Butterfly Michael Maze ALC vs Hurricane Long V

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Hi All,

One of my friends has been playing with Garaydia ALC for sometime . We are trying to figure out if using Michael Maze / Hurricane Long V would help her game , in terms of holding the ball longer on the blade and imparting more spin.

Her game is not the standard close to the table game that most women prefer , she likes to loop on both wings from mid distance ... and primarily plays and attacking game, so she wants to have a little bit of carbon in the blade so that she can borrow power from the blade when she needs to counterloop with stronger people ...

The change is motivated towards helping her understand changes of grip pressure and develop ball feeling without losing her existing competitiveness ...

She likes Chinese rubbers on the forehand , either H8 or boosted H3 ... and regular rubbers on backhand ... .

If any of you have experience on this , please provide your opinion

Last edited:
Reactions: ajtatosmano2
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Garaydia having a cypress top ply should allow her to get really good spin even if the blade is pretty fast. Always worth trying different combinations though to see if one specifically works for the person.
I remember Dan mentioning outer is Japanese Hinoki in a review. I think it is worth for her trying one of your blades TTM to see if she likes inner or outer carbon blades. I remember you having both the ZJK blue Dragon and HL5 right?

Reactions: ttmonster
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I remember Dan mentioning outer is Japanese Hinoki in a review.

"What Are Hinoki Cypress Trees?

Plant taxonomy classifies Hinoki cypress as Chamaecyparis obtusa. 'Gracilis' is the name of the cultivar dealt with here, the common name for which is "Slender Hinoki cypress." The Slender cultivar is not a full dwarf Hinoki cypress (see below), but it is compact enough for most landscaping needs. Hinokis are actually a type of false cypress, as indicated by their genus name, Chamaecyparis."

You can keep reading if you want.

https://www.thespruce.com/hinoki-cypress-trees-2132062

But Hinoki is a type of Cypress. [emoji2]

So, Hinoki, Cypress, call it what you want. Sometimes Butterfly calls it one. Sometimes, the other.

The Schlager Carbon, the Primorac Carbon and the Gergely are very similar. And the Amultart was the ZL version. The first 3 are very much a family, kind of like the way the Viscaria, TB ALC and ZJK ALC are very close relatives. They are the same family of blades with slight differences.

I believe the Garaydia series was made to both modernize and combine what those blades did into one series.

So the Garaydia T5000 is quite similar to the first 3. The Garaydia ZLC is like the is like the Amultart. And then they added an ALC option.

But, hey, I could be wrong. Maybe Garaydia's Hinoki is somehow different from the Cypress plies of the blades I listed.

But whether Butterfly calls the top ply is Cypress or Hinoki, the playing characteristics of those woods are that they help you grab and spin the ball really well even though the wood is very fast.

That wood is soft with good dwell time, gives good spin and somehow is quite fast.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thank you so much Carl for the information and detailed breakdown.

Yes Giangt , I do have both the blades and I let her try both yesterday.

The catch is right now my ZJK Blue Dragon has Karis H and Karis M , where as the Long V has Boosted Hurricane 3 and Omega Pro IV .... so its not an apple to apple comparison ... and her current setup is a Garaydia with Hurricane 8 and FX- S ...

I remember Dan mentioning outer is Japanese Hinoki in a review. I think it is worth for her trying one of your blades TTM to see if she likes inner or outer carbon blades. I remember you having both the ZJK blue Dragon and HL5 right?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
You're right, Carl! I've just forgotten that they where the same... thank you for reminding me. Yeah depending on which type of Cypress/Hinoki wood Butterfly have used the Janka number can be similar to limba/koto wood.

The Garaydia ZLC I tested was very stiff, but due to the outer Hinoki I could 'grab' the ball more and create good amount of spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Thank you so much Carl for the information and detailed breakdown.

Yes Giangt , I do have both the blades and I let her try both yesterday.

