BREAKING: Ma Long & Fan Zhendong boycott CHINA OPEN!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
if no punishment to them, gov would feel like "other people would lose fear because disobedience has no consequence, then all would dare to disobey". This is the mentality how this country is managing its citizens. So, to maintain this fear and authority, definitely punishment would come.
Yeah, but punishment isn't necessarily means ruining their career.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Yeah, but punishment isn't necessarily means ruining their career.

More or less, career is compromised. Great player would have high odds to become head coach and even high official at GAS in China. Now, I don't think ML FZD XX would be on the list of coach/official candidates.

Maybe they were being impulsive when chose to stand up for LGL.
Justice is rare in China.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
for the ones thinking they can just jump ship to another nation,
remember that IOC has strict rules in place
Ma Long will never be able to represent another country in the olympics
XX if teams count, he will not be able to represent another country in the olympics

for FZD, given his age, there is a "time frame" until he can represent another country in the olympics
I think its 6 or 8 years? can't remember

So they can't play table tennis anymore and participate to competitons

This user has no status.
What IOC strict rule you were referring to? Pls share?

I don't have time to find it
you can google it
I think this was in place for over 12 years already,
after 2004 i think or before

ITTF Handbook (2016)

4: Regulations for World, Olympic and Paralympic Title Competitions

4.1 World Championships

4.1.3 Eligibility

Only an Association which is not in arrears (1.16.3.3) and has taken part with at least one player or team (an entry) in its preceding Continental Championships, including qualification tournaments, or Continental Games, shall be eligible to enter teams or individual players in the Championships.
In addition to provisions of 3.8, players who have acquired a new nationality and wish to represent the association corresponding to the new nationality shall register with ITTF through this new Association.
Such player shall not represent the new Association before:

4.1.3.3.1​
3 years after the date of registration, if the player is under the age of 15 when registered, but only 1 year after the date of registration if the player has never represented another association;
4.1.3.3.2​
5 years after the date of registration, if the player is under the age of 18 but at least 15 years of age when registered;​
4.1.3.3.3​
7 years after the date of registration, if the player is under the age of 21 but at least 18 years of age when registered.​
4.1.3.4​
Players being 21 years of age or older will not be registered with the ITTF and will not be eligible to represent a new association at World Championships.

4.5 OLYMPIC COMPETITIONS

4.5.1 Eligibility

To be eligible for participation in the Olympic Games a player, coach or official shall comply with the Olympic Charter as well as with the ITTF rules. In particular the above mentioned persons shall
4.5.1.1.1​
be entered by their National Olympic Committee (NOC);​
4.5.1.3​
Any player shall be a national of the country of the NOC which is entering him or her.
A player who is a national of 2 or more countries at the same time may represent either one of them, as he or she may elect.
After having represented one country in the Olympic Games, in continental or regional games or in world or regional championships recognised by the ITTF, a player may not represent another country unless he or she meets the conditions set forth in 4.5.1.3.3.
A player who has represented one country in the Olympic Games, in continental or regional games or in world or regional championships recognised by the ITTF and who has changed his or her nationality or acquired a new nationality, may participate in the Olympic Games to represent his or her new country provided that at least 3 years have passed since the player last represented his or her former country.
The 3-years-period mentioned in 4.5.1.3.3 may be reduced or even cancelled, with the agreement of the NOCs concerned and the ITTF Executive Committee, by the IOC Executive Board, which takes into account the circumstances of each case.
If an associated state, province or overseas department, a country or colony acquires independence, if a country becomes incorporated within another country by reason of a change of border, or if a new NOC is recognised by the IOC, a player may continue to represent the country to which he or she belongs or belonged. However, he or she may, if he or she prefers, choose to represent his or her country or be entered in the Olympic Games by his or her new NOC if one exists. This particular choice may be made only once.
4.5.1.4​
All disputes relating to the determination of the country which a player may represent in the Olympic Games and in particular issue specific requirements relating to nationality, citizenship, domicile or residence of the player, including the duration of any waiting period, shall be resolved by the IOC Executive Board

http://www.old.ittf.com/ittf_handbook/2016/2016_ITTF_HB.pdf

Regulations for World Cup are the same as for World Championships.

Cheers,
BLUE

Reactions: Suga D
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Rain, what is your best guess as to whether Gou Zhongwen keeps his job? I predict he will because it seems like the kinds of "reforms" he is imposing reflect philosophical preferences of the current faction of the CPC running the country. They will not be easily pressured to make a change. I hope I am wrong (and my prediction is mostly based on "gut feeling" and observation from foreigner's perspective, so maybe not accurate).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
A famous lawyer is requesting information from Gou Zhongwen.

This lawyer has won multiple high profile cases against authority in the past. That's why he's raising this case to another level.

Interesting space. I do hope he has a detailed plan that can succeed. I know the Chinese government can easily bend the rules to benefit themselves.

Passionate about TT

Reactions: Baal
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Rain, what is your best guess as to whether Gou Zhongwen keeps his job? I predict he will because it seems like the kinds of "reforms" he is imposing reflect philosophical preferences of the current faction of the CPC running the country. They will not be easily pressured to make a change. I hope I am wrong (and my prediction is mostly based on "gut feeling" and observation from foreigner's perspective, so maybe not accurate).

There is such a thing as silent diplomacy, where issues are discussed and stances perhaps softened quietly, without (too much) loss of face — or, rather, too much public loss of face.

