Asking advice to improve loop fh and rpb

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Saw your video , I don't play pen hold , so you should wait for somebody who plays pen hold to confirm these observations ....
anyways, I personally think you would benefit greatly from getting lessons from a coach, playing in shoes that are less heavy should help as well ...

1. TBH : I felt your backhand form is better than your forehand form , you are rotating around the elbow and not moving your head too much, you need to just play slower and ask your partner to try to block consistenly and build your form from there onward ...

2. On the forehand I thought that in order to achieve weight transfer you are moving the entire weight from one leg to the other which is resulting in not much waist movement , and a forearm snap that is too slow ... and then the head is moving too much , you will have trouble in increasing the speed of the loop and being consistent because you will have trouble in reading the succeeding ball if your head is bobbing up and down ...

I think its best to quickly get hold of a coach so that you can fix the basics , it will be difficult to unlearn issues in your form the more you keep practicing it ... also , I feel you are on the right path , you should critique your own video and compare it with videos of pro players teaching fundamentals ( I will not try to emulate match play videos because its a different proposition )
and become conscious of what mistakes your doing

2. On the forehand I thought that in order to achieve weight transfer you are moving the entire weight from one leg to the other which is resulting in not much waist movement , and a forearm snap that is too slow ... and then the head is moving too much , you will have trouble in increasing the speed of the loop and being consistent because you will have trouble in reading the succeeding ball if your head is bobbing up and down ...

as for the transferring of the weight for the fh.. I am using Zhang Jike's video to do it.. I like how he uses his right leg to generate power XD

says what [IMG]
as for the transferring of the weight for the fh.. I am using Zhang Jike's video to do it.. I like how he uses his right leg to generate power XD
You shouldn't copy something if you don't know why you're doing it or at the very least how to do it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Yes, but here you are trying to loop against flat blocks or at the most countering ... the videos you have seen is where Zhang Jike is looping against heavy chop where he pushes off the right feet .... you should look at videos where he is looping against block or countering ... it all depends on the incoming spin and where in the trajectory of the ball you are contacting ...

this is Zhang Jike doing what you were trying to do in your video ....

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Learning table tennis only from the internet without a coach is not a good idea unless you really don't have the resources or opportunities to go take lessons from a coach or play in a club .... thats is what I had said in my first post , if you carefully read it. With pro player what you see in the videos is the end product of many many years and hours of training , its totally possible that their coaches had to start them off with a completely different technique ... still if you want to learn from videos try to learn where coaches are teaching beginners, most of the pro player technique videos are mostly meant for publicity and really is not the best resource with some exceptions ....

Learning table tennis only from the internet without a coach is not a good idea unless you really don't have the resources or opportunities to go take lessons from a coach or play in a club .... thats is what I had said in my first post , if you carefully read it. With pro player what you see in the videos is the end product of many many years and hours of training , its totally possible that their coaches had to start them off with a completely different technique ... still if you want to learn from videos try to learn where coaches are teaching beginners, most of the pro player technique videos are mostly meant for publicity and really is not the best resource with some exceptions ....
Thank you very much for genuinely trying to help me :)
I do not have the opportunity to have a coach... I only played table tennis 2 years ago at age of 21 ...
I will carefully take note of what you said and continue to do my best..
again thank you :)

Reactions: Suga D
Your elbow is coming up to much, likely because you are trying to come up on to of the ball to generate topspin. I used to do the same thing. Try to keep the elbow more low. Often fh is taught with elbow tucked in. This is for fh btw. For rpb, a la WH, stick the elbow forward and use it as an axis for arm rotation. Start the stroke lower, and come up brushing the ball (see video above)

Your elbow is coming up to much, likely because you are trying to come up on to of the ball to generate topspin. I used to do the same thing. Try to keep the elbow more low. Often fh is taught with elbow tucked in. This is for fh btw. For rpb, a la WH, stick the elbow forward and use it as an axis for arm rotation. Start the stroke lower, and come up brushing the ball (see video above)
Thanks.. its true I force things to generate spin.. will try what you said.
:)

Also, I say this to everyone learning: pay attention to the sound, the feeling and the trajectory. When you brush the ball, the sound will be less pronounced and the vibration in the hand will be more a shimmering/long and sweet vibration. when you hit the ball more flat, the sound will crack and you will feel a more blunt/crisp vibration. hitting the ball flat is more easy when you start out, so focus on generating spin. This will increase the chance of the ball going in, and give you more confidence in your shots when playing games. Eventually, it's important (especially as a penholder) to be able to control the spin to be able to hit a ball wherever you want in the drive/loop spectrum. focusing on the sound, feeling and visual trajectory will help you to develop attacking strokes easier. Also, bend your knees.