Is trying to play a defensive/chopper style under 2000 USA basically worthless?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
I know an easy solution! Make a long flat serve to the opponent, let them loop and then chop.

This works to a degree (assuming they do loop it), but can't prevent them from pushing/dropping your chop. If your opponent decides not to attack, you are kind of stuck with defensive battle and hope you are more patient and consistent or start using your attacking abilities more.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
From how I understand your question: just learn to play the way you feel is good table tennis, even if it makes you temporarily worse. If you love the sport, you should feel good doing so more than winning.

You'll progress much faster, have fun and do things you wouldn't achieve in a lifetime by chickening your way to an easy win, again and again, against people you've already played on repeated occasions. Eventually you'll be so clearly above the 1200-1900 range that it won't matter what you do.

Don't focus too much on what you perceive as your style. You don't have a style until you're a master.

Incorporate new things into your game, and realise that you are not entitled to succeed at first. Big deal if you lose against people you've beaten time and time again. Swallow it up, good game and happy day for them.

Of course, if you're maybe more of a recreational and social player at the moment, it is perfectly fine too. To each their own. Maybe my rant doesn't apply then.

ps. On a technical note, what TableTennisTom suggested to you sounds like a good idea for what to do next.

Last edited:
Reactions: pgpg
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Maybe you could try and train regularly with one or two these players. Their loops should start to develop pretty quickly playing regularly against a chopper. An opportunity for both of you to develop.
In matches if I play a chopper/pusher and it's not going well I'll push back and see if they attack a loose ball. If they don't that gives me big safety margin and I'll wait for the loose ball that I can attack. A defensive player that won't attack is at a disadvantage

Reactions: pgpg