In which countries is table tennis booming in popularity?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
In the recent WTTC it is great to see Germany, Japan and Korea have produced a few significant challenges to the Chinese domination. These countries are traditionally strong in table tennis.

I wonder is there other countries where table tennis is actually becoming more popular?

I know Brazil has a large table tennis player base. Apart from that I don't know any other country.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
its a good topic . In my country iran people nowaday are involving in table tennis more than ever . this year in wttc it was the first time
that iran had 2 male player in last 64 . Nima and noshad alamian . even our national tv broadcast league games every year both men and women part . people eventually are understaning that tt is a difficult sport which may be easy to play but hard to be master

Last edited:
In the recent WTTC it is great to see Germany, Japan and Korea have produced a few significant challenges to the Chinese domination. These countries are traditionally strong in table tennis.

I wonder is there other countries where table tennis is actually becoming more popular?

I know Brazil has a large table tennis player base. Apart from that I don't know any other country.
From where I came from its hard to find a place to play and friends to play and practice with... to the point that I am considering of getting a ping pong robot... currently considering trainer bot...

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
TT has definitely been getting more popular in Japan in the last few years. Kudos to Ai FUKUHARA for that
I guess celebrity effect is strong. But Japan has always been strong in tt. Is tt more
TT has definitely been getting more popular in Japan in the last few years. Kudos to Ai FUKUHARA for that
Japan has always been strong in tt. Celebrity effect works well. Does Japan run tt academy like in China?

Sent from my WAS-LX2 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
its a good topic . In my country iran people nowaday are involving in table tennis more than ever . this year in wttc it was the first time
that iran had 2 male player in last 64 . Nima and noshad alamian . even our national tv broadcast league games every year both men and women part . people eventually are understaning that tt is a difficult sport which may be easy to play but hard to be master
Being an influential country in the ME it is a good news tt is becoming popular in Iran. Is there any regional tt championship? In Asia they run it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
From where I came from its hard to find a place to play and friends to play and practice with... to the point that I am considering of getting a ping pong robot... currently considering trainer bot...
From the Philippines? It's surprising because Ian Lariba as a tt player was the flag bearer for Rio Olympic. So I think he must represent a popular sport in the Philippines.

This user has no status.
I guess celebrity effect is strong. But Japan has always been strong in tt. Is tt more

Japan has always been strong in tt. Celebrity effect works well. Does Japan run tt academy like in China?

The JOC Elite Academy is where many young and promising athletes from various disciplines train. When they are among the "chosen", basically they get education, coaches, facilities, food, accommodation etc... for free...

Of course, if the results are not satisfying they receive the kick in the butt...

The academy is rather new, and they have a web page that you can check.

Harimoto and Hirano are both members of the academy, but there are some other players as well, i would have to dig to find the list

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
Being an influential country in the ME it is a good news tt is becoming popular in Iran. Is there any regional tt championship? In Asia they run it.

Yes . we've got such a competitions here . among west asia iran is the best and always is first in west asian competitions but in asia over all no country is better than china for sure ;)

From the Philippines? It's surprising because Ian Lariba as a tt player was the flag bearer for Rio Olympic. So I think he must represent a popular sport in the Philippines.

well... I'm more on from a province where people usually play basketball...
there is no table tennis store... the nearest place where I can play is around 30km+
so difficult to find friends to play with too

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
The JOC Elite Academy is where many young and promising athletes from various disciplines train. When they are among the "chosen", basically they get education, coaches, facilities, food, accommodation etc... for free...

Of course, if the results are not satisfying they receive the kick in the butt...

The academy is rather new, and they have a web page that you can check.

Harimoto and Hirano are both members of the academy, but there are some other players as well, i would have to dig to find the list

That's what would be necessary everywhere. Talented players shouldn't fight for training (good training is not a small amount of money).