ITTF seems to abuse power

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
ITTF is the official channel of almost every table tennis matches. Its channel on YouTube has the right to use the ContentID system, that means it can claim the copyright on their videos. It's nothing wrong if the videos are original. But you can't use the ContentID system to claim the
videos which have existed elsewhere, or compilation videos, as cited on YouTube Guideline.

However, ITTF also reuploads some fan-made videos and some compilations and claims the copyright on it. For example, for the case of Ma Long Fan Family, ITTF reuploaded a compilation from a fan, and also claimed the copyright on the original video. It's not very fair. Proof:

f3.JPG

For my case, I know that ITTF uploaded some videos filmed by the Chinese fan, and claimed the copyright on it. I have the permission from the original authors, so again I need to contact ITTF to retract the claim. Proof:

f4.JPG

This WTTC Dusseldorf, the problem is worst. To deal with the match reupload problem, ITTF claimed the copyright on all of the videos which contain the word "WTTC 2017". But it's an abuse because not all the videos are from ITTF. It shows the lack of personnel, professionalism of ITTF to detect the reuploaded matches.

For example, in my case, I do my own video to recap the bracket. In the video, I don't use any videos from ITTF, I also make my own bracket. But ITTF claimed copyright on it because it contains the "WTTC 2017" in the title. For example, this one:

Another case, such as Dan's Vlog of the WTTC. Dan filmed, made the interview and recovered the event by himself, no match reupload from ITTF, but under the same problem. Like this one:

So, here is the proof that ITTF has claimed the Copyright:

f1.jpg
f2.jpg
To someone who doesn't know about ContentID on YouTube, there are 2 types of detection: from ContentID itself (automatically detection), and from a parameter or human (manual detection). My video are detected "manually" that means it's content doesn't exist in the ContentID database. It means that it's new to the database. I don't agree with this abuse from ITTF, so I made a dispute. I will update the result on this topic. But I want to share with you my experiences about the unprofessionalism of ITTF.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Let me guess, ITTF also receives monetization funds from those videos.

Yes, it is.
But claim the Copyright on the fan-made content is stupid. That's YouTuber that promotes the sport the most. For my case, and the case of Dan, we don't reupload table tennis matches, we do our own coverage of the event, so there is no content from ITTF. I understand that it's just a solution from ITTF to deal with the explosion of match-reupload from hundreds of YouTube channel. They applied the rule that "Let's claim the copyright on every video that contains the "WTTC 2017" in the title". But this is very bad idea.

First, it will make the false claim, which is against YouTube Guidelines. Second, there are other events also called "WTTC 2017" (The WTTC 2017 Global Summit was hosted by the Tourism Authority Thailand), doing this is so risky for ITTF. I have made a test, I just upload a random content to YouTube, and named it "WTTC 2017", 5 minutes later, it is claimed by ITTF. Lol!

Reactions: BeGo
says what [IMG]
Of course I do need to mention that I am no economical expert: sometimes company level decisions are hard to understand for the consumer and might seem wrong, but you can't always do the ideal solution. I'm not a YouTube content creator either, so I don't really know how it is.

I do think ITTF is trying to keep their company in business and in turn keep the sport alive, but how much of that money that should go towards developing TT by buying more cameras, making more clubs etc. is going into someone's secret bank account?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
are you guys surprised? what did you expect really, ITTF is the official pimp of the sport.

But let's not forget that many youtubers steal videos from other sources so you cant have both ways so don't complain.

Youtubers who really had original content and didnt steal anything like you did and some other channels, ended up getting paid by ITTF.

Instead of being a copycat, stop being a copycat and create your own thing like, mrtheportal, ttlondon2012,ttjanus,ttcountenance etc etc etc

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
What I mean is , its ridiculous on both ways cause the way ITTF copies other sports (interviews after matches from tennis, athletes walking with little kids like soccer ) and it is done in such an amateurish way you get extremely bored but I definitely prefer it from nothing at all

And then you have "table tennis coaches" and experts/analysts and highlight uploaders just because the internet gives you safety behind anonymity.

