How do I serve a heavy backspin serve with good forward momentum?

This user has no status.
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]currently my standard backspin serve is quite heavy in sidespin but not as much in backspin, maybe 75% side and 25% back from what I notice. I brush down the backside of the ball, at the 4 o'clock position, but still lots of side and barely any backspin.[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]I can do a heavy pure backspin serve by brushing at the 6 o'clock under the ball, with my paddle basically perpendicular to the table, but this serve seems not practical in a match because the ball travels too slow and goes high, AND it's VERY hard to place this ball long (a lot of upwards momentum, and not enough forward), so opponent can easily attack it.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]I want to improve my technique to have more backspin on it, but keeping note of my above points, is it even possible? [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText][Either a pure backspin serve or with lots of sidespin - both are fine, because I don't have any trouble generating lots of sidespin].[/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
serve is really the most difficult thing to learn i believe. There's plenty of techniques, all valid. you just have to find at least 1 that suits you for your purpose.

what's important is the speed/acceleration of the racket right at the impact, and where you contact the ball, and how it contacts your racket.

visualize how the ball contacts your racket during the motion. the more it contacts your racket, the more spin.

you can add spin by taking more backswing. with the arm/forearm/wrist. I've heard some good servers sometimes say its not always good to add wrist on some serves, because there is less control (especially long serves)

for backspin serves, ending promptly the follow through helps.

contacting the ball near you gives more control and power. It will be easier to reproduce again and again the same serve.

----

I find it not very good always to mimic a video, because sometimes you may have already some GOOD serve, and you want to learn another serve with a SIMILAR motion to make it more difficult for your opponent to read it. So you may learn a new very good serve, but you would have to learn all the "related" serves as well, else if you learn only for example to do backspin with pendulum motion, your opponent will know its always backspin and adjust quickly.

Of course there's always a few tips you can learn from a video, but then you must adapt them to your own style and technique.

Reactions: sanavasaraja
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The object take-away is the stroke should be forward.

The grip pressure at impact is light, very light. You stay loose. You contact the bottom of ball 6:00 and go forward.

If anyone takes a vid of themselves failing to keep the ball short, they will notice their bat angle at impact is not open enough. Sometimes open, but swing is downward or they stop acceleration to slow ball down.

Many players start the swing at the right bat angle, then angle it upwards, then as the swing happens, they to not open the bat, ball goes too far forward. Some death grip the bat, a no-go.