Forehand loop internal shoulder rotation

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Most certainly. Forgive me for being long-winded. I was desperate to find good info on how I can avoid shoulder impingement on my TT forehand drive with my shakehand grip and found good info on here. Needless to say I have learned a lot through the trauma and experience as I play a lot of tennis also and am relatively ignorant when it comes to TT.

If I go near certain swing paths and follow throughs I get extreme pain and impingement which completely inhibits me and helps me to miss sitters through fear of pain, yet I hit winners from much harder shots at times.

Some things have helped slightly such as suggestions to get low, swing from the hips and use the torso more, keep compact and not follow through past the midline etc. etc. I had a job to keep the bat face closed enough and at present the only thing that seems to help is to have the bat face more open on the take back and close it as I swing forward and also keep the handle pointing downwards (which may be helping to keep my elbow lower and avoid the impingement) I guess this is all probably unorthodox and may be would be regarded as a slap shot?

You also might consider things like strengthening your rotator cuff muscles as part of getting the shoulder to improve. Without knowing the injury, it is still an odds on bet that rotator cuff strengthening will be a helpful part of rehabilitating the shoulder since 98-99% of adults need that in the first place and the rotator cuff muscles are unique in how they act both as a muscle and as a ligament that holds the head of the femur in the glenohumeral joint (the ball and socket joint of the shoulder).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
You should practise to avoid using shoulder altogether. Took me a few months and it’s still not very perfect now. The key in table tennis stroke is not in the end, but the backswing. Your swing is a consequence of your backswing so always focus your mind on how to backswing properly. Hard to be specific but hope that helps.

for example, to a void backswing your arm (which uses the shoulder and is human natural swing), think about your shoulder line, catching the ball by your left shoulder so the shoulder line is always rotated properly. If you keep telling yourself “use the hip” it’s too difficult because your arm would still backswing involuntarily. The shoulder line is closer to the problem.

Reactions: latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Another thing is so called “shoulder dislocation”. This depends on individual but for me, who does not have physical shoulders, reminding myself to have boxers’ shoulder position before hitting is important as the joints would move much more fluidly. Sure you could find your most comfy location more easily but it’s not gonna be “Im Tarzan” chest up position.

the key is that every move should feel round and fluid, no jerky or tense.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Very interesting, first time I hear about Western grip in TT. Ok, maybe not first, there was this American fella with unconventional technique but I don't remember his name. The guy from the 'fastest TT serve' video on youtube does something similar as well.

Wouldn't Seamiller grip have the effect of giving you a western grip on FH, or close to it?

Reactions: latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
I agree with comments that it relates to recover and limited follow through. Because in tennis you have more time between shots you can rotate the body more 'side to square' than is possible in the short time for table tennis, with the relatively more square stance of the table tennis player this internal rotation just goes the wrong direction! Add to that speed can be generated in other ways, timing and contact point, there really isn't the need for as much force