Rubber for a beginner

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
It depends if you like euro, Chinese rubbers, Chinese obviously is cheaper than euro and very good, 729/ friendship, yinhe, Daewoo, lkt, etc.

Didn't you mean to say Dawei instead of Daewoo? :D

what are the cheap but reasonably good rubbers in the market for a beginner. not very cheap in a affordable price range
:eek: for a friend of mine.

I think Dawei 2008 XP rubbers are a popular choice for people that are looking for a cheap but good racket. Pair them with a Galaxy 896 blade and you'll have a nice beginners setup which is better than these more expensive premade bats.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It does really depend on the beginner.

There are lots of rubbers from China that are quite inexpensive and quite good.

Some are Chinese style rubbers. Some simulate the way a Euro/Japanese rubber plays and feels.

Then there are Euro/Japanese rubbers that are good for beginners as well.

Since there are differences in what people mean by beginner, what choices would be best depend on the specific person.

But if saving money is part of the issue, it is hard to go wrong with some of the Chinese rubber choices mentioned.

Air Illumina
Air Assassins
Gambler Aces
Gambler Outlaw
Dawei Inspirit
Dawei 2008XP
Yinhe Big Dipper
Commercial H3

The budget buster setup is definitely

Yinhe Galaxy 896 blade
Paired with
Dawei 2008XP

Is an incredibly inexpensive setup at about $32.00 and it plays quite well.

But stuff like Mark V on a Yasaka Sweden Extra or Nexy Karis M on a Nexy Lissom are a few notches better. They are just more expensive.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
But stuff like Mark V on a Yasaka Sweden Extra or Nexy Karis M on a Nexy Lissom are a few notches better. They are just more expensive.

That Nexy Karis M really must be something special if it's suitable for beginners and still interesting for advanced players like Nextlevel and Baal :).

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If a rubber isn't too fast and is not too reactive to incoming spin, but allows you to spin the ball if you have the technique and the effort, that rubber should be pretty decent for someone learning to spin.

I also often recommend Xiom Vega Pro for beginners. It really does depend on the particular beginner though.

A player who has a little talent but is a beginner is sometimes better off starting with a basic modern rubber rather than a classic rubber. And when you can start a player on one of those older generation tensor rubbers or a modern rubber that has good control, then there is less of a jump to get used to the newer tensor type rubbers.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
That Nexy Karis M really must be something special if it's suitable for beginners and still interesting for advanced players like Nextlevel and Baal :).

Jirex,

There isn't a rubber like Karis made... yet.

Karis handles incoming topspin SO WELL and is SO LINEAR and CONTROLLABLE. This suits allround attackers and developing players well.

Until Karis Came out, I couldn't use a Nexy rubber on FH. Now, it is my preferred rubber by far.

Advanced players who play this rubber a few months and try their old stuff realize how many shots they missed with a rubber that didn't listen to the player.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Jirex,

Karis handles incoming topspin SO WELL and is SO LINEAR and CONTROLLABLE. This suits allround attackers and developing players well.

Until Karis Came out, I couldn't use a Nexy rubber on FH. Now, it is my preferred rubber by far.

Advanced players who play this rubber a few months and try their old stuff realize how many shots they missed with a rubber that didn't listen to the player.
The issue with the karis, is pricey like tenergy and difficult to get it, so there are not under the category of cheaper. I tried to get it but no stock at this moment.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
$50 USD is a middle of the road price for a premium rubber.

Since you can get 2-4 times the playing life over other premium rubbers, it is really a bargain. I regularly get 300-500 hours of play out of Karis. Baal gets whatever he reports he gets, but I bet you lunch it is several hundreds of hours. Most rubbers are ready to be replaced after 100 hours or so.

Given that dynamic, you pay $10 - $20 USD for a hundred hours of prime usage. That is easily a bargain.

Baal comments to me that he likes Karis and is committed to buying it, but his "problem" is that Karis lasts so long for him he doesn't have to order it so often. FINE by me I say. Baal discovered good value and good performance.

Normally, NexyUSA.com will not sell outside North America (Our assigned market), but we can make a special exception if our CEO approves.

One sale will not make or break our outfit, even SugaD notices that I do not come close to aggressively marketing the business. I just want to see right done and put ourselves in a position to have a voice and influence/support the power of kids trying to get TT programs started in their schools.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
For years on end, I have said that XP2008 Super Power from Dawei is one of the great all-time values for allround OFF control rubber. It the BH rubber of the Der_Echte SPECIAL, a bargain setup one makes from a new Galaxy 896 blade, a new sheet (USD $8) of XP2008 for BH, and a recycled FH rubber to make a great usable bat for transition between main setups.

I just gave the preacher/elite amature TT player a sheet of it to put on a bat of a player who shows up to the Russian/Romanian church TT program on Fridays.

It would be very hypocritical of me to say only Nexy rubbers are a value. Karis and Elpis are easily good values, but every company makes a good valued product. I have used many firsthand and will not hesitate to praise a vendor or company's product this is high value/performance.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Then there is the EPIC mod to the Stiga Allround Evolution, a thread I make years ago.

I visited Carl and he let me hit with his Allround Evolution, I disremember exactly what rubbers he had on it, but it wasn't stupid vibtaty like many Stiga blades, I liked it, I ordered one, but I realized I needed to modify it to make it more solid and old-school feel.

These adventures are some of the things I was discussing last post.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Then there is the EPIC mod to the Stiga Allround Evolution, a thread I make years ago.

I visited Carl and he let me hit with his Allround Evolution, I disremember exactly what rubbers he had on it, but it wasn't stupid vibtaty like many Stiga blades, I liked it, I ordered one, but I realized I needed to modify it to make it more solid and old-school feel.

These adventures are some of the things I was discussing last post.

Here, Der_Echte is talking about this thread:

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?9048-Re-Building-the-BEAST

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Jirex,

Forgot to mention another advanced player that's using Karis M :)

After reading so many good things about that rubber, I'm really considering to get myself another sheet of it. I have an unused one which I won from NL's forum contest last christmas. I made a new racket just before I got it, so I haven't been using it yet since my current rubbers still have a decent amount of life left. Only too bad that availability in Europe is kind of an issue, do you know if there are any plans for distribution in Europe?