Need help for classic defender setup

This user has no status.
Hello there!!!

I've been playing as a chopper for a while now and im enjoying it very much. One thing im becoming aware is that i tend much more to try a FH Chop than a counterattack/lob/fish, and for me it is really satisfying.

With my current setup, Vioncello +G-1 Max + Curl P1 1.7mm i can do everything ok-ish but my weakness still being the FH chop i enjoy the most.
I dont know that many choppers here and still, most of em just go for Joo Sae Hyuk with Tenergy 1.9mm, so now i have no clue if my setup is too fast or the blade is too flexy...i've been recording myself to see if the technic is the problem but in a lot of balls i was textbook on it but still missing :(

For the little i readed, im starting to think that a classic defender blade should be super soft and stiff, like those Willow blades from Bty and TSP.
Is that it? I found a pretty cheap combo at TT11 : Nittaku Resist II + Triple Spin Chop 1.2mm + Curl P1 0.6mm (or 1.7)

Any input will be very welcome, thank you guys in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
Willow blades like Butterfly Defence Alpha and Butterfly Matsushita Pro (not the Victas one!) are actually more flexible than than Donic Defplay Senso, more adept at creating spin and more affected by incoming spin.

And somehow, in subsequent Defence Series, Butterfly make it stiffer and stiffer, for whatever reason, for making easier blocking.[emoji6]

But yea, apparently, there are 2 or 3 groups of chopper blade

Pure Chopper blade, slow soft flexy. Defence Alpha belong here. If you chop parallel to incoming ball, aka Ding Song chop, consider these blades.

Dr. Neubauer Barricade DEF
KTL (LKT) Toxic 3
Stiga Tube Defensive WRB
Donic Defplay Classic Senso
Butterfly Matsushita Pro

Chop and Block blade, slow, with medium hardness and flex. Defplay belong here. Should fit those who chop perpendicular and late aka like Shiono well.

Giant Dragon BALSAdef
KTL (LKT) Instinct
JOOLA Rosskopf Allround
Butterfly Andrzej Grubba
Tibhar Match

And Blocker blade, slow, hard, stiff. Should be soo impervious to incoming spin. JSH and Anna (Chtchetinine blade) belong here. I wont say it a chopper blade, but yes, it usable for chopping.

Hallmark Aurora
Donic Alligator Combi
Butterfly Joo Se Hyuk
KTL (LKT) Toxic 5
DHS Dipper CP Monocarbon

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Paccheco and JMC
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Triple Spin Chop 1.2mm + Curl P1 0.6mm (or 1.7)

Actually, rubber-wise that is close to my recommendation - just make sure you buy P1 R ;)

I don´t play defence myself, just often against it. My practice partners play 4th and 5th German league respectively. One of them is very much influenced by Chetinin and plays with a very thin FH rubber (mostly Globe 999 1.2 mm, before that Triple Spin Chop) and Curl P 1 R 0,6 on a custom blade (like Chetinin´s ...). The other brings several different blades to each training session (and even changes frequently during season, often coming back to the Joo blade) but meanwhile uses thin forehand rubber (some Friendship, before that Hurricane 2.0 mm) and also Curl P 1 R 0,6.

Both rely mostly on their defensive strokes, so a "bouncy" (anything tensored) rubber is no good for them. For any casual topspin to disrupt the opponent, the thin but immensely grippy chinese rubbers are sufficient. The modern style with mostly attack from the forehand side asks for a rubber with more offensive qualities but still massive grip and control, hence tenergy 1.7/1.9

Personally, I think 1,2 mm is a little extreme, especially with hard Chinese rubbers. With the TSP, you might adapt more easily, but if it´s available in 1,5 maybe you could start from there, coming from a tensor rubber.

Hope this helps a little.

This user has no status.
For your VH I can recommend you the Victas VS>401. Really hard sponge with a medium hard topsheet. I have one Classic Chopper in my Club that plays this rubber on his VH. You can get heavy spin in the mid-distance against Topspin but also attack pretty good!
Agree!!! [emoji6]

Off topic

And imagine how terrified your opponent shall be, looking at your vore-hand (vh). [emoji14] [emoji48]

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

Reactions: PolishTT17