Boycott effects: ML, XX and FZD get suspended?

The german website mytischtennis.de released an interview with a chinese Expert. The expert mentioned that the management of CNT could possibly suspend the 3 Superstars from the National Team. They won't play any events and would get out of the training structure. They will only be opponents for the younger chinese generation to get them better!

That would be drastic! Imagine: The 3 best players in the world, and also ML as maybe one of the greatest, just get pulled out of World Events :eek:

Here the Link from the interview:

https://www.mytischtennis.de/public...bdquo-vermutlich-karriereende-von-ma-xu-ldquo

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
This is still nothing else than speculation.
We have to wait until CTTA announces something or till september.The next platinum event will be the Austrian open, which normally shouldn't be missed by CNT. There will be Bulgaria and Czech Open in august, but these are just Challenge series events, they CNT might be away from those.

If ML, FZD and XX will be suspended, ZJK will be again the leader of CNT. :)

I hope chinese goverment won't let them be suspended. In 1975 Tibor Klampár was banned from the Calcutta World Championships, though he would have a big chance to win it. Hungary then was the part of Communist Bloc, so the goverment's response might be similar.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
So what ... they come to play for Slovakia Czech or Germany or what ever country they want to ...

The Chinese government is the expert in locking people inside China. They can harass their family and friends if they managed to leave.

But political refugees had done it in the past. They probably could.

Imagine if all three managed to escape to the USA, gain Olympic gold medals for the USA. Table tennis could be a lot more popular just because USA produce TT gold medalists.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
The german website mytischtennis.de released an interview with a chinese Expert. The expert mentioned that the management of CNT could possibly suspend the 3 Superstars from the National Team. They won't play any events and would get out of the training structure. They will only be opponents for the younger chinese generation to get them better!

That would be drastic! Imagine: The 3 best players in the world, and also ML as maybe one of the greatest, just get pulled out of World Events :eek:

Here the Link from the interview:

https://www.mytischtennis.de/public...bdquo-vermutlich-karriereende-von-ma-xu-ldquo

Have you actually read the comments underneath the article? Maybe even a bit more interesting than the article itself!
Their (so-called) expert got called out for delivering nothing else but speculations.I don´t want to be belittleling his expertise but asking someone for his opinion who is still in China and of course he´s very dependant on the good chinese Relationship since he´s working for the German centres in Shanghai, so it´s quite unlikely to hear something critical towards the GSA or the involved politics behind this incident there.
And surprise, surprise at the end of the interview he even states that he doesn´t want to speculate about the reasons behind this.
Samewise you could go and ask Stephen Bannon about Donald Trump´s relations to the klansmen or o russia!
It´s pointless!
One commenter even wrote that the so called free west system in Germany ain´t even a tiny bit better than the chinese, and has brought up the exsample what happened to Thomas Keinath, as he got kicked out of the german Team, and that the german TT association has kept this undercover as well.

And even mytischtennis.de got called out for reporting that Thomas left the team on his own. And the reason for that they wrote was that Thomas wanted to play olympics, ´cause playin for Germany wasn´t possible, ´cause his ranking wasn´t high enough!!
Such a sore excuse!!

Not very nice what happened between Schimmelpfennig and our Thomas Keinath!

For those interested in Thomas´case, here´s a link to the german Forum tt-news.de that has been covering this story.
http://forum.tt-news.de/showthread.php?t=59839
Even the in Germany well known TT-Reporter and TV Commenter René Adler wrote about this for the DPA (german press association) back in the days when that incident happened.

BTW: mytischtennis.de could have interviewed someone else who also had some issues with the chinese association but isn´t depending on them too much. Maybe Li Ping, i don´t know. But there are also a few more that could fit this describtion. But interviewing Christian Sommer was totally pointless IMHO!

This is exactly what one would expect from a totalitary System like China but not so much from Germany! Maybe this also explains ITTF´s reaction about this incident!

I think this is also quite essential and important to know!!

Last edited:
Reactions: PolishTT17
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Thomas Keinath! Was playing a short underneath Slovakia representation...... I think. But what's happen then I'm not sure.

Really? I thought this was well known.
Anyhow...
Well Thomas got kicked out of the German Team. The reasons weren´t really officially outspoken, but rumors say that he´s celebrated (alcohol influenced) a little too much for Schimmelpfennig´s likings and first received a warning and then got kicked out officially. On the search finding a new nationality that would make it possible to play for another national team he got offered the slowakian nationality to be able to play for their team.

From what i hear he´s going to play at the deaflympics for Slowakia.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10212849933544087&id=1261591135&fs=4
19667659_1397037107050393_2499635559321434699_o.jpg

He also has a slowakian wife!

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpuls
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I think if you look at raineverever's other thread on this, you would conclude that it is unlikely they will be suspended completely for more than a couple of months, although it is going to cost them in other ways. We will see soon enough. I am curious what makes the guy on the German website a Chinese 'expert'.

So yes, it COULD happen in principle. But at the same time I think it is extremely unlikely that it WILL happen. The guy running the GSA has reached high levels in his job and now seems to be getting progressively demoted, and I don't think things are this crazy in China.

LGL and KLH, though, are about 99.99% toast professionally speaking.

Last edited:
Reactions: sanavasaraja
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
So how it ended with this boycott?

There's a lot of speculation out there, and just that. Rainnever had some insights to share, apparently he to lives in the CNT's broomcloset (or something); but it's been a while since I've read a convincing update.

I find it a bit disturbing that most of the talk is about the top-three players, but barely a mention is made of the affected coaches. Yet I find myself wondering about the fates of Liu Guoliang, Ma Lin, Qin Zhijian, Kong Linghui…

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
There's a lot of speculation out there, and just that. Rainnever had some insights to share, apparently he to lives in the CNT's broomcloset (or something); but it's been a while since I've read a convincing update.

I find it a bit disturbing that most of the talk is about the top-three players, but barely a mention is made of the affected coaches. Yet I find myself wondering about the fates of Liu Guoliang, Ma Lin, Qin Zhijian, Kong Linghui…

So far nothing "bad" happened to them. Liu Guoliang spent 40 says with his family in the United States as his elder daughter was playing kid golf tour. This is quite normal in the year of China National Games as he never went back to Team PLA or went to any provincial team to help with the prep. For Ma Lin, he showed up in an endorsement event only a few days after the boycott, then went back to Guangdong to train Liu Shiwen and Lin Gaoyuan. Qin Zhijian stayed in Beijing and showed up when ML was training at the National Training Center. As for the three players, they got training, attended social events and updated their Weibo. Everything seems back to normal. Then the question is: what do you expect? Do you want them to be punished and banned?
There is no news of KLH. But his case has nothing to do with the boycott. He is not seen after WTTC.

This user has no status.
As I suspected nothing really was going to happen. Just a little drama blown out of proportion with a lot of wild speculations thrown around. I thought it was rather stupid of them to react so emotionally, but at the same time you don't bench your star players when they act like little kids, not when you huge titles and egos riding on the line.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I think its totally fine the way they reacted ... the change was too sudden , not planned properly and definitely not communicated properly .... as to whether how you should treat players when they act like little kids its not a simple question it depends on each individual .... anyways waiting for the final decision , I don't think we will know that till the next international tournament so there is no point in speculating till then ...
As I suspected nothing really was going to happen. Just a little drama blown out of proportion with a lot of wild speculations thrown around. I thought it was rather stupid of them to react so emotionally, but at the same time you don't bench your star players when they act like little kids, not when you huge titles and egos riding on the line.