When things go public, stances harden. It is hard to seek a soft solution once every aberration from the hard line becomes a public admittal of weakness. Then again, if public pressure is the only driving force that might help correct gross derailment... but a lot of public pressure is required when things go head to head with "strong men" reputations being at stake.

Reactions: Baal
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
A famous lawyer is requesting information from Gou Zhongwen.

This lawyer has won multiple high profile cases against authority in the past. That's why he's raising this case to another level.

Interesting space. I do hope he has a detailed plan that can succeed. I know the Chinese government can easily bend the rules to benefit themselves.

Passionate about TT

That is what makes this so interesting; it is a lot bigger than table tennis now. As yoass said, this can also cause positions to harden as there is the considerable risk of losing face. (Someone somewhere will lose face over this, but who?). Now, the question is, will the chance of Gou Zhongwen's bosses losing face from his obvious incompetence cause them to jettison him, or is he well enough positioned to survive all of this, in which case sports in China faces dark times ahead?

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
That is what makes this so interesting; it is a lot bigger than table tennis now. As yoass said, this can also cause positions to harden as there is the considerable risk of losing face. (Someone somewhere will lose face over this, but who?). Now, the question is, will the chance of Gou Zhongwen's bosses losing face from his obvious incompetence cause them to jettison him, or is he well enough positioned to survive all of this, in which case sports in China faces dark times ahead?
I suspect higher authority will get involved, not just GZW. Lately GZW has made a few laughable decisions - transferring Taekwondo's coach to female soccer team, asking all summer Olympic team to participate in winter Olympic etc. His profile has become a joke in the public.

What is scary is that, the result can be great, or gloomy sick.

His higher authority might find ways to deal with his stupidity. I mean his decisions proves that he's an idiot in sport.

On the other hand, if higher authority is FOR GZW, the future (or even safety) for our five heroes will be in jeopardy.

But this lawyer's winning record gives us hope. His most well known winning case against the National Railway Authority ensure no price hike during the Chinese New Year period since 2008.

Let's hope for the best.

Passionate about TT

Reactions: Suga D
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Now, the question is, will the chance of Gou Zhongwen's bosses losing face from his obvious incompetence cause them to jettison him, or is he well enough positioned to survive all of this, in which case sports in China faces dark times ahead?

BOOM! I think that question's spot on.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Read 2 reviews
I will risk myself at a big speculation here, just want to have your thoughts about it :

What if Gou Zhongwen was named Director of the GAS precisely to reduce the influence of sports and sport stars in China? Maybe the gov is feeling that the rise of champions like Ma Long, Zhang Jike, and all the fans and fame they get is a threat to their autorithy (looking at the fans reactions, I feel like it is one actually). I don't believe in it myself, but after reading all the stupid things Mr. Gou did already as the Director of the GAS I had to think about a valid explanation about why hasn't this guy been fired already.
Do you guys think it would be something possible?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
I will risk myself at a big speculation here, just want to have your thoughts about it :

What if Gou Zhongwen was named Director of the GAS precisely to reduce the influence of sports and sport stars in China? Maybe the gov is feeling that the rise of champions like Ma Long, Zhang Jike, and all the fans and fame they get is a threat to their autorithy (looking at the fans reactions, I feel like it is one actually). I don't believe in it myself, but after reading all the stupid things Mr. Gou did already as the Director of the GAS I had to think about a valid explanation about why hasn't this guy been fired already.
Do you guys think it would be something possible?

Don't think so. Even though ML ZJK FZD may seem popular. Compared to TV or movie stars, sports celebrity hasn't got that much influence and fame.

I saw someone dug out the dirty history about Gou Zhongwen, saying he once did some sort of shameful things, related to Islamic something. Who has a clear story about that?

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Xi Jinping, the current leader of China, is quite different from the previous two Party Secretaries such as Hu Jintao. His economic policies are in many ways more market oriented and "liberal", partly from a time when he lived in the US. Unlike Gou Zhongwen, he is smart and thinks quickly on his fit, for example during interviews with foreign journalists.

With that said, he does not like at all western ideas of freedom of speech or open internet and he likes central control. He strongly favors internet censorship.

From Wikipedia: "A law enacted in September 2013 authorized a three-year prison term for bloggers who shared more than 500 times any content considered "defamatory".[142] A group of influential bloggers were summoned by the State Internet Information Department to a seminar instructing them to avoid writing about politics, the Communist Party, or making statements contradicting official narratives. Many bloggers stopped writing about controversial topics, and Weibo went into decline, with much of its readership shifting to WeChat users speaking to very limited social circles".

His rhetoric at times is quite a bit more Maoist. On the one hand, central control "reforms" like what GSA is attempting will be to his liking. On the other hand it is hard to see how he can tolerate idiots like Gou Zhongwen.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I suspect Gou Zhongwen will be kicked out but not immediately because it cannot be made to look like popular pressure played any role. In the mean time, he will mess many things up. Players will pay a big price for protest, probably financially, and publicly so, by suspension for awhile.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
So much drama! Comments and shares of LGL's new Weibo post are now invisible. His post cannot be shared any more.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
http://sports.qq.com/a/20170627/053999.htm
LGL's new post. 1. They must firmly support Xi. 2. He supports "reform". 3. He did not know the boycott beforehand. 4. He was concerned about the huge public responses.
Need to read between the lines but I cannot conclude if it is good news for CNT or not.

QZJ was able to share LGL's post saying "Go, CNT. Go China". Other 4 did not and will not be able to share LGL's post anymore.

LGL hit top 10 hot search a few minutes ago but now removed from hot search.

People are still angry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D and yourock