TTDaily Members Meet at or Near WTTC

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
IMHO I don't think it's very smart to judge over things before having personal experience. It comes across a bit prejudice, don't ya think?....

....on Gewo 25 at Suga's club near Frankfurt.

Did you guys get any photos? Any video?

Maybe a verbal telling of the tale?

Perhaps I missed it. Was there a thread where accounts of TTDaily members meeting at the 2017 WTTC were posted.

If so, oh well. There is room for more tall tales. Just ask Der_Echte!!!!

If not, anyone who was there and wants can post on their experience at the 2017 WTTC. And anyone who has photos or video of meetups with TTDaily members should also feel welcome to post.

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
It is in the chit chat thread -- which hopefully will not self collapse into a black hole and consume us all. We met up along with another friend of Suga's who also lives in Houston, and played and chatted and unfortunately the circumstances did not allow for consumption of beer. In Germany, the beer is..... really really good. I am hoping to finesse another work trip to Germany soon so we can hang out properly.

I didn't actually see anyone else from TTD. Dan was pretty busy and was in the press section I think.

I did see one guy in the stands with a TTD t-shirt so I asked him if he posted here but he told me no, but a friend in London sent him the shirt.

I was only at WTTC for two days so tried to spend as much time as I could watching matches and then I explored some other places (in Netherlands, not too far from Dusseldorf) and had work in Cologne before I was able to drive down to Frankfurt to meet up with Suga and David the night before my flight.

Next time. More time in Frankfurt!!!!

Last edited:
This user has no status.

Perhaps I missed it. Was there a thread where accounts of TTDaily members meeting at the 2017 WTTC were posted.

If not, anyone who was there and wants can post on their experience at the 2017 WTTC. And anyone who has photos or video of meetups with TTDaily members should also feel welcome to post.

Didn't meet any TTD Members but walked past Dan.
"Accidentally" stumbled into players training hall and managed to stay there for a full half hour before we got chucked out.
Came face to face with Kenta Matsudaira, Koki Niwa and Kristian Karlsson

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Once I get to a laptop I can recreate and relate what LIKELY happend in Frankfurt... Will be sure to turn our members into super heros with some wild adventures.

Carl awarding Der_Echte the grand prize is gunna be a slam dunk no-shyt Sherlock deal.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
*** Part ONE *** of Baal's 24 Hour adventure in Frankfurt.

THINK 24 star character JACK BAUER doing his thing to execute counter-terrorism missions...

** BEEP BEEp... BEEP BEEp... BEEP BEEp ... **

Time is 1700 local CET. Baal drives into Frankfurt on Autobahn 66 coming from a wonderful trip down the Rhein river. Idon't what side he drove on, but if he wanted to see the river sights while driving, he shoulda been on B9 on the south side of the Rhein, then bribe the Ferry operator to take him to Rüdesheim and continue on B42 to Wiesbaden and then A66.

Baal meets SugaD somewhere on the west side of town in a neutral location near A5, perhaps the west side swimming pool, since there is a ton of free parking. Baal parks his car and gets into SugaD's ride. Little did Baal know, SugaD rolls in STYLE, in a souped up tuned S7. SugaD's friend draw the bad straw and had to sit in the tiny back seat whing... The car looks like a sleeper, and for the first few miles Suga drives only 100km per hour, crosses A66 and A3... then suddenly, like a flashback from MEN IN BLACK, SugaD punches the accelerator and the car goes to the left lane (there are 3+ lanes now) (no one is slow) and speedo goes to 120, 140, 160... Baal is pressed back in the seat with G-Forces... speed hits 200, 240, 260, SugaD has only pressed accelerator halfway to the floor... once it hits 280 kph, Baal gets his balance, notices they have reached Bad Homburg and should turn around...

SugaD apologizes, tuns around, gets off the autobahn... and drives into the town to suggest a quick drink...

