Head Size: 150x157mm
Surface Hardness: Medium Stiff
Speed: OFF

cache.php

IMG20170615194617_zpso7xsnu92.jpg

IMG20170615194516_zpsp3falkyn.jpg

IMG20170615194516_zpsp3falkyn.jpg

IMG20170615194431_zps1hy1xjkn.jpg

The Arctic wood is the last blade released out of the 7 newest blades by Stiga. The Arctic wood or should I say AW, has a new outer wood ply material that is not used by Stiga compared to the blade designs it had in the past. With Stiga, it is usually walnut and limba outer plies with treatments on the outer plies to make them stiff or any other characteristic for a blade Stiga wants it to be. I was really having a hard time looking for info on what an Arctic wood is. I cannot find any online. The top plies which Stiga calls Arctic wood looks like a white ash wood but it has narrower white lines in it so it is not white ash but probably belonging to the same species or genus.

The AW has a medium stiff feel. When I bounced the ball on the blade, it had a medium-pitched sound. The top plies have a very thin varnish on it but I do advise people to seal the blade lightly. When I removed the rubbers, the varnished part seems to have disappeared. I have not experienced any splintering as of the moment when I changed rubbers during testing. The AW is very light. The legend flared is only 85 grams and it could be lighter by 2-3 grams if it is in master flared handle.

I used the Mantra M, H and Globe 999 rubbers for testing. Even with the Globe 999 on one side, the whole racket is not head heavy and it is still light. Stiga rated this to be slightly faster than the Eternity VPS but it seems to be just a notch slower. The difference in speed between the 2 blades is noticeable but the gap is not the much. If I compare it to other blades, the AW is faster than the Korbel, Primorac off- and Infinity VPS but it is slower than the Stratus Powerwood, Mazunov, Rosewood V and Ebenholz V blades. The AW offers a new feel among 5-ply Stiga blades wherein it feels different and there is this special feel, balance of speed and flex plus the good amount of looping you can get from the blade. It almost felt like a Violin or a Yinhe E-4 blade but it has this softness or flex when you are looping with it that felt good and easy looping. The Infinity VPS is a very good blade but the feel becomes common considering that there are a multitude of blades with the same construction in the market today. It was a good idea that Stiga decided to use a new type of outer ply for its blade. The blade is a looper’s dream blade. Near the table and above the table, loop drives are easy to perform. The blade is good up to mid-distance with a Chinese rubber. With the Mantra H , you can go as far as maybe 8 feet from the table. Blocking is good as the AW is a very stable blade to block with. Drop shots and short pushes are also a walk in the park with the AW since the blade is very easy to control. Smashes are above average but if you want to maximize smashing with the Arctic wood, I suggest you get a medium to medium hard non-Chinese rubber with it. Playability wise, even beginners can use this blade with slower rubbers and will have no problem developing their strokes. The difference between this and the Stratus Powerwood is that the AW offers more control and is more forgiving on shots especially when attacking. The SPW is really not for beginners. I would pick the AW over the SPW since the speed difference is not that big but the former offers better control and better looping against underspin. It is good for all types of styles from all-around players who blocks, do drop shots and attack to pure attackers and loopers.
This blade is the most balanced blade I have tried among Stiga’s blades because it does not feel too stiff yet it has plenty of flex to loop. The speed is already fast at OFF but control is also balanced and the blade is very forgiving. It is also a light blade.

well, it's a well-balanced blade that is good almost at everything. i wish they could have made the neck of the handle a bit bigger with legend flared. the neck seems to be slender and same size with the master flared with only a wider handle base.

Reactions: SFF_lib
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Can you compare it to other all wood blades? Such as Celero, Intensity NCT, HH2?

Sent from my WAS-LX2 using Tapatalk

Didn't he compare it to the Primorac Off-, Korbel, Stratus Power Wood, Mazinov, Ebenholz, Eternity, Rosewood and Infinity? That is 8 all wood blades he compared it to. I guess adding another 3 or 4 isn't a problem though. But if you have any experience with any of those 8, you can sort of have an idea of how the blade compares to the 3 you are asking for.

Nice review Yogi.

So you say it is stiff, but has flex. I guess you may mean that the surface has hardness, but that the blade also flexes. Is that right?

You also say it is a looper's dream. How does it grab the ball? Does it really grab hard like Hinoki? Or does it grab crisp like Limba? What do you think makes it feel so good for looping? Is it just the flex of the blade or is it something else?

Any idea what the middle ply is? It looks like a heat treated spruce. But it is hard to tell what it is from the photo. How does the middle ply feel? Springy?

i woudl compare it to the oc-cr almost at that level in terms of "grabbing" the ball because it is easier to loop. basically, it has flex that you need to spin the ball easily at the same time there is this hardness or stiffness that it has in order for you to have fast speed. the blade feels more crispy than the infinity overall. the blade surface is medium stiff not stiff. inner plies are spruce and probably heat treated ayous.

Reactions: SFF_lib
This user has no status.
I think the point of Arctic wood is that it is from trees grown in arctic conditions meaning the seasons are short and so the growth rings are closer together (which you noticed when you say that there are narrower white lines in the wood). It might very well be white ash which looks different because of the closeness of the growth rings. The point being the closer the growth rings - the denser the wood - therefore harder the wood - and thus the stiffer the surface. Of course harvesting trees from a region where it is slow growth has its draw backs but it might make for some very good blades short term. It is much like the approach Stradivarius used in harvesting trees in the "Il Bosco Che Suona" — The Musical Woods, a region in the Italian Alps with a similarly short growing season that makes for dense wood.

Or I could be completely wrong. :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I know, the OSP is just too flexy for me with my combination. I need a little bit more stiffness and control.

When you are having fun and trying different things, there is really nothing wrong with EJing. And you have been playing long enough to play around and have some fun with your equipment choices.

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
It looks beautiful. I like the handle and wings and I am fussy about that. I really liked Infinity before so I think this will be perfect for me!!

The top ply looks excellent, one piece and very smooth, but I think I will seal it just too be sure!!

This is the most excited I have been about a blade for years.

I really hope I am not disappointed. I have told myself it will be a bit more flexy and reactive than the 7 ply I have been using and I will give it time to adapt!!

Lol i saw that post of yours. I thought you were not fully sure yet to buy the arctic blade.