Pistej uses beginner serves against Harimoto?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
For the first serve: 1) Toss is not high enough --> point should not have counted. 2) Harimoto was clearly not yet ready to receive a serve --> point should not have counted.

Anyway Pistej is a bad example and a sore loser.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Bob, I saw Dan's interview and he admitted he was trying to mentally upset Harimoto and then the referee caught him ...
While some would say all is fair in war , I would say he already mentally lost the match when he decided to use skills other than table tennis skills to try and defeat harimoto, also an adult trying that BS on a kid on an international stage does not do good to anybody , I am sure instead of people remembering Pistej for the wonderful tournament he had will remember for his antics when faced with a kid , it also did not really make for good viewing ... I will not be proud of that kind of behavior , even if he was my best friend let alone my country mate ... the point is what Harimoto was doing was within the rules of the game , and he was consistent , what Pistej was doing was not and he started taking offense when he knew he did not have chance in regular play ...

Pistej did shake hand with all of them ... you are just obsessed that`s all . See Dan interview ... He just try all to win.

says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
Yes I agree with you. But I think Harimoto was teach from beginning to behave like that. So it is part of tactic from his coach, so he can get as much advantage as possible.
Pistej try also some tactic... Ugly or not he try and lose. He admitted and I think he is not proud . Xx did also some weird stuff to attack also mentally. But it is normal from coach of Harimoto to lead him this way?

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I definitely do not condone Harimoto's celebration , the thing is there is this theory from some coaches that for people who are generally shy they need to "cho" more. If you compare Harimoto definitely cho's more , but Ariel Hsing used to pretty much cho the same way , after winning each point and also before serving or receiving serve, , even thouhg the intensity was less . Even Szocs was the same way and with comparable intensity to Harimoto. What I definitely don't like is Harimoto sometimes cho's even when its an unforced error from the opponent , he definitely needs to learn when to cho and when not to cho. Yes, Xu xin also tried to play mind games , and again it started after he lost one game , its deplorable but xu xin being more of a pro made sure that he is a little more subtle about it than Pistej even though I think he also got an yellow card ... its surely a learning curve for harimoto and hopefully he will learn to beat people without making noise ... but as long as ITTF does not a make a rule about cho ing and grunting , you have to live with it ... dima also grunts and they have this theory that grunting helps generate more power and better breathing thereby helping muscle recovery as well ... if you see even in tennis they had the same problem and players only complained when the grunting was not consistent , as long as it is consistent they were okay with it .... so yes definitely Harimoto needs to stop choing at opponents face ( even though CNT players are guilty of it too , see Ding Ning vs Miu Hirano or even Ma Long vs FZD ) , yes Harimoto needs to stop choing when its an unforced error from the opponent , but he is only pushing the envelope not the rules , and there are other players , pros and adults who acted deplorably when facing the kid and who them selves do the same thing when faced with adversity , so I consider the latter as guilty and not the former and so did the referees ...
Yes I agree with you. But I think Harimoto was teach from beginning to behave like that. So it is part of tactic from his coach, so he can get as much advantage as possible.
Pistej try also some tactic... Ugly or not he try and lose. He admitted and I think he is not proud . Xx did also some weird stuff to attack also mentally. But it is normal from coach of Harimoto to lead him this way?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
I remember there was a match between Khoa Nguyen and a young kid around 3 years ago.The kid cho'ed kind of excessive similar to Harimoto. The referee gave him a warning. I think she was in favor of Khoa as many local/national referees like Khoa's character. Then she gave a point to Khoa when the kid screamed after winning a point. That was it. The kid lost momentum and lost to Khoa. I think ITTF will need to have some rules against cho'ing; for example, no more than ONE cho, so that players do not get upset by the other's cho. I don't cho, I yes to myself and loud enough so my opponent knows I am very serious in the game and want to beat him/her.

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
It does not matter whether one says "yes" or "cho" or "tsa" , the point is that its verbal intimidation ... there are a lot of people who even talk to their opponents or start screaming "what luck!" etc. , IMO it does not matter , if there has to be a rule , it should simply be that you cannot talk / shout/ scream once the game play is on , or ITTF should clarify on the same lines it is allowing coaching , saying that as long as you are not directly addressing your opponent you can say whatever you want .. but then that would again make the line blurry and there will always be people who will try to push that line ...
I remember there was a match between Khoa Nguyen and a young kid around 3 years ago.The kid cho'ed kind of excessive similar to Harimoto. The referee gave him a warning. I think she was in favor of Khoa as many local/national referees like Khoa's character. Then she gave a point to Khoa when the kid screamed after winning a point. That was it. The kid lost momentum and lost to Khoa. I think ITTF will need to have some rules against cho'ing; for example, no more than ONE cho, so that players do not get upset by the other's cho. I don't cho, I yes to myself and loud enough so my opponent knows I am very serious in the game and want to beat him/her.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
It does not matter whether one says "yes" or "cho" or "tsa" , the point is that its verbal intimidation ... there are a lot of people who even talk to their opponents or start screaming "what luck!" etc. , IMO it does not matter , if there has to be a rule , it should simply be that you cannot talk / shout/ scream once the game play is on , or ITTF should clarify on the same lines it is allowing coaching , saying that as long as you are not directly addressing your opponent you can say whatever you want .. but then that would again make the line blurry and there will always be people who will try to push that line ...
There is no perfect solution but ITTF needs to draw the line somewhere. It can't prevent people from cho'ing, yes'ing, or ... blah'ing or even loud grunting like Dima's during the match. Grunting is bothering to me more than cho'ing. As long as ITTF doesn't have a rule yet on blah'ing we have to accept of whatever it is now. So as long as Harimoto is behaving within the rules he can do whatever he can for now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Pistej did shake hand with all of them ... you are just obsessed that`s all . See Dan interview ... He just try all to win.

