BREAKING: Ma Long & Fan Zhendong boycott CHINA OPEN!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
ZJK's fangirls are now telling everyone that ZJK withdrew due to injury and he is the good guy who are not with those bad gangs daring to challenge the authority.

Hilariously, Xiao Zhan, ZJK's former coach liked a post of the statement from the General Administration of Sports on his Weibo account. It seems that he is very looking forward to the punishment.

Dude...seriously? like = total approval of a severe punishment?

The thing is what happened is indeed sad for us fans but not surprising, we all know for years that the chinese system is totalitarian , and so many years of "family practice" and bondage are not erased just because there was an external factor screwing things up... unless the coaching staff undermined each other or had huge disagreements that led to this situation.

Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
He can just stay silent if he had not chosen a side. He liked that post at 2 am in the morning.

Dude...seriously? like = total approval of a severe punishment?

The thing is what happened is indeed sad for us fans but not surprising, we all know for years that the chinese system is totalitarian , and so many years of "family practice" and bondage are not erased just because there was an external factor screwing things up... unless the coaching staff undermined each other or had huge disagreements that led to this situation.

Reactions: shinshiro and Baal
says Aging is a killer
It strikes me that the players are a bit naive. But that comes with having LGL running your life (in a good way) from before pubescence. Breaking that attachment was too much for them.
Let's hope that CTTA/Govt can work this out without too much bother.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
It strikes me that the players are a bit naive. But that comes with having LGL running your life from before pubescence. Breaking that attachment was too much for them.

I do not see how we can make this judgment as the players are clearly in a position of having more information than we do.

Reactions: sanavasaraja
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
For all you know you could be a "sarcastic" like :D ... like Mr. D 's "I am being investigated" .. btw I fully support the idea of US giving asylum to these guys and getting a few Olympic medals .. I am even ready to give my couch to Ma Long if he decides to move ... ;)
He can just stay silent if he had not chosen a side. He liked that post at 2 am in the morning.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Very well spoken by Timo, this is the position that most of us should take. This is not an easy decision to make, I am sure they are mature enough to understand the consequences , since they did not do it on the spur of the moment but waited and thought it through ... lets respect their decisions instead of harping on why Zhang Jike or his coach did not support it , they must have had their reasons , as professionals I am sure they all have respect for LGL and how he has lead the team in recent times, especially a lot of the success of the current CNT has to do with some of the decisions LGL has made and most of them owe a lot to LGL ... lets just hope that the punishments are not going to destroy the careers of the people involved , its a sad day for table tennis that this had to happen , but since it has already happened lets hope the sadness ends here and this can be resolved through dialogue instead of doling out punishments like a authoritarian regime ... I hope the administrators in China know that Table tennis is a global and very popular sport and the whole world is watching their every step ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Interesting people appreciated their rebellious protest then start to call them naive when authority announced they would be punished. Everything has a consequence. When they chose to withdraw and post such a thing, they definitely would think about the worst scenario. I'm not that stupid to be unaware of TIANANMEN SQUARE shooting or other cracking down on similar rebellious action. But in this CHINA OPEN protest case, I still don't think there would be life threat to the players. China government could be savages when it comes to dealing with commoners. But with people with high profile like ML FZD XX, government would be discreet. I think the worst punishment would be secretly offering less chances to these 3 players for playing at top pro events, gradually, in two or three years. In these 2-3 years, we'd still say their faces at venue. I guess they still could choose to play for other countries after these possible ban and limitation.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I frequent the Chinese forums and Weibo; some stuff I think that might contribute to the conversation:

ON XIAOZHAN & HIS STUDENTS
Back when Xiao Zhan got moved to coach the women's team there was talk of him losing a power struggle against Qin Zhijian, who is thought to have been backed by Liu Guoliang; his not supporting LGL and the protest could stem from this.

Another potential factor is that Xiao Zhan's father is Sichuan's Chairman of the Table Tennis Association. The government is going to come down pretty hard on the Sichuan TT gov officials (btw Qiu Yike is also a member of Sichuan's TT gov body) for letting such a huge and embarrassing shitshow happen on their territory, so it could be that Xiao Zhan stopped his students from joining in on the protest to try to control the situation on behalf of his father & student. He's also officially part of the women's team as a coach now, so he could just be trying to distance the woman's team from the protesting men's team.

ON LIU GUOLIANG
About Liu Guoliang, there are suspicions that he isn't clean either, similar to his bro KLH. Back when KLH's fiasco and later when he got "promoted," there were fans who theorized that the gov found out he was doing shady shit too but were saving face (for both him and the gov) by just stuffing him into a position with a pretty name but no real power.

There are also some people who feel like getting rid of Liu Guoliang isn't necessarily a bad thing, because he has been continuously consolidating his power in the Table Tennis team to the point where he's starting to become a "dirt-emperor," which is a situation ripe for potential corruption and nepotism. According to older fans (back from before the London Olympics), the Chinese table tennis scene has always been pretty gross (mostly among the upper workings, not the players), which is why some of them support the government's reform attempts this time. Prior the Head Coach was basically free to make any sort of decision regarding the team or anything TT-related; supposedly the reform this time removing the Head Coach and only having individual coaches who focus solely on training and technique (and not all the other stuff) was aimed at reducing this sort of power consolidation.