He parks right in front of the SPEILBANK !!! SugaD thinks he is gunna run a hustle on Baal, but he is out-gunned. Baal exits the vehicle, opens his gym bag, spins 10,000 rpm like a cartoon, and is now wearing a black Tuxedo that would shame James Bond... There is a tiny noticeable bulge under his left shoulder, could that be hiz Bereta?

Baal, drags SugaD & Co into the Speilbank and in 15 minute short, wins 100,000 Euros on the Wheel, doubles it at Blackjack, then security comes out and politely asks the party to immediately depart.

The S7 rolls south to Frankfurt while David navigates to the TT club. SugaD speed dials the janitor to open the TT facility.

The wait outside the club for 10 minutes. Janitor arrives and opens club.

Time is now 1800 CET local..

** BEEP BEEp... BEEP BEEp, BEEP BEEp. **

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
It would be good if every TTD member when he visits a tournament would wear TTD shirt. This way we all could recognise each other. (Tough I am the one who probably won't attend any tournament till next year.

I should have thought of that. I really should have. Perhaps I will succeed in convincing my wife to allow me to take another epic table tennis vacation again. Perhaps also we will have a perpetual motion machine that solves the world's energy problems. Anything is possible.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Suga actually drives a 1967 Bentley that has been converted into a low rider. It has style. It is rigged up so he can DJ from the passenger seat if needed.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Gutted I couldn't meet up with Baal and Suga. It was very difficult being in the right place at the right time, it was so hectic but an absolutely amazing experience.

I will post soon soon my write up of the experience at the World Champs, finishing it off. Frankfurt here we come guys!

I met up with various tt folk throughout the week such as TTGuru, Matt Hetherington, Adam Bobrow, Emil from Pongfinity and other tt users.

wttc2017meetup5.jpg

wttc2017meetup6.jpg

wttc2017meetup4.jpg

wttc2017meetup3.jpg

wttc2017meetup2.jpg

wttc2017meetup1.jpg

Will post my full experience here shortly :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
I should have thought of that. I really should have. Perhaps I will succeed in convincing my wife to allow me to take another epic table tennis vacation again. Perhaps also we will have a perpetual motion machine that solves the world's energy problems. Anything is possible.
Well, I think there are TTD members who live closer to tournaments.
:) Trust me, there are a lot of stuff that I miss because it's in the US. Or Japan. Or Hawaii. C'est la vie. Be positive.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Prizes will be given for whoever makes me laugh the hardest with a funny story.

Prizes will also be given for the funniest photo of TTDaily members at the WTTC.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

What about https://flic.kr/p/Vno6Zh - prolly not a TTD member yet, but hey, any kid under one desparately clutching binoculars to follow ZJKs downfall must surely be prime TTD material.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What about https://flic.kr/p/Vno6Zh - prolly not a TTD member yet, but hey, any kid under one desparately clutching binoculars to follow ZJKs downfall must surely be prime TTD material.

So far, in the prize giveaway:

1) Der_Echte is in the lead with the wildest story. Especially considering he wasn't even there, the blow by blow analysis was pretty great.

2) Baal is right up there with that info about how SugaD can spin records from the passenger seat of his Bentley Low Rider.

3) Yoass is right up at the top too with the best photo of this future TTDaily member.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews

Didn't find a lot time online the last few days, so i need to apologise for the delay.

Since i don't want to ruin the nice image Der_Echte has drawn in his lovely recap of our action, I'll just post this link to the CC-thread instead.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?13168-Daily-Table-Tennis-Chit-Chat&p=194349

But Der_Echte's story is undisputably the winner closely followed by Dan IMHO.
:)

It is in the chit chat thread -- which hopefully will not self collapse into a black hole and consume us all. We met up along with another friend of Suga's who also lives in Houston, and played and chatted and unfortunately the circumstances did not allow for consumption of beer. In Germany, the beer is..... really really good. I am hoping to finesse another work trip to Germany soon so we can hang out properly.

