Attacking against long pimples

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Additionally to the things that were already posted I find it very effective to play with heavy underspin into the pips side. There are a lot of long pips players, even above USATT >2000, that have extreme difficulties dealing with heavy underspin. Against long pips players I make half of the points by attacking and the other half of the points by simply chopping everything back with huge amounts of backspin into his pips. Using a lot of wrist action hides a good amount of spin, therefore a lot of my opponent's balls land in the net. Chopping a no-spin or even light topspin ball above the table is not easy though and definitely advanced stuff. Another thing that makes this effective against a lot of defenders could be that they simply are not used to this.

From the short time I played with LP, I always found difficult to return backspin doing push. It is way easier to push with inverted rubbers than with LP, at least for me.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yes I meant backspin. "Underspin" coming from the German "Unterschnitt", sorry about that :p

Underspin and backspin are both fine terms. They both work in English.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
From the short time I played with LP, I always found difficult to return backspin doing push. It is way easier to push with inverted rubbers than with LP, at least for me.

For a good long pips player, any type of spin generated from inverted rubber, is their friend.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Additionally to the things that were already posted I find it very effective to play with heavy underspin into the pips side. There are a lot of long pips players, even above USATT >2000, that have extreme difficulties dealing with heavy underspin. Against long pips players I make half of the points by attacking and the other half of the points by simply chopping everything back with huge amounts of backspin into his pips. Using a lot of wrist action hides a good amount of spin, therefore a lot of my opponent's balls land in the net. Chopping a no-spin or even light topspin ball above the table is not easy though and definitely advanced stuff. Another thing that makes this effective against a lot of defenders could be that they simply are not used to this.

Using long pips, I don't have problem with heavy inverted backspin.

says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
The problem is nowadays a lot of Pimple players do not push or chop back, they return the ball on the table, just like a quick push or just lift the ball up very fast, and if you push or chop they will atack, and I don,t know what spin they make when they block. When I serve or when I push they lift the ball up a little , just like a little block.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
The problem is nowadays a lot of Pimple players do not push or chop back, they return the ball on the table, just like a quick push or just lift the ball up very fast, and if you push or chop they will atack, and I don,t know what spin they make when they block. When I serve or when I push they lift the ball up a little , just like a little block.

Most of the time, the ball just floats. Just loop it well, brush the top of the ball and you will do fine.

Or let push the ball to his forehand and let him loop. You know what you should do next, counterloop to their forehand. That is if you are confident with your counterlooping skill.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Yes I meant backspin. "Underspin" coming from the German "Unterschnitt", sorry about that :p

Xylit, you are fine. English speaking tt crowd uses both terms. However, German speakers in live English often call it DOWN spin, which is something English speakers understand, but do not say in spoken tt language. W. Schlager is saying it in his vids. Well, if WS says it, then it should be added to the TT English, no?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
I play long pips with sponge and no sponge. I am not afraid of heavy backspin. With LP+sponge I can attack heavy spin very easy. With OX I side swipe it. Keep in mind regardless of what spin LP can return it doesn't have much spin, except LP chopping which makes the ball comes back extremely heavy. So if you have a good BH or FH technique you can attack with looping rather easily. I find I beat 1900 level and below rather easy as they do not have consistent 2 wing looping. But 2100+ I got killed! Between 1900-2100 more wins versus <2000, and more loss with >2000.
You have to develop good BH/FH attack/defense either by looping/smashing/blocking/pushing/chopping/etc and serve/service return. Footwork is extremely important. It means you must improve your level in general then you will be able to deal with many different styles not just long pips alone.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
tropical needs to come to next San Jose Mission...

Sure one day I may drop by Swan but Swan is not my favorite place as tables are limited. I will need to beat all you guys before I get too old to boast .. ha ha..

Der, sounds like you should just arrange a meetup and let tropical choose the location. This way, if he bags out, we all know he is ducking you. [emoji2]

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
this is a good video

Yogi, sometimes I wonder if you are joking around or if you just are not paying attention. That is the video the OP posted in the OP.

hahahahaha. That is too funny. :)

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Video has simple strategy for winning. Why doesn't everyone use it ?

One reason, is, if you give a decent pips player backspin, you give them a free attack. When you give LP backspin, they easily attack it if they are a decent pips player. They don't have to if you show that you continually mess up on the float balls. But they can. And the attacks are weird.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
One reason, is, if you give a decent pips player backspin, you give them a free attack. When you give LP backspin, they easily attack it if they are a decent pips player. They don't have to if you show that you continually mess up on the float balls. But they can. And the attacks are weird.

Dumb Coaching video ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2012
Does anyone know, is Ruwen Filus still playing with the same equipment ? (Racket Joo Se Hyuk, FH Rubber Tenergy 05, BH Rubber Feint Long III)