There also seems to be constant talk about power struggles (for instance, between regional factions, although this seems irrelevant here other than Shandong players being notably missing from the protesting list; could be a coincidence, or not, idk), with the losers ending up sent back to province teams to coach (old Yin Xiao, against Cai Zhenhua, who is in essence LGL's boss) or to positions with name but no power (Lv Lin, against Liu Guoliang). Since LGL is from Bayi he got a lot of support from his fellow Bayi bros, but as part of the army, doing shit like this may get them worse punishments.

DISCLAIMER: Of course, take the above with a grain of salt, as it's coming from a lot of Chinese netz who like to gossip; accuracy not guaranteed. I also didn't bother detailing the positive things/reactions by the fans (which have been numerous), since this thread is overwhelmingly positive and in favor of LGL and the protesters; you guys seem to have that covered, so I figure it's unnecessary for me to rehash it again haha.

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Thans worko for a lot more background. Byzantine stuff.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
I frequent the Chinese forums and Weibo; some stuff I think that might contribute to the conversation:

ON XIAOZHAN & HIS STUDENTS
Back when Xiao Zhan got moved to coach the women's team there was talk of him losing a power struggle against Qin Zhijian, who is thought to have been backed by Liu Guoliang; his not supporting LGL and the protest could stem from this.

Another potential factor is that Xiao Zhan's father is Sichuan's Chairman of the Table Tennis Association. The government is going to come down pretty hard on the Sichuan TT gov officials (btw Qiu Yike is also a member of Sichuan's TT gov body) for letting such a huge and embarrassing shitshow happen on their territory, so it could be that Xiao Zhan stopped his students from joining in on the protest to try to control the situation on behalf of his father & student. He's also officially part of the women's team as a coach now, so he could just be trying to distance the woman's team from the protesting men's team.

ON LIU GUOLIANG
About Liu Guoliang, there are suspicions that he isn't clean either, similar to his bro KLH. Back when KLH's fiasco and later when he got "promoted," there were fans who theorized that the gov found out he was doing shady shit too but were saving face (for both him and the gov) by just stuffing him into a position with a pretty name but no real power.

There are also some people who feel like getting rid of Liu Guoliang isn't necessarily a bad thing, because he has been continuously consolidating his power in the Table Tennis team to the point where he's starting to become a "dirt-emperor," which is a situation ripe for potential corruption and nepotism. According to older fans (back from before the London Olympics), the Chinese table tennis scene has always been pretty gross (mostly among the upper workings, not the players), which is why some of them support the government's reform attempts this time. Prior the Head Coach was basically free to make any sort of decision regarding the team or anything TT-related; supposedly the reform this time removing the Head Coach and only having individual coaches who focus solely on training and technique (and not all the other stuff) was aimed at reducing this sort of power consolidation.

There also seems to be constant talk about power struggles (for instance, between regional factions, although this seems irrelevant here other than Shandong players being notably missing from the protesting list; could be a coincidence, or not, idk), with the losers ending up sent back to province teams to coach (old Yin Xiao, against Cai Zhenhua, who is in essence LGL's boss) or to positions with name but no power (Lv Lin, against Liu Guoliang). Since LGL is from Bayi he got a lot of support from his fellow Bayi bros, but as part of the army, doing shit like this may get them worse punishments.

DISCLAIMER: Of course, take the above with a grain of salt, as it's coming from a lot of Chinese netz who like to gossip; accuracy not guaranteed. I also didn't bother detailing the positive things/reactions by the fans (which have been numerous), since this thread is overwhelmingly positive and in favor of LGL and the protesters; you guys seem to have that covered, so I figure it's unnecessary for me to rehash it again haha.

I like your disclaimer lol. I am a Chinese who also frequent the Chinese forums and Weibo and sorry about my English. Battles between fans of players (and between fans of players and coaches, for some odd reasons) usually happen in social communication websites. A lot of incorrect gossips result from such battles, so don't take gossips too seriously without evidence, especially coming from extreme fans, or "fans".

Also, ZJK has his own studio, starting from last year, while the rest of the team doesn't. Basically, it means it's experts in media v.s. experts in athletics in social communication websites. Guess the results? Not always gossips, sometimes they are misleading the crowd on purpose. And many fans don't need evidence, they just want to believe what's good for them and "make it real".

Even if you step back, they take down KLH for a reason, but why LGL? Because of gossips may be real? That is really bad because anyone can be take down because of "saving face" in the eyes of some guys : ).

Last edited:
Reactions: sanavasaraja
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
I am surprised no major news outlet has a article on this yet. This does not look good for the China Mens Team.

as much as we love TT, its still a very small sport in the west. besides, chinese "scandals" isnt something unfamiliar to westerners and it comes down as normal, no great story or big news there. I think only soccer would draw attention but then again who cares about chinese soccer or basketball

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Is Shang Kun a world champion or even an asian champion? What is his highest WR? Did he go to WTTC with CNT as a practice partner? I like his play style and don't want him to retire although he had that plan. But he is not a person in CNT whose words count and it does not matter if he chose a side or kept silent. It is just interesting to see what side the players in the same coach group or provincial team chose.

BTW, the core players and important practice partners all went to WTTC.
cache.php

so validity of one's opinion and view of a situation is related to his TT performance and ranking.