The catch is right now my ZJK Blue Dragon has Karis H and Karis M , where as the Long V has Boosted Hurricane 3 and Omega Pro IV .... so its not an apple to apple comparison ... and her current setup is a Garaydia with Hurricane 8 and FX- S ...
What was her feedback on both setup she tried, of your blades?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thats how it feels for me too , the thing is she has good whip on her backhand loops but not enough on the forehand loops , especially close to the table , also has some challenges in adjusting the grip pressure when blocking spinny balls / pushing short consistently ... so looking for something which will help her in this regard ....
You're right, Carl! I've just forgotten that they where the same... thank you for reminding me. Yeah depending on which type of Cypress/Hinoki wood Butterfly have used the Janka number can be similar to limba/koto wood.

The Garaydia ZLC I tested was very stiff, but due to the outer Hinoki I could 'grab' the ball more and create good amount of spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
She liked ZJK with Karis H , but the spin on the backhand with Karis M was way more ...

she tried the Long V , it initially said that she felt like it was holding the ball a little too much .. but was able to adjust to it ...

What was her feedback on both setup she tried, of your blades?

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Thats how it feels for me too , the thing is she has good whip on her backhand loops but not enough on the forehand loops , especially close to the table , also has some challenges in adjusting the grip pressure when blocking spinny balls / pushing short consistently ... so looking for something which will help her in this regard ....

She liked ZJK with Karis H , but the spin on the backhand with Karis M was way more ...

she tried the Long V , it initially said that she felt like it was holding the ball a little too much .. but was able to adjust to it ...

From what you are saying I actually think a blade like Viscaria/ZJK would be what she is looking for. It would definitely help her FH side. In the blocking game these blades are very consistent and in the short game they are more controllable than the Garaydia ZLC I tried. If you are a gentleman you could maybe let her try your ZJK with her rubbers on to see if that is the shizzle?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
:D ... I am not a gentleman ... just kidding ... I would have let her try my ZJK with the rubbers , but only after I seal it ... WBG has shredded my ZJK ... may be time for me to get a Viscaria too :)
From what you are saying I actually think a blade like Viscaria/ZJK would be what she is looking for. It would definitely help her FH side. In the blocking game these blades are very consistent and in the short game they are more controllable than the Garaydia ZLC I tried. If you are a gentleman you could maybe let her try your ZJK with her rubbers on to see if that is the shizzle?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
okay, thanks Giang , she is using Garaydia ZLC not ALC ( my mistake ) ... will get here a Viscaria , and put Hurricane and Karis on it when Der_Echte heads down this way after his trip :) ....

Sounds good! Don't let D_E go beast mode on it before she has tried it. :D

:D ... I am not a gentleman ... just kidding ... I would have let her try my ZJK with the rubbers , but only after I seal it ... WBG has shredded my ZJK ... may be time for me to get a Viscaria too :)

Thanks a lot Giang !! really appreciate your help !
I know you are a gentleman, buddy! I just got one of those new ViS with green holographic sticker on the back of the handle. I heard from my club mates that it plays better than the older version they have tried... and no worries buddy! Glad I could help. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I missed responding to this , so I had her try my blades , and I have asked her to play with Viscaria too , one of the guys in the club has it ...
Garaydia having a cypress top ply should allow her to get really good spin even if the blade is pretty fast. Always worth trying different combinations though to see if one specifically works for the person.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
the only reason I was hesitating about Viscaria was because of the large sweet spot , sometimes it just makes people careless about whether they are consistently hitting the ball correctly because a little like Tenergy 05 , it pretty much makes you feel you hit a great shot regardless whether you hit the right spot on the paddle or not ... this is based on what I have felt the couple of times I hit with Viscaria and stuff I have read here / elsewhere too ... am I wrong ?

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
the only reason I was hesitating about Viscaria was because of the large sweet spot , sometimes it just makes people careless about whether they are consistently hitting the ball correctly because a little like Tenergy 05 , it pretty much makes you feel you hit a great shot regardless whether you hit the right spot on the paddle or not ... this is based on what I have felt the couple of times I hit with Viscaria and stuff I have read here / elsewhere too ... am I wrong ?
Excuse me, but the large sweet spot problem is always the case with carbon blade, no? I mean, MM is similar in build to Viscaria. The only difference with HL5 is the carbon placement, IIRC.
If the sweet spot is your worry then why don't you give her ITC Dynarc 5 or 7? The blades are awesome, cheap and all wood. Smaller sweet spot than carbon blades