Baby oil boosting for Chinese rubbers - an extremely cheap way to add a little zip.

This user has no status.
I enjoy boosting my Chinese rubbers with baby oil because it livens them up just enough for me. Not as dramatic an effect as actual glue/boosters, but the benefits are permanent and it actually extend the longevity of Chinese rubbers drastically (as apposed shortening it). And it's dirt cheap (a dollar s bottle vs 30+ dollars, I mean why wouldn't you?)

Have you ever ordered a Chinese rubber, taken it out of the wrapping and lay it down, only to notice the rubber begins to curl... the wrong way? Who/what killed the sponge?i mean look at it... this is absolutely terrible:

7d328dcf522a364a7e510a726ac6e571.jpg

Well, after only one generous coat of baby oil (approx a tablespoon) and a day of drying, this one here has already perked up

f27238f5e34f4c0354e077d94a800567.jpg

43d5a7d7529136c3e90402271d80b6d9.jpg

Since baby oil is more permanent, you don't need more than one here for Yinhe rubbers, or the dome will be to strong to overcome with WBG. Yinhe rubbers already have a some amount of zip to begin with. Look how much this rubber grew after only one layer:

61e37f08362567e664c50d2c19deb75b.jpg

That is effing lit. I did the same for the H3N as well. The top sheet of the H3N is stretchy enough to were you can do more than coat. This is just one coat:

56bdcea4bc1c5ced94a9af73d188c868.jpg

d60dec675a59c9a97080f4bd716d3c29.jpg

283cacff2b653770a079090c7f14c7c5.jpg

990a42b8905ec4d9e3cd0f91a42e578f.jpg

6a030755530a3108725e044686fc59aa.jpg

Just a little bit of stretching for this one. Will try it sometime this week to see if it needs another layer! The process is straight forward. Very similar to actual boosters. It does require a delicate touch as it is easy to overboost. I strongly recommend baby oil treatment for Chinese rubbers. At the very least, you've stretched the top sheet giving it an ESN like treatment. You will find that these rubbers will not feel overtly dead at slow speed, of balanced shots will become a tad bit easier to recover lift, and you might feel more feedback in longer/faster rallies... just enough to make you want to keep going strong as you should with these types of rubbers (but not to where they feel like tenergys... sorry folks, not how it works).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Imagine the headlines: International Table Tennis Federation announces a decisive ban on baby oil!

Actually, the logic is somehow different. And baby oil was used in pro player circles right after the speed glue ban.

Officials: "Players, you cannot use speed glue anymore. It´s a risk to your health."

Players: "Ok. That´s fine. We might just as well use booster. Oh, and baby oil works a treat."

Industry: "This f***s up our plan to sell these speed glue effect rubbers that we have been developing. Officials, do something."

Officials: "Err, yeah, well ... Hmmm ... Players, you cannot do anything to your rubbers, you must use them as they come."

Players: "Because booster is a risk to our health, too, like baby oil?"

Officials: "No, because we say so."

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
I enjoy boosting my Chinese rubbers with baby oil because it livens them up just enough for me. Not as dramatic an effect as actual glue/boosters, but the benefits are permanent and it actually extend the longevity of Chinese rubbers drastically (as apposed shortening it). And it's dirt cheap (a dollar s bottle vs 30+ dollars, I mean why wouldn't you?)

Have you ever ordered a Chinese rubber, taken it out of the wrapping and lay it down, only to notice the rubber begins to curl... the wrong way? Who/what killed the sponge?i mean look at it... this is absolutely terrible:

cache.php

Well, after only one generous coat of baby oil (approx a tablespoon) and a day of drying, this one here has already perked up

cache.php

cache.php

Since baby oil is more permanent, you don't need more than one here for Yinhe rubbers, or the dome will be to strong to overcome with WBG. Yinhe rubbers already have a some amount of zip to begin with. Look how much this rubber grew after only one layer:

cache.php

That is effing lit. I did the same for the H3N as well. The top sheet of the H3N is stretchy enough to were you can do more than coat. This is just one coat:

cache.php

cache.php

cache.php

cache.php

cache.php

Just a little bit of stretching for this one. Will try it sometime this week to see if it needs another layer! The process is straight forward. Very similar to actual boosters. It does require a delicate touch as it is easy to overboost. I strongly recommend baby oil treatment for Chinese rubbers. At the very least, you've stretched the top sheet giving it an ESN like treatment. You will find that these rubbers will not feel overtly dead at slow speed, of balanced shots will become a tad bit easier to recover lift, and you might feel more feedback in longer/faster rallies... just enough to make you want to keep going strong as you should with these types of rubbers (but not to where they feel like tenergys... sorry folks, not how it works).

Sent from my using Tapatalk

On a side note - given that you have a Yinhe v14, can you please share your experience of how it plays as compared to some other brand blades, if you have them as well. ;)

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I don't miss speed glue for various reasons*, but to be historically accurate I should mention that it was a lot bigger problem in the 1980s and early 90s because the solvents were really nasty, including various halogenated hydrocarbons. However, the stuff TT manufacturers were selling by around 2001 did not contain really bad organic solvents from a toxicological perspective, based on some of the patents that were from that time.

* I liked how they made my racket play and they could massively improve performance of inexpensive rubbers -- most of the time -- but there was always a day when for some you had a bad glue job and nothing felt right. These days it is more fun to just go to the club and start playing without having to glue first, plus gluing was messy and smelly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
I don't miss speed glue for various reasons*, but to be historically accurate I should mention that it was a lot bigger problem in the 1980s and early 90s because the solvents were really nasty, including various halogenated hydrocarbons. However, the stuff TT manufacturers were selling by around 2001 did not contain really bad organic solvents from a toxicological perspective, based on some of the patents that were from that time.

* I liked how they made my racket play and they could massively improve performance of inexpensive rubbers -- most of the time -- but there was always a day when for some you had a bad glue job and nothing felt right. These days it is more fun to just go to the club and start playing without having to glue first, plus gluing was messy and smelly.

I agree.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.

7d328dcf522a364a7e510a726ac6e571.jpg

f27238f5e34f4c0354e077d94a800567.jpg

43d5a7d7529136c3e90402271d80b6d9.jpg

61e37f08362567e664c50d2c19deb75b.jpg

56bdcea4bc1c5ced94a9af73d188c868.jpg

d60dec675a59c9a97080f4bd716d3c29.jpg

283cacff2b653770a079090c7f14c7c5.jpg

990a42b8905ec4d9e3cd0f91a42e578f.jpg

6a030755530a3108725e044686fc59aa.jpg

Sent fro using Tapatalk

Apply baby oil to sponge or topsheet? It can increase speed and spin?how about to play after applying?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You actually can apply baby oil to the topsheet. But you should not do that at the same time as when you apply baby oil to the sponge.

Baby oil to the sponge makes the sponge expand and play with more spring.

Applied to the topsheet of an old rubber, it can make it grip better for a few weeks. You should only do that to a rubber that is losing its grip though. Not to a topsheet with good grip.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
1. Does adding more than 1 layer help by alot of a little

2. Can you tell the difference between the regular boosters and baby oil?

2. There are differences even among different boosters. Some give a mushier feel (Falco Long) while others give a crisper livelier feel but lose boost effect sooner (Haifu SeaMoon). Experiment and pick the one that suits your taste. You can even mix boosters for hybrid effects.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
You actually can apply baby oil to the topsheet. But you should not do that at the same time as when you apply baby oil to the sponge.

Baby oil to the sponge makes the sponge expand and play with more spring.

Applied to the topsheet of an old rubber, it can make it grip better for a few weeks. You should only do that to a rubber that is losing its grip though. Not to a topsheet with good grip.

If I recall correctly, you also once said that WD40 could extend the life of a worn rubber for a short period of time. Certain type of rubbers work better with baby oil than with WD40?

Baby oil expanding the sponge and let it play with more spring, how long does that last?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If I recall correctly, you also once said that WD40 could extend the life of a worn rubber for a short period of time. Certain type of rubbers work better with baby oil than with WD40?

Baby oil expanding the sponge and let it play with more spring, how long does that last?

Yep. That was me. Good memory.

Baby oil works for the topsheet. I like WD40 better for the topsheet. But for tacky rubber either will work fine. They do the same thing. WD40 has a bigger effect on non-tacky topsheets. Baby oil will work about as well on H3.

Well, here is the thing, the expansion makes more space in the air bubbles. Then you get the extra springiness. But, let's say you poured baby oil on a plate and left the plate for a few weeks or months at room temperature. At a certain point it wouldn't feel like oil. It would feel a little dryer and stickier. Then it would start to harden.

It will do that while in your sponge as well. At a certain point it makes the sponge more rigid because residue of oil hardens while it is on the sponge. The oil also causes the rubber molecules to break down and oxidize a little faster.

You still should be able to boost the sponge a few times and keep the rubber playing well for 6 months to a year. At a certain point the rubber will be dead whether you boost it or not though. So it is not worth worrying about this stuff.

Guys like Der_Echte have use H3 for 2-3 years. If you are more fussy about equipment you may change it sooner.

With this stuff, it the rubber still feels okay to you, keep using it. There is no real formula.

Reactions: Jirrex
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
My current rubber is quite old and worn. Would it be a good idea to treat it with a method like this?

Yeah. It could help. Try doing baby oil or WD40 to the topsheet first. See if that helps. Not much. A circle the size of a small coin and rub the oil into the topsheet. It will sink in. Then the topsheet will be grippier.

If you decide to do the sponge, wait two weeks after you do the topsheet before you boost the sponge.

Do you have glue for gluing the rubbers back on?

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
Yeah. It could help. Try doing baby oil or WD40 to the topsheet first. See if that helps. Not much. A circle the size of a small coin and rub the oil into the topsheet. It will sink in. Then the topsheet will be grippier.

If you decide to do the sponge, wait two weeks after you do the topsheet before you boost the sponge.

Do you have glue for gluing the rubbers back on?

Alright, so just a little bit of oil then rub it in. Do I just smear it over the topsheet with my fingers and let it absorb? What can I expect from this topsheet boosting: a bit more grab?

Why the sponge after the topsheet?

Yep, I have more than enough to glue it back on ten times if I want. Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Well, here is the thing, the expansion makes more space in the air bubbles. Then you get the extra springiness. But, let's say you poured baby oil on a plate and left the plate for a few weeks or months at room temperature. At a certain point it wouldn't feel like oil. It would feel a little dryer and stickier. Then it would start to harden.

It will do that while in your sponge as well. At a certain point it makes the sponge more rigid because residue of oil hardens while it is on the sponge. The oil also causes the rubber molecules to break down and oxidize a little faster.

You still should be able to boost the sponge a few times and keep the rubber playing well for 6 months to a year. At a certain point the rubber will be dead whether you boost it or not though.

Just wanna add one thing:
some oils tend to harden sooner as others. If you take different oils and pour a few drops of each in an own cup and then leave it somewhere on the shelf for a couple of weeks, then some will look like jelly, some will be harder, some will still be runny.
There was a guy on a german forum who's been experiencing boosting (or “reviving“) with different kind of oils.
IIRC linseed oil was hardening quite fast and lavender, almond and tea tree oil was staying runny.
I'll try to find the link, but this could take a little, 'cause just like here posts get burried fast on that forum.

[EDIT: found it! here's the link]
http://forum.tt-news.de/showthread.php?t=82924&highlight=mandel%F6l&page=12

But the time how long these rubbers can be used is pretty accurate.
I've been using the same set up since last year's August and wanted to replace the rubbers now, but my coach asked me: for what? The rubbers are still grippy and 'alive'!!
After eleven months!! (including practice, league matches and a few tournaments!!)
Awesome!!

Last edited:
Reactions: fais and Jirrex
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Yep. That was me. Good memory.

Baby oil works for the topsheet. I like WD40 better for the topsheet. But for tacky rubber either will work fine. They do the same thing. WD40 has a bigger effect on non-tacky topsheets. Baby oil will work about as well on H3.

You still should be able to boost the sponge a few times and keep the rubber playing well for 6 months to a year. At a certain point the rubber will be dead whether you boost it or not though. So it is not worth worrying about this stuff.

Guys like Der_Echte have use H3 for 2-3 years. If you are more fussy about equipment you may change it sooner.

With this stuff, it the rubber still feels okay to you, keep using it. There is no real formula.

Thanks for the clear explanation, Carl.

It doesn't sound that interesting to me to boost (with baby oil) at the moment, but it's always interesting to know how things work.

Just wanna add one thing:
some oils tend to harden sooner as others. If you take different oils and pour a few drops of each in an own cup and then leave it somewhere on the shelf for a couple of weeks, then some will look like jelly, some will be harder, some will still be runny.
There was a guy on a german forum who's been experiencing boosting (or “reviving“) with different kind of oils.
IIRC linseed oil was hardening quite fast and lavender, almond and tea tree oil was staying runny.
I'll try to find the link, but this could take a little, 'cause just like here posts get burried fast on that forum.

[EDIT: found it! here's the link]
http://forum.tt-news.de/showthread.php?t=82924&highlight=mandel%F6l&page=12

But the time how long these rubbers can be used is pretty accurate.
I've been using the same set up since last year's August and wanted to replace the rubbers now, but my coach asked me: for what? The rubbers are still grippy and 'alive'!!
After eleven months!! (including practice, league matches and a few tournaments!!)
Awesome!!

Interesting thread, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Suga D