Who do you think will win the Australian Open 2017?

• Jun Mizutani

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Koki Niwa

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Marcos Freitas

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Simon Gauzy

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Kenta Matsudaira

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yuto Muramatsu

• Mattias Karlsson

• Others (Harimoto, Oshima, Mattias, Shibaev)

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
"Is Samsonov a great player, with impressive longevity and amazing achievements at age 40/41? Yes! But is Samsonov of 2016/2017 playing as well as ever? Nah"

Okay.

This is what a player at 40+ is generally going to be. A player who is getting older, losing some of his skills, mobility, strength and stamina.

Usually the players in any sport that are doing well at Samsonov's age are doing well not because they are getting better or something like that. They are doing well because, in an occasional tournament, they can put it all together, from a tactics standpoint and pull off some wins against players they really shouldn't beat.

Not many athletes can play at that level or close to it by that age. So, yeah, it is clear that he is older and well past his prime. But it is more remarkable than most people actually realize, how well he plays at that age.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Not many athletes can play at that level or close to it by that age. So, yeah, it is clear that he is older and well past his prime. But it is more remarkable than most people actually realize, how well he plays at that age.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

At his age you can expect some inconsistency, a lot of it will depend on how he feels physically on a particular day. Some days he will be less mobile and less elastic. On good days he will be as good as he was on a typical day from ten years ago. As time goes on he will have fewer good days. Also, at this time he cannot achieve the level of his best days from ten years ago. He will be more prone to injury also. Older players can maintain strength and endurance, but quickness and flexibility decline a lot.

But even now, if you are not on the CNT and you are planning to beat him you better bring your A game (or hope that on this day his back and knees are really sore and he is not seeing the ball well). Because even now if he is having an unusually good day and you are not on the CNT, odds are he will still beat you.

I hope he plays as long as possible because I love to watch him.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
A fantastic performance from a fantastic player. I hope he plays for as long as he wants to.

Reactions: yoass