Backspin like Mizutani/Ma Lin ghost serve?

This user has no status.
When I serve my backspin, after it goes onto the opponents side of the table, the ball will not travel back towards the net (see below for Mizutani serve) and even when it goes onto the floor I notice the ball doesn't really travel back in my direction at all.

So i'm wondering, is it important for me to get all of my backspin serves to have more of the backwards component, that causes the ball to travel back in my direction after reaching the opponents side of the table (if the ball is left untouched)?

I know a serve that always has the ball come back to the net is probably not necessary, but is a good quality backspin serve one that always has the ball SOMEWHAT bounce backwards? Even if that means bounce backwards after it is on the floor.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
If it does not come back at all, neither on the table nor on the floor, I doubt that there is a good amount of backspin involved.

Some exercises off the table might help you. For example try to play a backspin ball over a barrier and make it roll back to you under the barrier.
On the table, try to generate as much backspin as possible without trying to serve legally. Just play a high ball , if necessary remove the net.

This user has no status.
One thing that helps, try to slow down your serve and get it right first. Exaggerate your focus on the spin, try to make sure you spin the ball outwards rather than hit it out. The mindset is a bit similar to when you first try to do a double bounce serve.

It's not essential to have this, but it really makes sure that you have enough spin on the serve, and having the ability to serve at various speeds and with various amounts of spin to different locations is always great for deception.