There are at least 5-10 youtube uploaders who constantly steal and upload older videos, you are one of them so please do us a favor and dont act like you are the one who is mistreated because it is ridiculous.

I enjoy your content alot and it is improving but who has the power makes the rules of the game, complaining will get you nowhere. It is just a forum, no one gives an actual **** if ITTF is right or wrong and how many people steal each other

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I think ITTF has to do so 'cause they treat the term “WTTC™“ like a trademark™.
Just like “Coca Cola®“, “Nike“ or “Mercedes-Benz“.

Now what'cha think is gonna happen if some small company in the andes comes up with a product also named “Coca-Cola™“ e.g. without having the license of the company?
Right, it most likely would be stopped from doing that.

I guess if you rename your vids by using variations of the title like tabletennis world championships 2K17 or something similar and reupload your content it could help your vids to survive a little longer.

Just my 2 ¢

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
The WTTC trademark claiming is absurd. Don't just blame little folks for making their own videos using the term. You Tube or Facebook all play it safe, have a hard time to know who is right, and to avoid getting hassle of lawsuits they just shut down the little guys if some (big) guys are complaining. However, ITTF must show evidences that the term is unique and they have the copyright which is not easy. But in the meantime it is enough to prevent these little folks from uploading their own videos with the WTTC title.
Just do a Google search on WTTC you can see 33 meanings and the top 2 are World Travel and Tourism Council and Welcome To The Club while World Table Tennis Championships is number 3.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think ITTF has to do so 'cause they treat the term “WTTC[emoji769]“ like a trademark[emoji769].
Just like “Coca Cola[emoji768]“, “Nike“ or “Mercedes-Benz“.

Now what'cha think is gonna happen if some small company in the andes comes up with a product also named “Coca-Cola[emoji769]“ e.g. without having the license of the company?
Right, it most likely would be stopped from doing that.

I guess if you rename your vids by using variations of the title like tabletennis world championships 2K17 or something similar and reupload your content it could help your vids to survive a little longer.

Just my 2 ¢

This is a great post. Suga D has made a direct hit. It was exactly what I was thinking and I was even going to use the brand name CocaCola.

Change the name. Call your video something else. Use original content.

--May/June 2x17 Championships.
--Big TT Tournament in May/June 2x17
--The Real Championships of Ping Pong 2x17

I don't know, perhaps you can figure something out that is better.

I know, I know....these titles won't draw as many searches and won't result in as many views. But that is actually why ITTF own the name WTTC.

Key info:

1) don't use the term “WTTC[emoji769]“

2) use original content

If you do that, everything will be fine.

All that being said, ITTF is a bit shortsighted in how it sometimes restricts things that promote the sport.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says what [IMG]
The question is, it is your content? I haven't watched your videos but do you have the rights to upload them to youtube? The YouTube-Guidelines aren't working here, because videocompilations with content of an ITTF tournament aren't your content in any way.
Yeah, we gotta take this into account. I'm not sure what the content guidelines say about private videos either.

I've found it a bit weird how people can record matches from a TV-feed or stream, then sell them. How does that even work if it's not even their footage?

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
By the way, one more piece of info:

I am not 100% sure how this works. But I think this is how it works.

If someone creates content and then you get their permission to use the content and then someone else BUYS the content from the original source. Then the ORIGINAL source needs permission to use the content. They could word the legal documents of the sale in a way that enables them to continue to use the content they created.

But, if they sold it, they no longer have the power to give others the right to use it. Which then means, yes, I think you would have to get permission for use from the owner of the content.

So, if Nike bought the rights to WTTC 2017 from ITTF, then ITTF would have to get permission from Nike to use the term and contents of WTTC 2017.

Again, I could be wrong, but, from a legal standpoint, I believe that is how it works.

And the answer to it is still:

1) use 100% original content
2) don't use the term WTTC 2017

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: BeGo and Suga D