That's not true, you can check the video if you like. He didn't shake hands with the referees.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
In my club there was a Russian guy who got beaten up badly by a 10 yo girl. He did the same stupid craps and still lost to her. Then he continued asking her to play until she got exhausted. What an Ahole!
If the guy would be of any other nationality, let's say jew, would you still mention it ? It seems that you don't actually care about the fair play but simply provoking national intolerance with your fairy tales.

Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
That's not true, you can check the video if you like. He didn't shake hands with the referees.
Yes you right He did not shake hand with referee .
My bad sorry

says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
come on everybody, the sound the kid made did not disturb anybody, he did it after the point or before, that is a kind of encouragement to himself, you see that in other sport. You can wait until he finishes his little sound before you serve. all these complaining are excuses for losing. Some players run around his court before next point.
We are playing table tennis, enjoy the game, enjoy playing with good player, concentrate on the game not on finding excuses.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 4 reviews
I have the impression Harimoto makes less noise as a year ago, so that's good and that first fast serve straight out of his hand by Pistej should have resulted in a point for Harimoto in my opinion. He does have the right to start serving differently, even if it's simple or whatever you want to call it. Straight out of his hand, well, that's ok also, but it should result it in a point for Harimoto.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 4 reviews
Hang-on-there-I-need-to-get-more-popcorn-meme-43756.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
come on everybody, the sound the kid made did not disturb anybody, he did it after the point or before, that is a kind of encouragement to himself, you see that in other sport. You can wait until he finishes his little sound before you serve. all these complaining are excuses for losing. Some players run around his court before next point.
We are playing table tennis, enjoy the game, enjoy playing with good player, concentrate on the game not on finding excuses.

Most high level players who practice a visualization serve routine will wonder what you are talking about. THe routine is not just when you serve, but is the whole thing you go into before you serve, grunting during that routine is a way of disturbing the opponent. It may or may not work, but the point is that it is not just about the serve! If he grunted and then entered his receive stance, it is one thing, as then you can enter your serve routine without any issue but he grunts in his receive stance while you are in your serve routine.

Sep 2016
I think people should watch the video on ITTV again, both players shout after the winning point, and Harimoto did not grunt during the serves, it was well before and most of the time he did not make noisy. The noisy from other tables were much louder, so pls don,t give excuses . Watch and listen carefully before speaking up

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think people should watch the video on ITTV again, both players shout after the winning point, and Harimoto did not grunt during the serves, it was well before and most of the time he did not make noisy. The noisy from other tables were much louder, so pls don,t give excuses . Watch and listen carefully before speaking up

But not before entering his ready stance. You are still missing the point. And noise from other places is not the same as noise from the opponent. You are not speaking like a table tennis player. Our brains change to track certain things acutely especially cues from the opponent and the sound of the ball.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What NextLevel is saying is valuable.

What I would actually do, if I was the server and Harimoto made a sound as I was in my serve ready stance, is stand up and walk away from the table. And I would do it every time he made a sound as I was getting ready to serve. And every time I did it, I would hold my hand up and say something to the umpire about the sound. Every time.

Right now I am thinking of Joe Morgan from the Cincinnati Reds of the 1970s when they were called The Big Red Machine.

When he was in the batter's box and a pitcher took what Morgan felt was too long after getting into a set stance for pitching--as though they were trying to ice him--he would wait till they were just starting their motion and call time and step out of the batter's box. He would do it over and over until the pitcher stopped trying to mess with the rhythm.

If you are about to serve and the opponent makes sound, why not get out of your stance, make it clear that the opponent making sound disturbed your serve routine, and only start again when you are ready? If the opponent makes the sound again, you come out of the stance for serve again. Why serve on your opponent's terms?

It isn't a dirty trick. And it makes it so you are highlighting the offending action so it is clear what the sound is doing to your setup.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Do you want some lotion for that asspain you're experiencing?

One useful mental rule for writing posts on the internet is to ask yourself - am I willing to tell *that* to someone's face. You probably should've applied it in that case.

P.S. I don't 100% agree that your 1948 posts are 'crap' - but I don't think you are in a good position to criticize other members quality of posts, what with glass houses, stones etc.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This is something I actually do on a regular basis. There are certain guys who try to quick serve you. And some of the time they try and time it to someone walking across the playing field and into your vision. It is not something a player at the international level would need to deal with. But at a club level, there are people who will try to serve when you are not set.

So, when I see someone tossing to serve and I am not set, I raise my hand the way you would for a let and I step way back from the table at a diagonal and I do it fast so that, as the guy looks up to see his serve, he sees an empty table and me 6-10 feet back from the table.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Last edited: