Low backhand power

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
when you say the 2-2 drill , do you mean 2 backhand and 2 forehands , or 2 backhands to the middle and 2 backhands to the corner , or 2 backhands from close and 2 backhands from mid distance ?

In this case I mean two BHs, and then two FHs, so you have to move from side to side. This drill can be easy or hard (depending on who is giving you the balls and where they are putting them). I don't know if everyone calls it that. I always heard it referred to that way.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Okay, thats why it was my first option , since we are talking exclusively about BH , I thought it will be worthwhile to clarify, thanks !
In this case I mean two BHs, and then two FHs, so you have to move from side to side. This drill can be easy or hard (depending on who is giving you the balls and where they are putting them). I don't know if everyone calls it that. I always heard it referred to that way.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

That is what Paul David calls it when he feeds me that. Same drill.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: ttmonster
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Marcos Freitas still trains a lot with 2-2 and variations on it. See Dan's podcast with him, around 14:00 - 17:00 (linked below). That interview had a big impact on me, I think it was one of Dan's best. Ever since I heard that, I have made that the mainstay of my practice. I had been getting pretty undisciplined.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/podcast/12187-tabletennisdaily-podcast-7-marcos-freitas/

One thing he emphasized is that pretty simple drills even at his level (top 10 in the world at the time of the interview) are a way to improve and maintain technique. Remember, you have to incorporate movement to the ball into your training. He mentions you can do all sorts of things to make the 2-2 drill different. Close in, far away, a hybrid with the Falkenberg drill. But you need a partner with the skill and willingness to do it. Fortunately, I have a few.

(Once you get good at it, then you can go to various 2-1 drills).

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Marcos Freitas still trains a lot with 2-2 and variations on it. See Dan's podcast with him, around 14:00 - 17:00. That interview had a big impact, I think it was one of Dan's best. Ever since I heard that, I have made that the mainstay of my practice.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/podcast/12187-tabletennisdaily-podcast-7-marcos-freitas/

One thing he emphasized is that pretty simple drills even at his level (top 10 in the world at the time of the interview) are a way to improve and maintain technique. Remember, you have to incorporate movement to the ball into your training. He mentions you can do all sorts of things to make it different. Close in, far away, a hybrid with the Falkenberg drill. But you need a partner with the skill and willingness to do it. Fortunately, I have a few.

I think that was also one of the drills Mark Croitoroo talked about when he talked about training in Europe and one of the coaches getting him to learn to track the ball with his feet instead of with his hand so that he was in the right position to take each ball.

That was before the shoulder injury that sidelined him. His shoulder is finally starting to get better though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
I knew the whole physics behind it, but I didn't know that it makes THAT much of a difference.

What exactly is happening differently when the ball hits the sweetspot compared to when it doesn't? Is the blade just harder there?
In theory the end of the blade acts like a whip. When you whip your hand like a rope all the potential energy is transferred from the body to the arm to the racket to the ball.

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tinykin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
It also a great opportunity to start working on the own consistency and accuracy. Ideally you should be able to play about twenty backhand loops in a row without a mistake.

Reactions: Gourav Acharya
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Guys, one thing I am going to say: since the original post of this thread the OP has made one post. And then he deleted it himself. Since it is deleted only I can see the post. But it seems like, the thread should fade into the background if he does not want to participate to help people understand where his BH actually needs help.

To me it seems there is no need for any more posts here unless the OP contributes to help people know how he needs help.

Last edited: