Making a return to the sport

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Hi from Norfolk England. After a 40 year lay off I want to regain some fitness and loose some weight,. Looking at the vetts site there are many I recognise from my past still playing in the over 50s. My timing is off, returns too easy to destroy and serve is pretty average. So a way to go . Things have moved on so much, terminology is alien in terms of equipment. Currently playing with a Stiga all round blade shod with yasaka new era which seems very lively. I will be asking a few beginners questions in the future so please have patience if they are of rudimentary level.
Kind regards
Gary

Welcome back to the game, Gary.
Hi from Norfolk England. After a 40 year lay off I want to regain some fitness and loose some weight,. Looking at the vetts site there are many I recognise from my past still playing in the over 50s. My timing is off, returns too easy to destroy and serve is pretty average. So a way to go . Things have moved on so much, terminology is alien in terms of equipment. Currently playing with a Stiga all round blade shod with yasaka new era which seems very lively. I will be asking a few beginners questions in the future so please have patience if they are of rudimentary level.
Kind regards
Gary

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Even with a 40 year lay off, you can still get back playing to a decent standard. Yes, some things will have changed, but there are some universals which will always apply - tactics, placement, consistency etc. We have players in my local league (Cambridge) who are still going strong in their 70s. Hope you return to table tennis goes well!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Thanks for the offer, we probably were in different age groups in the counties, assuming you were Norfolk born. I played in the Gt Yarmouth league, entering counties and training at CEYMS and UEA.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Thanks for the offer...Looked at the league, some venues will be a 30 mile journey from me so at this stage I will be playing locally to see if I can regain anything of my former level. Again thanks. Gary