Who do you think will win the China Open 2017?

• Ma Long

Votes: 51 57.3%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Wong Chun Ting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Koki Niwa

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
View attachment 13610

Current status at the China Open Men's Singles Semifinals: I would call it: almost empty stadium.

Do you think it is something caused by the Chinese players protest or... table tennis is just like this? Disappointing.

If you were at Doha grand final last year, you would make a different conclusion about the "vacant seats". I watched it on TV and saw venue photos on forum. In Doha, all stadium was empty. You photo shows much more audiences than Doha.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomtt
This user has no status.
4-1 to Boll!
Timo needed a lot of his intelligence and experience for this one.
I rest my case: Harimoto playing furious in the beginning, Timo with the years on his back bringing the comebacks. He recovered even earlier in the game than I expected!
Needless to say, Harimoto was amazing. Just a notch of quality missing in the long run. :)

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Timo Boll advances to the FINAL of the China Open after a 4-1 victory over wonder kid Harimoto!

timobolldefeatsharimoto2017.jpg

Reactions: Garrison
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Harimoto pissed in his pants... He's just a kid after all...

If he could have avoided wetting himself, he would have won this match. I'm pretty sure he'll win next time

These are harsh words. I think he cried after the loss, for which I would not blame him. And no doubt he will find consolation in realising that his time will come, for which his birthday three days from now might well serve.

Strong game, played fairly and in the end accepting the loss gracefully. Good sportsmanship, and all the best to him.

Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
These are harsh words. I think he cried after the loss, for which I would not blame him. And no doubt he will find consolation in realising that his time will come, for which his birthday three days from now might well serve.

Strong game, played fairly and in the end accepting the loss gracefully. Good sportsmanship, and all the best to him.

I was rooting for him, he was 5-1 ahead in the 3rd, and 8-1 in the 4th. Especially in the 4th he started getting passive, and at 10-9 you could see him attempting some strange block (like a beginner would) instead of his powerful drive. symptomatic of a mental problem. He had the mental problem, because this match , he could really have won it, and he knew it.

But thats totally understandable. On the other side of the table, Timo played a solid match, his touch receives surprised Harimoto till the end, and his anti-chiquita serves got better throughout the match.

Harimoto is improving at a very fast pace, and I bet we will see even stronger performances of him in the next months

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Losing from 5-1 and 8-1 up in consecutive sets is not easy. I think Timo has a level and quality of serve return that Harimoto has not see yet. You could see that Harimoto lost his confidence and regressed to his old flat forehand in some critical moments when Boll pinned him in the middle.

It was a good match and precisely the kind of experience the kid needs to have early. Boll was tchoing louder in order to compete better as well, which I don't understand why more players do not get it that this is what they have to do. If Vladi had thrown in a few more tchos in his match, he would have won.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Timo patiently not to attack and play short ball to make Harimoto cannot attack freely
Timo show his class here, not follow the game of Harimoto, but make Harimoto difficult to attack

Harimoto still 13 years old, there's still many things that can be improve, especially his footwork and mental toughness

Happy to know all of them went to final , timo in singles and harimoto in
Hope they win the China open