Butterfly Michael Maze ALC vs Hurricane Long V

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thanks to Giangt , NextLevel , UpSideDownCarl and others for all your suggestions in helping putting this together ...

Finished assembling the paddle , will try it out tonight and give it to Sandy ... here are the pictures ...

IMG_1946.jpgIMG_1947.jpgIMG_1948.jpgIMG_1949.jpgIMG_1950.jpgIMG_1953.jpgIMG_1954.jpg

From the little testing I did with a ball , it seemed pretty powerful and spinny , fingers crossed ...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I think I got you ... so Michael Maze is an older product line in Butterfly .. there are a few websites that still have stock and still carry it .. you might have to search a little bit or may be @Giangt can help you on where to get it from in Europe ...
One my friend is lookin for Butterfly Michael Maze ALC old blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
I think I got you ... so Michael Maze is an older product line in Butterfly .. there are a few websites that still have stock and still carry it .. you might have to search a little bit or may be @Giangt can help you on where to get it from in Europe ...

Oh, thank you, I will write him.
I tryed to look for it but found just already sold items, nothing that would help me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
There was one sold fairly recently in this forum ... may be you can start a thread asking for a resale .. new would be hard to get ... I figure butterfly has discontinued ALC blades with Limba outer ply .. the ones with Limba outerply is Maze performance and Petr Korbel .. I haven't played with either ... may be some of the more knowledgeable folks can comment ...

EDIT : Innerforce ALC is still available it has Limba outer cores and Ayous core ... found a post from Carl on that Innerforce ALC vs Viscaria thread

Oh, thank you, I will write him.
I tryed to look for it but found just already sold items, nothing that would help me.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Thanks NextLevel , I have been trying to convince her to use a slower blade and stay closer to the table ... I will pass on your comments .. what I have noticed with her technique is that when she is away from the table and the ball falls down she can spin it up ... but when she is close to the table the forearm whip and grabbing the ball is missing from her arsenal ... she ends up with less spin ...

The Bold and underlined text from your quote is what I think an effective distance for her to play. Yes, close to table and SLOWER blade.

Monster, I will give her a fresh cappuccino next Saturday and help convince her of this.

To further confuse things, last Thurday, I had left my KJH at the club and did Ur CLC league using the OFF+ Nexy Hannibal Carbon hinoke. It had plenty of touch for me, as well as good feel on my flicks. My power shots were powerful enough.

I think she needs slower wood blade, so she can hit harder at the table. Faster blades are really much more difficult to do this task. A slower blade/rubber combo with spin potential and feel is much more important. I know Tenergy or pumped up Hurricanes are the desire of all, but a linear rubber will help her out in the long run. She will adapt. Karis is very stable for block and topspin, both handling the incoming and giving the topspin.

I would say any of the blades I mentioned above with M+ on FH and whatever control rubber she likes on BH.

Why? You can hit harder and still land it. You are so close to opponent you really don't need to cream it, just get enough on it and place it well. An ALL+ or slower OFF- blade allows one to hit harder close to the table.

You have seen how hard I can hit a fh with the ALL to ALL+ LISSOM with M+, you know its potential for power is there if you get the legs and hips into it.

I have seen her hit, she can hit, she doesn't need an OFF or OFF+ powerhouse blade, she has enough power already. You don't wanna piss her off and give her a free punch at you, she would likely KO you in one shot. She has legs and hips aplenty to generate power.

LISSOM
Allround Evolution
Carl's OSP blade
KJH

Any of those three will allow a close to the table counter hitting and topspin offence...

You know what is better? The TOUCH on receive and MIDDLE shots - those connecting shots in a rally that setup offense.

If she wants to be a spin looper, she will need a blade/rubber combo with touch and spin potential.

Reactions: ttmonster
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I see she got a blade and rubbers.

I would say if her technique is developed enough, she can adapt.

If this is a faster blade, it will be place more importance on position, leverage, decision/aggression, being loose, and control of hand pressure at impact.

If she develops these using this blade/rubber combo, then great. It is possible if she improves in those areas... and she can.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Yes Carl, all of these are true ... also she has this habit of keeping on increasing the power till the blocker misses and I told her that she needs to focus on consistency and the objective of drills is to get a handle on spin and placement with 60-70% power and not to go through the blocker ... and as NextLevel pointed out she does have problems with blocking , in fact she has a habit of falling back to chop blocks on the forehand the moment she is concerned about the incoming spin instead of trying to loosening the grip and taking it off the bounce ...

You know the issue, I will help emphasize this Saturday. Blocking is easy, just get to the spot, get the bat out there, hold it real loose, and take it off the bounce. That is the base block. The aggression begins with firmer pressure and then a little push through with sudden firming.

It can be said aggressive shots or at least shots that are more aggressive than a play might normally play, are evolutions of the block shot.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Yes Carl, all of these are true ... also she has this habit of keeping on increasing the power till the blocker misses and I told her that she needs to focus on consistency and the objective of drills is to get a handle on spin and placement with 60-70% power and not to go through the blocker ... and as NextLevel pointed out she does have problems with blocking , in fact she has a habit of falling back to chop blocks on the forehand the moment she is concerned about the incoming spin instead of trying to loosening the grip and taking it off the bounce ...

Well, soft hands is not as critical as proper hitting or blocking technique but both can go together especially if the player holds the bat too tightly in general (I like to believe that my hands are always soft). So yes, try to replace the stuff she currently does with proper blocking technique. But I will stress again that proper blocking is not about soft hands. I know people with soft hands and very consistent blocks who have bad blocking technique. They block with topspin so their balls are always arcing so even though they don't miss, you can have trouble looping their blocks consistently unless you adjust to their kick topspin. Blocking flat is an underrated skill. There is a young lady coach who has a new video series who has a decent video on the proper technique.

I would agree in principle. Blocking isn't always about soft hands, but... The basic block is soft hands off the bounce, and more aggressive blocks are variations that begin to use more grip pressure at impact... and also a small push through. Other aggressive variations let the ball rise some more before impact to give more safety with the faster block. Taking it off the block is quick and pressure. Later, one can learn how to BH it right off the bounce loose hand firming at impact with some wrist to make a quick mean counter topspin. So many ways to block and make it defense or offense.

Even away from the table, a block variation that has saved my bacon a lot when I am too late to swing at the ball while I chase it down it to get the bat out there and firm up right at impact, maybe even use a tiny wrist slap... this gives a fast return that is very surprising, there wasn't a swing, yet the ball is almost smoking.

Blocking is very under-practiced and mis-understood at many levels. It can be an offensive shot, it can be a shot to keep you in a rally and later get control, it can be a shot that lures opponent to try for an over-aggressive shot that is lower percentage. Sometimes it is a winner.

As much as I want to play big boy macho man TT, I lose more points when I am trying to play BONECRUHER TT every point.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Should just convince your friend to get Butterfly Freitas instead. Same as MM only slightly thicker, which presumably made to accommodate the new balls.

I have the feelingthat he doesnt want to buy it to play with it..
But not sure.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Not to hi-jack the thread... The MM ALC is kinda hard to find at retailer due to the fact the blade is discontinued. As mentioned before the Freitas ALC is what that comes closest to the MM ALC just a bit thicker. If your friend wants one you need find secondhand here or MyTT. Maybe other forums has it as well. Good luck finding one.