I didn't actually see anyone else from TTD. Dan was pretty busy and was in the press section I think.

I did see one guy in the stands with a TTD t-shirt so I asked him if he posted here but he told me no, but a friend in London sent him the shirt.

I was only at WTTC for two days so tried to spend as much time as I could watching matches and then I explored some other places (in Netherlands, not too far from Dusseldorf) and had work in Cologne before I was able to drive down to Frankfurt to meet up with Suga and David the night before my flight.

Next time. More time in Frankfurt!!!!

Really glad you had such a good time as David and me did.
Der_Echte has given us so much inspiration for your next stay.
That one Jack Bauer hour contains enough for a day or three.

And beer from a place where they make real beer.

You must be talking 'bout the “12 Apostels“.
Nice place.
Lekker homebrewed Beer, good food nice waitresses.
Why didn't i think of that before?
Definitely worth a visit.

*** Part ONE *** of Baal's 24 Hour adventure in Frankfurt.

THINK 24 star character JACK BAUER doing his thing to execute counter-terrorism missions...

** BEEP BEEp... BEEP BEEp... BEEP BEEp ... **

Time is 1700 local CET. Baal drives into Frankfurt on Autobahn 66 coming from a wonderful trip down the Rhein river. Idon't what side he drove on, but if he wanted to see the river sights while driving, he shoulda been on B9 on the south side of the Rhein, then bribe the Ferry operator to take him to Rüdesheim and continue on B42 to Wiesbaden and then A66.

Baal meets SugaD somewhere on the west side of town in a neutral location near A5, perhaps the west side swimming pool, since there is a ton of free parking. Baal parks his car and gets into SugaD's ride. Little did Baal know, SugaD rolls in STYLE, in a souped up tuned S7. SugaD's friend draw the bad straw and had to sit in the tiny back seat whing... The car looks like a sleeper, and for the first few miles Suga drives only 100km per hour, crosses A66 and A3... then suddenly, like a flashback from MEN IN BLACK, SugaD punches the accelerator and the car goes to the left lane (there are 3+ lanes now) (no one is slow) and speedo goes to 120, 140, 160... Baal is pressed back in the seat with G-Forces... speed hits 200, 240, 260, SugaD has only pressed accelerator halfway to the floor... once it hits 280 kph, Baal gets his balance, notices they have reached Bad Homburg and should turn around...

SugaD apologizes, tuns around, gets off the autobahn... and drives into the town to suggest a quick drink...

He parks right in front of the SPEILBANK !!! SugaD thinks he is gunna run a hustle on Baal, but he is out-gunned. Baal exits the vehicle, opens his gym bag, spins 10,000 rpm like a cartoon, and is now wearing a black Tuxedo that would shame James Bond... There is a tiny noticeable bulge under his left shoulder, could that be hiz Bereta?

Baal, drags SugaD & Co into the Speilbank and in 15 minute short, wins 100,000 Euros on the Wheel, doubles it at Blackjack, then security comes out and politely asks the party to immediately depart.

The S7 rolls south to Frankfurt while David navigates to the TT club. SugaD speed dials the janitor to open the TT facility.

The wait outside the club for 10 minutes. Janitor arrives and opens club.

Time is now 1800 CET local..

** BEEP BEEp... BEEP BEEp, BEEP BEEp. **

Hahahaha
[Emoji23]
You should send this story to George Lucas. Would love to see this (again).

[Emoji2]
Suga actually drives a 1967 Bentley that has been converted into a low rider. It has style. It is rigged up so he can DJ from the passenger seat if needed.

Glad i didn't come in my other car.
-a soccer mom vehicle-
(very helpful when i need to go out undercover though)
[Emoji6]

Gutted I couldn't meet up with Baal and Suga. It was very difficult being in the right place at the right time, it was so hectic but an absolutely amazing experience.

