Multi-balls training with 1 Star ball or 3 Stars?

This user has no status.
Hi, I want to know your opinion about which ball used at training is more effectively and why.

url.jpg

Attachments

• 1.0x0.jpg
    1.0x0.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 342
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
well ofc 3* is better, all pros do it and it's just the same as what you will use in a game. if it's just for general technique training and you are not playing on a really high level, it won't make much of a difference except that the balls are cheaper. but also be reminded that the 3* might be more durable.

tldr: if money does not matter that much, just go for the 3*, the DHS D40+ are super cheap anyway

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi, I want to know your opinion about which ball used at training is more effectively and why.

View attachment 13757

I think you have used photos of 2 old DHS celluloid 40mm balls. Not the new 40+ Poly balls. I could be wrong. But I think those are not the current ball.

If that is what you are thinking of using, it is fine. But it will take an adjustment to go from the training balls to an actual 40+ Poly ball. So you may be better off getting the DHS D40+ 3 Star Poly ball. The price is fairly reasonable, the durability is supposed to be excellent. And it is the ball that the pros will use in most competitions for the rest of this year.

Here are photos of the D40+ ball. See if you can see the labeling differences:

a6dcc11cb24e083976eb7ed1ff318634.jpg

c459aa0d5a9b990590e4d6b044deacfb.jpg

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
For multi-ball I don't think it makes a huge amount of difference. You can get some decent training balls which are much cheaper than 3 star balls, but you won't tell that much difference in quality when doing multi-ball.

Personally, I go for cheaper training balls when I do multi-ball for players I coach. This is mainly for cost. A lot of balls get broken, not so much through hitting, but by being trodden on by accident. So I keep costs down by using training balls.

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Actually the CNT had to use 2 star ball because 3 stars were too expensive. It sounds ridiculous that the best team in the world doesn't have enough money for balls, but it's true.
The 3 star balls has the advantage that they can be used as match balls or normal training balls as well, while usually the 1 star balls are terribly deformed. DHS D40+ *** is quite cheap.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Actually the CNT had to use 2 star ball because 3 stars were too expensive. It sounds ridiculous that the best team in the world doesn't have enough money for balls, but it's true.
The 3 star balls has the advantage that they can be used as match balls or normal training balls as well, while usually the 1 star balls are terribly deformed. DHS D40+ *** is quite cheap.

where did you get that info regarding the 2* balls?

Someone posted an image about the CNT training hall and in the ball holder were 2 star balls.

raineverever posted this

I think you may have misunderstood RainRiver's post.

Read what he said. Read it again.

All the World Tour events for the rest of the year will use the DHS D40+ ball. But the WTTC used the Nittaku Premium.

The Nittaku Premium is much more expensive than the D40+ or any other ball for that matter.

Only 5 men played in the WTTC singles. And 5 women.

Why should CNT players not playing in WTTC play with the ball that was used for WTTC and nothing else?

Now read his post again.

Now perhaps the CNT is still using DHS 2 star balls. But the post was about training in the lead up to the WTTC and the fact that the Nittaku balls are quite expensive.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
CNT is sponsored by DHS. I am sure they will use whatever balls DHS gives them. But when there are players training for a specific tournament, those players in the tournament will train with whatever ball will be used in the tournament. The CNT are not fools.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
CNT does use 2 star balls for multiball training.
They use 3 star balls for other training

When we talk balls, we are talking 1000+ multiballs per table

Okay, come back to real life.
1 star is good enough for mutliball
2 star is better
3 star is pointless, even if you have the money, rather buy 3 x the amount in 1 star.
More balls will benefit you than oppose to better ball in multiball training

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

All the World Tour events for the rest of the year will use the DHS D40+ ball. But the WTTC used the Nittaku Premium.

The Nittaku Premium is much more expensive than the D40+ or any other ball for that matter.

Why should CNT players not playing in WTTC play with the ball that was used for WTTC and nothing else?

Now read his post again.

Now perhaps the CNT is still using DHS 2 star balls. But the post was about training in the lead up to the WTTC and the fact that the Nittaku balls are quite expensive.

Somehow I recall somewhere there was a shortage of nittaku, and also the other players were focus on China and Japan open (and Austrlian) which 3 are all platinum events.
so non wttc players where still training with DHS

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews

Now read his post again.

Seems I missed that the 3* was Nittaku, not DHS. I thought that they use the 2* balls for normal training too (where ball quality matters more), but Tony pointed out that it's only for multiball.

Balls are a problem here too, because the youth tournaments are played with Joola Flash, which is expensive too and there isn't a ball which is similar to it and cheaper and doesn't breaks from normal training. So we have to use the Flash as a training ball (not for multiball, there are some cheaper ball for that). I plan to advise the D40+ to the coach, because it's said to be similar to the seamless balls (like the Flash) and it's half the price. Unfortunately no one has it in Hungary, so we have to order it from china just to try out.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
CNT does use 2 star balls for multiball training.
They use 3 star balls for other training

When we talk balls, we are talking 1000+ multiballs per table

Okay, come back to real life.
1 star is good enough for mutliball
2 star is better
3 star is pointless, even if you have the money, rather buy 3 x the amount in 1 star.
More balls will benefit you than oppose to better ball in multiball training

That is the good info right there.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
In my view, every 1* ball is so bad you shouldn't even use them for multiball (certainly this applies for seamless and for the DHS ABS balls). Nittaku J Top is the one exception but they are not cheap.

The DHS D40+ 3* is so cheap and durable that you can buy a bunch and use them for every purpose from multiball to serious match play. I think there is no other answer to this. They are round, play well and last forever.

I wouldn't even use 3* cellulose acetate balls for multiball plus they aren't cheap.

Besides price and quality, moving into the future, a lot of the balls you see are going to rebranded versions of the D40+ anyway, or something similar enough. That's another reason to train with them.

One last thing to the OP, since you posted a picture of an earlier DHS 40+ ball, which is not the one I am talking about. Make sure to bear in mind that the DHS balls I am talking about were released in April and they have a picture of Ding Ning on the box, not Ma Long. They are made of a different plastic. I am adding that just to be thorough because I don't want to mislead anyone. The last bunch I got was 72 balls for 40 USD.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Personally, I use 2 stars for multiball training
But that is because I buy them at cost :)

In most advance training places (with top juniors in the world), they also use 2 star

on Baal comment though

As there is many gen of 40+ balls
the newer ones is the best (for 1, 2 and 3 star)
I saw old 1 star balls in SA and those are egg shape.

So I think one should request the time stamp on the box to ensure you buy a late 2016 to 2017 production balls
All 40+ will have production date on the box

Last edited:
Reactions: ajtatosmano2
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
I use XSF premium training and JOOLA Flip balls for multi ball training