Simon Gauzy's Playstyle

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
He's been one of my favorite players for a while, and I was wondering what other people thought about his playing style.

I consider him a very controlled attacker, with a well-rounded skillset. I generally find him playing the high-probability shot rather than going for crazy angles or overpowering the opponent. He does however takes calculated risks to keep his opponents uncomfortable. In that regard, I'd say Gauzy got outmaneuvered recently by Samsonov who used similar tactics to beat him.

Gauzy generally seems like a player that relies a lot on timely placement and shot variety to win. It's a joy to watch him play.

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Interesting topic and I would agree that Simon relies on the ball placement and creative play i very much like his style ... but ...
No playing style of the European players convinces me unless they are able to challenge the Chinese players. Simon didn't pose any thread to them yet ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
He doesn't challenge the Chinese, no. But his playstyle is fun to watch regardless. I'd say Top 20 is quite good and there's a lot for players to learn.

On that note, what would you say then he needs to make up to challenge the Chinese? In my opinion, that would be committing more to his FH shots rather than going for the safer, spinnier loop, and faster recovery.

Regarding his recovery time, for someone so balanced, he seems to wilt on his wide FH. Can be made very uncomfortable there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Just checked and Simon is actually 16th now in the rankings. Basically best European player besides Timo, Dima and Vladi. This speaks for itself.

Don't get me wrong, I really think to be able to play this kind of game on such a level takes a lot of mastery. He usually starts delicate with precise shot and than tries to gain a better position during the rally or outmaneuver the opponent. The game has lots of creativity (incredible shots sometimes) and adaptability. I very much resemble with that.

Yes I think you are right with the fh, but the key is his bh play. This is Simon's main weapon in my opinion. But he uses it, mainly to redirect the ball during the openings and gain the advantage by surprise ball placement or awkward spin. I'm just an amateur player so I have a limited knowledge ... but if he was able to create more power exchanges say bh to bh, and then go for the fh. The main idea would be to keep his rich repertoire and throw some elements of power play into the mix. Just to keep those power oriented players at bay when he needs to ...

Last edited: