Who do you think will win the Japan Open 2017?

• Ma Long

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 30 38.5%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wong Chun Ting

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Fang Bo

• Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Koki Niwa

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Other (Post Below)

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Just insane how many young japanese players participate in world class events. Just amazing. Even china doesn't have a 13-16 year old girl or boy that can play on that high level. Good work and a lot of respect goes to Japan!

I think it's because chinese choose to don't join young in international competitions before 15 or 16 years old.

Fan Zhendong began his first competition at 15 years old, and beat a lots of very good players. I think he was a beast before 15, but it's a choice of chinese trainer to keep him in China.
They don't have lots of exprerience when they began against european player and different games, and they have to win all matchs to be in top chinese players. To much pressure on young chinese, no right to make mistake.

Harimoto, in china won't have play before 15 years old, would be less experienced than now.

I think it's a very good choice for him to be in Japan instead of China, because he played lots of international matchs since 10 or 11 years old. He gained lots of experience and have better possibilities to be in national team.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think it's because chinese choose to don't join young in international competitions before 15 or 16 years old.

Fan Zhendong began his first competition at 15 years old, and beat a lots of very good players. I think he was a beast before 15, but it's a choice of chinese trainer to keep him in China.
They don't have lots of exprerience when they began against european player and different games, and they have to win all matchs to be in top chinese players. To much pressure on young chinese, no right to make mistake.

Harimoto, in china won't have play before 15 years old, would be less experienced than now.

I think it's a very good choice for him to be in Japan instead of China, because he played lots of international matchs since 10 or 11 years old. He gained lots of experience and have better possibilities to be in national team.

Good that you were patient enough to provide the details. Most of the U15 buys in China get their ratings/rankings when they play the World or Asian Cadet championship.

As for whether their method or the Japanese method produces the better players, who knows? China is usually so far ahead in dedication that no one really cares. But maybe if Harimoto tightens things up, there might be some debate. But there was a kid that beat Harimoto in the Asian Cadets in the singles ( the same boy lost to Harimoto in the Teams). Just to put into perspective that there was someone who could compete at Harimoto's level in China as a cadet (of course, whether he is truly at Harimoto's level is not my point).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Do you have any background on HAMAMOTO Yui. She plays just like Hirano. Wow !!

she's a bit older, 20 I think. She is already a member of the JNT, i think she played at the World Team TT last year.
Among the young Japanese, she is one of the more athletic, taller than the others. But she is not as consistent the the very best ones. Her strokes have the potential of being more powerful but she seems to lack that extra technique

She lost in the final of the pre-WTTC qualifying tournament among JNT members to Miyu KATO.

She has been around for a while. I think she has many ITTF U21 titles and perhaps Junior as well

Reactions: drunix80
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
well I had the match only on the background. The score shown by ITTF was wrong at the time. CHEN Ke is winning. She's got the 3 sets to 0 lead. The 3rd set was a 14-12 deuce where the Japanese had some chance to win this set.

4th set is deuce 11-11 now, HAMAMOTO was leading 8-3

ITTF's scoring display has been erroneous since yday. Their score/match tracking system is equally horrible.

This user has no status.
and its all over 14-12 again in the 4th set, straight set victory for CHEN Ke. Its going to be tough for Japanese players against the Chinese..

You can see the update on ITTF website for the update result. Chen ke win 4 - 0. The live scoring is wrong from beginning.