I will post soon soon my write up of the experience at the World Champs, finishing it off. Frankfurt here we come guys!

I met up with various tt folk throughout the week such as TTGuru, Matt Hetherington, Adam Bobrow, Emil from Pongfinity and other tt users.

wttc2017meetup5.jpg

wttc2017meetup6.jpg

wttc2017meetup4.jpg

wttc2017meetup3.jpg

wttc2017meetup2.jpg

wttc2017meetup1.jpg

Will post my full experience here shortly :)

Actually i was really pissed 'cause i couldn't make it to Düsseldorf, and really was hoping you might come to the TTBL finals.
https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?13744-German-League-2016-2017&p=194402
Today i have the honour to be witnessing the TTBL finals in Frankfurt between Düsseldorf and Fulda.
Man, what an atmosphere. Fulda fans are loud. Timo and Borussia Fans are even louder.
[Emoji15]
First match between Timo Boll and Jonathan Groth and the crowd already is exstatic.
Jonathan took the first set closely, so Timo Fans even get louder to push him to his limits.
Update: Timo's got the second one.
Luv it. Should've brought the video cam though.

But you can watch live streaming on TTBL.de commented by Richie Prause.

I'll be back in a minute

View attachment 13455
Opening Ceremony

View attachment 13484
View attachment 13485

Players entering the court.

View attachment 13486
View attachment 13487

Actiontime

View attachment 13488
View attachment 13489
View attachment 13490

A strayin' ball has found its way from Düsseldorf to Frankfurt
[Emoji15]
View attachment 13491

Someone's been spying on us
;)
View attachment 13497

Presentation/champions ceremony

View attachment 13492
View attachment 13493

The cup
View attachment 13494

View attachment 13495
View attachment 13496

Maybe next year. Not sure if i can make it to the German Open in November.

Hahaha. Nice catch
So far, in the prize giveaway:

1) Der_Echte is in the lead with the wildest story. Especially considering he wasn't even there, the blow by blow analysis was pretty great.

2) Baal is right up there with that info about how SugaD can spin records from the passenger seat of his Bentley Low Rider.

3) Yoass is right up at the top too with the best photo of this future TTDaily member.

Agreed. Though i think Dan deserves an xtra prize. He had to be very tough, ' cause i've heard the food catering and the food stands were a total disaster 'cause the were very rare.
Wonder if Dan has lost a lot of weight!

Last edited:
Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Agreed. Though i think Dan deserves an xtra prize. He had to be very tough, ' cause i've heard the food catering and the food stands were a total disaster 'cause the were very rare.
Wonder if Dan has lost a lot of weight!
I just saw Dan's holiday pics... I think he gained his natural weight after those pints. ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Hi All,

The recent WTTC was a great event for bringing people together. It was a pleasure to meet Dan in person and catch up with many others from the international scene. Great to see TTD moving up in the community with a spot on the media tribune, the best seats in the house!
In my role with the ITTF I was involved in statistics in Dusseldorf, keeping the media up to date with progress day by day, as well as providing useful facts and figures to the commentators and internal media team for ITTF articles etc. One of the highlights was working with Jonny Cowen and the guests for Liebherr Live, such as Britt Eerland and Hugo Calderano.
The players (and public) take an interest in the new World Rankings project, which will replace our current system in January 2018. It has recently been made available to view on the ITTF rankings page here: http://www.ittf.com/rankings/
This is a work in progress, and perhaps a TTD thread has already been made to discuss it, but I would be interested in any feedback. Bear in mind the decisions for criteria in the WR are not made by me, only the end product.

A world championships is always a great opportunity to see the best players from around the globe, as well as encountering the names from outside the court. It's always nice to put faces to the names of people who are responsible for making the sport what it is today. We are all die-hard fans too! I hope to meet some more people from TTD in future. If anyone is frequenting Singapore let me know, that's where I'm currently based.

-Matt