Who do you think will win the China Open 2017?

• Ma Long

Votes: 51 57.3%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Wong Chun Ting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Koki Niwa

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Glad that you don't think all the Chinese fans are insane...
BTW, could you share with us the estimate number or ratio of ZJK fangirls and non-ZJK fangirls? 100 vs 1? 100 vs 50? 100 vs 100? You know, many people are saying nowadays ZJK is the reason for Chinese people to watch TT and non-ZJK fangirls don't exist.

* (It is important to note that not all of the Chinese fans who attended the WTTC were insane ZJK fangirls. The ones who were could be easily identified by the ZJK fangirl paraphenalia they sport. Little plastic ZJK things they wear in their hair, ZJK t-shirts, little ZJK handbags that they use to store all their ZJK paraphernalia, etc. etc. Also their relative indifference to matches played by Ma Long and FZD, for example -- and certainly any matches where no Chinese were playing.)

Reactions: Suga D
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Glad that you don't think all the Chinese fans are insane...
BTW, could you share with us the estimate number or ratio of ZJK fangirls and non-ZJK fangirls? 100 vs 1? 100 vs 50? 100 vs 100? You know, many people are saying nowadays ZJK is the reason for Chinese people to watch TT and non-ZJK fangirls don't exist.

Hard to say. In Dusseldorf on the days I was there I saw a large Chinese cheering section, only a fraction of whom were hardcore ZJK fangirls with the little head pieces and ZJK handbags and stuff and who seemed to have no interest in anyone else or the sport in general. 10 to 20% maybe? I really have no idea. But they ran in packs of 10-30 (which I also noticed often seated away from the main Chinese cheering section even on the day where you could sit anywhere and move around). And, their pack behavior magnified their impact on people trying to watch other matches. This will be my last comment on this but it was pretty unbelievable. Now of course I have no idea how many people in the Chinese cheering section traveled all the way from China.

By the way in case you think I am anti-Chinese, know that I am married to a Chinese person and travel their at least every couple of years. Also ZJK has long been one of my favorite players. Still, if ZJK is the only reason people watch TT in China, our sport is in trouble! (And also, I would go to Chengdu if money was no object to see the China Open, it being in my favorite part of China).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
I enjoyed being on site watching the game. I find it less intriguing to watch table tennis on TV

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Round of 32 Results

Ma Long vs Kenta Tazoe (4-1)
Lam Siu Hang vs Yuya Oshima (2-4)
Kristian Karlsson vs Asuka Sakai (4-0)
Tonin Ryuzaki vs Dimitrij Ovtcharov (2-4)

Wong Chun Ting vs Lim Jonghoon (4-2)
Cedric Nuytinck vs Kenta Matsudaira (0-4)
Stefan Fegerl vs Jin Ueda (1-4)
Masaki Yoshida vs Zhang Jike (4-0)

Xu Xin vs Emmanuel Lebesson (4-0)
Tomokazu Harimoto vs Vladimir Samsonov (4-3)
Yuto Muramatsu vs Antoine Hachard (4-1)
Ho Kwan Kit vs Koki Niwa (1-4)

Timo Boll vs Jiang Tianyi (4-3)
Omar Assar vs Tiago Apolonia (4-3)
Simon Gauzy vs Donghyun Kim (2-4)
Asuka Machi vs Fan Zhendong (2-4)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Based on my experience at WTTC something I noticed. German fans are knowledgeable and care about table tennis for its own sake and are not just cheering for one player. Many were completely amazed by FZD (for example). Many wore the shirts of their own TT clubs (men and women). They also have their own way of cheering, rhythmic clapping that gradually picks up in pace and volume. They didn't just cheer for German players, either. They loved Samsonov. They tended to support Japanese players too. A bunch around me joined me out of pure friendliness in cheering for American women in a doubles match and actually got quite engaged in it (the Americans won). By contrast, the subset of Chinese fans who were insane ZJK fangirls* do not care about table tennis, they care about their idol. It is not the same thing. When he is not playing they get bored and restless and are a complete pain to everyone around them -- I suppose they behave like adolescents everywhere, except some of these people seemed a bit too old for this.

* (It is important to note that not all of the Chinese fans who attended the WTTC were insane ZJK fangirls. The ones who were could be easily identified by the ZJK fangirl paraphenalia they sport. Little plastic ZJK things they wear in their hair, ZJK t-shirts, little ZJK handbags that they use to store all their ZJK paraphernalia, etc. etc. Also their relative indifference to matches played by Ma Long and FZD, for example -- and certainly any matches where no Chinese were playing.)

Hey, I was annoyed by ZJK's girl fans too. Most of them look like having no interest in the game itself, purely for chasing their idol. God. I know ZJK was or may still be a good player, but national team should not lead player to a wrong way. When a player stops playing, most likely his charm and popularity would be gradually gone.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
I think Zhang is done..
Odds were 8,75 for Masaki Yoshida, I bet at him but not sure if they will not cancel this bet, lol..
Zhang looked like he didnt overcome yesterdays hangover yet.. or maybe had too much sex with all those fangirls or whatever..

Simply - I think Zhang is done..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
I think Zhang is done..
Odds were 8,75 for Masaki Yoshida, I bet at him but not sure if they will not cancel this bet, lol..
Zhang looked like he didnt overcome yesterdays hangover yet.. or maybe had too much sex with all those fangirls or whatever..

Simply - I think Zhang is done..

So he just gave up? Because of losing the first set?

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi