The Psychology of an Internet Troll

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
Can't tell if UpSideDownCarl and Trump are actually very clever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Super moderator trolling the trolls to make the forum lively, or just waiting for a new brain transplant? From other posts would guess the former.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Can't tell if UpSideDownCarl and Trump are actually very clever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Super moderator trolling the trolls to make the forum lively, or just waiting for a new brain transplant? From other posts would guess the former.

This is totally funny. That there is one fine piece of trolling. [emoji2]

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
ya , I am yet to figure out how he got the smiley face inside those braces , have been wondering since yesterday , OP care to divulge ?

The top line for the hands, the slanting " for the eyes and the curved slant for the mouth all seem mysteries to me. [emoji2]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Selecting and copying worked for me though.

><(((°>

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Some of our classic tt forum trolls, I have often thanked my lucky stars that they are not co-workers. Can you even imagine having to deal with AH daily? When he came back his style was so characteristic it took less than a week to sniff him out.

One of our most famous ones I actually met face to face. He was right on the edge of the autism spectrum in person I think, as you might expect for the kinds of things he obsessed about. He was not in the last bit charismatic like some people who have the "dark tetrad". In retrospect I am not sure he was a typical troll, he was more of a monomaniac who also had no self-awareness (or awareness of what his "loop" looked like). Carl knows of whom I speak. I think his motivation was different, even though the effect was the same.

In the US we are now a trollocracy, and one can see that it is not..... hmmm...... must use my words carefully. Well, it is..... not..... I will leave it at that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2017
Good grief! Some guy with cute animated graphics and some postadolescent goatee with no training in psychology whatsoever and you actually take these people seriously?????(emoticon for credulity above and beyond the call of duty)

This is pop psych for the Dr. Phil crowd. And you fall for it????

If someone were to post a YouTube video called The Psychology of Moderators of Table Tennis Forums who had no psychological credentials whatsoever would you believe that person hook line and sinker?

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017

The original science.

In two online studies (total N = 1215), respondents completed personality inventories and a survey of their Internet commenting styles. Overall, strong positive associations emerged among online commenting frequency, trolling enjoyment, and troll identity, pointing to a common construct underlying the measures. Both studies revealed similar patterns of relations between trolling and the Dark Tetrad of personality: trolling correlated positively with sadism, psychopathy, and Machiavellianism, using both enjoyment ratings and identity scores. Of all personality measures, sadism showed the most robust associations with trolling and, importantly, the relationship was specific to trolling behavior. Enjoyment of other online activities, such as chatting and debating, was unrelated to sadism. Thus cyber-trolling appears to be an Internet manifestation of everyday sadism.

​"An internet manifestation of everyday sadism"? My stars and little fishes! Internet trolling sadism Dark Tetrad personality disorder!!!!???? Whoa. Damn.

I'm a sadist, I'm a sadist
With Dark Tetrad tendencies
And I post on tt forums
Moderators to displease.

Please please please don't let the Southwest Tucson Veterans' Administration clinic know about this grievous condition. They'd take away my volunteer badge and then I couldn't sing and play old time country on my digital keyboard as a volunteer musical recreational aide with my friends "Lonesome Ron" Riggs, Rick "Ringo" Garcia and Eileen "Patsy Cline" Lupkes three Tuesdays a month from 11:30 to 1:30 for disabled vets at the building 60 dining hall.

Dark Tetrad personality disorder--pffft

And I'm supposed to be some sort of cybermonster?:mad:

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
I'll tell y'all this... music performed by volunteers or paid trolls can be mighty soothing and helpful to those with mind trauma or other feel bads.

That is an under-researched and under-discussed and used tool.

Damn straight, Der Echte. As you were. Smoke 'em if you got 'em. All volunteers, veterans or not (I am) volunteer for free.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Internet is full of ****ed up assholes. Well, what do you know?

Yeah but since you can avoid ****ed up assholes in everyday life or just be kept away from them by social barriers and authority figures that do not often exist on the internet, your statement is not as profound as you think it is. In fact, one of the things I suapect is that you wouldn't speak to me in the manner you just wrote if we were face to face.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
If we start digging old threads, I'm gonna have to be accountable for what I write. Uh-huh. I hereby retract my interrogative statement about Carl and Trump. Carl is unlikely to be wearing a wig, and in retrospect, is a fairly laid back moderator (with at most a slight obsession over trolls).

If it were me, berndtkhgsgmann would be preemptively banned. The ban would extend until the powers that be receive from him a public letter of apology, in his best prose or even in poem form. The letter would express his regret at claiming the superiority of hardbat over normal table tennis, played by normal people with two arms, two legs, two brain hemispheres and two sponges on their bat. It would actually express his regret for talking about hardbat at all, for attempting to maintain the old ways of hardbat in this modern era of ours, and acknowledge the dark influence of hardbat on the development of proper table tennis in the United States up to this day.

We would get to see the spark die in his eyes and that would be very enjoyable.