given that low throw makes it easier to
-serve
-push
-chop
-block
-hit flat

and that high throw makes it easier to
-loop

shall we conclude that low throw is best for amateur players?

Reactions: BeGo
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Wang Liqin was a famous low level amateur who liked low throw rubbers to make his FH loop more lethal.

I really guess it is just personal taste though. And whatever equipment you develop your technique around.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

I think it depends on the technique of the player. Some players are just more used to the high throw, and it is not easy to replace it with low throw. Similarly players who are used to, or have based their game on low throw rubbers find it hard to play with the high throw rubbers.
One thing i would add here is that in order to use low throw rubbers well, you better have pretty good technique and stamina. Playing 4 to 5 matches per session could get tricky on low throw rubbers, it takes a lot out of your body to get that sting on your shots. With high throw it is that much more easier.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
I agree with Jaffer. There is no right or wrong, it depends on the style of the player.

Personally, I find higher throw much easier to play with. But that is because I have played with high throw for such a long time. All of my strokes are adapted to high throw, so it really is no problem to push, block, hit, spin, serve low etc.

When I experiment with low throw every now and again, my game is terrible. Blocks go into the net. Topspins go into the net. You have to work harder to play the same strokes.

This doesn’t mean low throw is bad. It’s just that my strokes aren’t adapted to low throw. If I wanted to play with low throw, I’d need to change my technique.

So high throw or low throw is absolutely fine. You can push, block, serve, hit, topspins with both. You just have to adapt your technique depending on what you’re using.

Reactions: Jaffar Lone
This user has no status.
given that low throw makes it easier to
-serve
-push
-chop
-block
-hit flat

and that high throw makes it easier to
-loop

shall we conclude that low throw is best for amateur players?
Remember that throw is a spectrum, a range, mainly because of sponge hardness, and somewhat a product of dwell time.

Some rubber have so hard sponge that no much difference in throw whether from slow or fast ball. Hurricane come to mind. It always mid to high throw.

Some rubber have ridiculously high throw on slow ball, but really low throw on fast ball. Tackiness Chop belong to this category. Chopper love these. [emoji6]

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Players like timo boll, freitas, apolonia have a continuous looping style.
If you play like that t05 is great.

But if your playing style is closer to UpSideDownCarl, SugaD, Baal, NextLevel....
then you probably will get better habits and be more efficient with something like t25.

And T25 has the highest throw of all the Tenergies. Paradoxical, isn't it?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
https://thoughtsontabletennis.wordpress.com/2015/09/07/throw-angle/

"We close the gap for very high forces by introducing the Tenergy 25. This rubber has really massive wide pips which are close to each other. Thus the force applied from the topsheet can be distributed among a great pip surface and can be handled even for very high forces. Additionally they almost never fail to realign themself after being compressed because they are so massive.

Another question might appear at this moment: Why professional players even bother with playing the T64 and T05 and don’t simply to move to T25 since it handles high forces better?

You might have read it a thousand times here already, but again, nothing in life is free. The ability to handle high amounts of spin on the T25 comes at a price. The price is the fact, that you need a very high energy to compress the pimples and the sponge. If you try to make a thin brush loop against a slow ball, you won’t get any upward force. The sponge won’t get compressed because the low incoming force is distributed among the massive pimples and the pimples won’t bend. Hence intermediate players might say the T25 is a low throw rubber, because for them, on most of their ‘weak’ strokes it doesn’t create any arc. However, on power strokes, the arc is higher than the arc of the Tenergy 05 and T64 as correctly shown in the Butterfly video at the beginning."

"The Tenergy 05 gets a higher throw angle in general, although the T25 produces a higher throw on high energy balls, but fails to produce higher arcs on lower energy balls."

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Close to the table? Jun Mizutani! Xu Xin! Never farther than 30 centimeters! [emoji2]

Hahaha. You are pretty funny. And there is a way in which low throw angle rubbers work well from far away.

But some points based on other things said:

1) given enough time, a player with good fundamentals can adapt his technique from low to high throw rubbers or from high to low three rubbers. It really is not much to adapt.
2) if throw was mainly a function of sponge hardness, why are Calibra LT, Calibra LT Spin and Calibra LT Sound all such low throw rubbers? Those are three very different sponge hardnesses. And LT is about the same hardness as T05 and one is high throw and one is low throw.

There are grippy rubbers that are lower throw and higher throw and not as grippy rubbers that are one or the other two. So I am going to assume that the throw of the rubber is based on some combination of topsheet and sponge.

Reactions: BeGo
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
I agree with Carl. Playing with low throw or high throw rubber for that matter is more a technique and adaptation issue.
Players adapt by changing their racket angle (more open with low throw and more closed with high throw) whereas always meeting the ball at the highest point or earlier. The problem of ball going on the net usually happens when you are late to the ball and are leaving it too much down before striking it.

For non-professional players who are mostly developing their strokes, higher throw rubber gives a little more margin for error thereby making it easy to put the ball back on the table even though you are late to the ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Players like timo boll, freitas, apolonia have a continuous looping style.
If you play like that t05 is great.

But if your playing style is closer to UpSideDownCarl, SugaD, Baal, NextLevel....
then you probably will get better habits and be more efficient with something like t25.

Sebas, this maybe would have been funny 20 years ago.
I would expect such childish nonsense maybe from a 15 year old teenager but not from 35 year old grown man. Get a life, dude!
Don'tcha ever get tired of this bullcrap?

Reactions: Baal
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I agree with Carl. Playing with low throw or high throw rubber for that matter is more a technique and adaptation issue.
Players adapt by changing their racket angle (more open with low throw and more closed with high throw) whereas always meeting the ball at the highest point or earlier. The problem of ball going on the net usually happens when you are late to the ball and are leaving it too much down before striking it.

For non-professional players who are mostly developing their strokes, higher throw rubber gives a little more margin for error thereby making it easy to put the ball back on the table even though you are late to the ball.
And Timo Boll and other pros use Tenergy 05 because this idea that high throw rubbers make certain kinds of loops easier is somehow untrue for professional players as well? Come on, buddy.

The funny thing is if you watch the Buttefly video, they argue that the higher throw rubbers make it easier to push with low trajectories.

Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
And Timo Boll and other pros use Tenergy 05 because this idea that high throw rubbers make certain kinds of loops easier is somehow untrue for professional players as well? Come on, buddy.

The funny thing is if you watch the Buttefly video, they argue that the higher throw rubbers make it easier to push with low trajectories.

Just wondering, if it is easier to push with low trajectories with high throw rubber then what will be the trajectory of the push when made with low throw rubber?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Just wondering, if it is easier to push with low trajectories with high throw rubber then what will be the trajectory of the push when made with low throw rubber?

Let's think about theory here:

On a "high throw" rubber, when you swing up with a topspin stroke and the racket closed, the ball will go UP MORE than it would with a lower throw rubber. Is that right?

If that is the case, what would happen if you turned that UpSideDown?

If you swing down with the racket open (facing up) will the ball go lower or higher?

Think about it for a moment. If it goes higher than with other rubbers when you swing up, then it should go lower than other rubbers when you swing down.

Now, stop being silly and realize that we have all been pulled in by silly trolling techniques.

A good player will adjust their technique so that the ball is the correct height regardless of which rubber you are using. It would just take a small amount of training with the new equipment.

And then what NextLevel said applies, knowing your game well enough to know what will work for you is very worthwhile.

But we should realize we've been fished.

><)))°>

Last edited: