Attacking against long pimples

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Xylit, you are fine. English speaking tt crowd uses both terms. However, German speakers in live English often call it DOWN spin, which is something English speakers understand, but do not say in spoken tt language. W. Schlager is saying it in his vids. Well, if WS says it, then it should be added to the TT English, no?

Chinese call it down spin also.

Yogi, sometimes I wonder if you are joking around or if you just are not paying attention. That is the video the OP posted in the OP.

hahahahaha. That is too funny. :)

I did not see his link LOL.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
got a simpler video. this is between pushblocker and schlager playing in a garage. you can learn lots of things from what schlager is doing but the principle is still the same. he brushes the ball and he does a simple no spin or underspin serve then he waits for the ball and just spins it. Yes he is a world champ but what he is doing in the video is very simplified and toned down that even low level players can learn from it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
I'm starting to get the idea how to manage those players. Still need practice in playing against them. I don't understand this US ranking points? Is it possible to tell if for example you are 500 US rating player or 1000, 1300, 1500, 1800 or 2000 without being in the rating? Only by telling what skills you should have to be that rated? Maybe this should be a new thread.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
You must play tournament to be rated correctly. Some folks I talk to say:" I guess I beat Mr. X who is rated 1900 so I must be 2000 or more." This is quite wrong. You must play with different styles, with some wins/losses then your rating thus is correctly granted. By the way you ask I am guessing you are probably around 1400 to 1500 level in US.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
It is addressed to the level of player who is asking about the problem. You are asking why everyone doesn't do it which is a different question with a different answer.

The Question, what is a good strategy to beat long pips players, didn't specify the level of players. I don't the video was sound advice, especially with his demonstration.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The Question, what is a good strategy to beat long pips players, didn't specify the level of players. I don't the video was sound advice, especially with his demonstration.

Not sure what your point is. You didn't even write a coherent post. Then you come back to a post 2 years later to do what? Advanced players don't ask such questions, stop acting like they do. They have enough experience to know what they prefer to do even as long as they have practiced against pips.

The video is good for beginning players. Advanced players will adopt a variety of strategies. Strategic advice is only as good as the technical ability of the player to implement it. Same way the video is good for someone playing at a basic level but advanced players will tend to attack sitting balls with higher quality so you may be more reluctant to push to them or give them light topspin. The devil in TT is often in details. The video is good for a beginner but an advanced player will often tailor his understanding of spin and his strengths to devise a more specific and opponent appropriate strategy.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Not sure what your point is. You didn't even write a coherent post. Then you come back to a post 2 years later to do what? Advanced players don't ask such questions, stop acting like they do. They have enough experience to know what they prefer to do even as long as they have practiced against pips.

The video is good for beginning players. Advanced players will adopt a variety of strategies. Strategic advice is only as good as the technical ability of the player to implement it. Same way the video is good for someone playing at a basic level but advanced players will tend to attack sitting balls with higher quality so you may be more reluctant to push to them or give them light topspin. The devil in TT is often in details. The video is good for a beginner but an advanced player will often tailor his understanding of spin and his strengths to devise a more specific and opponent appropriate strategy.

FYI your post was not 2 years ago, dated 7/17/17, less than a year, the thread is still active. We have a difference of opinion.