than the offerings listed from Yinhe. Some of them a decent amount more expensive. Some of them quite close to the price of the W6.

Any of those blades, provided you choose one in the speed class you want, would be excellent.

Often the more expensive ones are made with slightly better craftsmanship. But not always. And I am not always sure that is so important.

All of those blades are good and there are many many many that I did not list.

For the price of the Yinhe blades, you could get one of each, experiment with them, and when you want to try another, just choose from the list. You will already have two good and reasonably priced blades as backup if you do.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Part of the idea is that, for a beginner, a basic all wood blade that is not too fast and not too fancy, but that has good dwell time and helps the player feel the ball, is really what will help you develop.

Blades that are in the All, All+ and Off- speed ranges are usually ideal.

Basic rubbers that help you do everything so you can develop all your strokes are also a good idea.

Categories of rubbers that are useful would be:

1) Classic Rubbers like Sriver and Mark V.
2) Basic Chinese rubbers like 729.
3) Simple hybrid Chinese rubbers like 2008XP which have good control but some catapult like a Euro/Japanese rubber.
4) An older generation Tensioned rubber like Vega Pro or a controlled tensioned rubber like Nexy Karis-M (that isn't older generation but still has a ton of control).

Which of those kinds of rubbers you choose depends on philosophy.

For the blade, I would recommend an All or All+ speed blade for a beginner. Any of the All or All+ blades on the list that I quoted would work just fine.

And the inexpensive blades from Yinhe like the Galaxy 896 blade would be just fine and quite reasonably priced at $16.00.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What is the simple answer, now that you have too much information?

Get one of these blades:

Bargain: Yinhe Galaxy 896

Slightly higher end:

1) Appelgren Allplay
2) Stiga Allround Classic
3) Stiga Allround Evolution
4) Yasaka Sweden Classic
5) Yasaka Sweden Extra

Pair one of those blades with one of these rubbers.

1) Sriver or Mark V
2) Dawei 2008XP, or Nexy Elpis
3) Vega Europe or Nexy Karis-M

Any of those rubbers will work with any of those blades. But get the same rubber for FH and BH.

When you are more advanced you can try specific rubbers for FH and BH. But at the beginner level you want to use the same rubber for both sides.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Any cheap all wood Chinese blade (729 friendship, Gambler, etc) with either Yasaka mark V rubbers on both sides or others.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Blades are sufficiently recommended, basically, almost any all wood 5 ply, though 7ply can also be considered.
In terms of rubber, from lower price end Friendship LKT Pro XT, is one of the best (12.68 euro from tt11)
If you want an expensive rubber there are several you can use as a beginner that uses newer technology.
From my experience, Acuda Blue P2 (or P3 if you want softest) is very "user friendly" and forgiving rubber that provides loads of spin. Butterfly Rozena I have not tried, but it's according to description made for "high margin for error improves players and helps them become more consistent." which is what beginners need.

Sriver and Mark v are the older popular rubbers from the speed glue era.
Chinese rubbers can help you improve body motion and feel, but, feels harder and the stroke will be different, can provide a good stroke foundation, but not favorable for blocking.

From my own point of view, I believe starting with a low-end Pro Xt, then moving up to "lower" high end (like acuda blue p2/p3 or Butterfly Rozena) and then when "mastered" those further to the hardest sponges. Is the way to go.
I had to figure this stuff out the hard way.
But I really should have just gone with some pro xt stuff and improved my touch first. Good luck on your choice!

This user has no status.
You guys are all recommending stuff to fast for beginners. Beginners should not be using carbon blades and high-tension rubber. They should use gambler, DHS or friendship rubber which are good for developing basic strokes. I started with the $20 friendship racket that i mentioned earlier and that is what everyone at my club starts with.