Practice match, tips?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016

Hi I'm back:) Just wondering for tips again hehe, I'm the tall guy and the other guy is my good friend Edvin, we took a game and filmed it, unfortunately the camera stopped reordering in the 4th set because of storage, the match ended 3-2 to me and the last sets were the best but yeah:/ If you would describe my playing style, what would it be? I'm gonna get my EJ head out and ask a question, what setup of blade and rubbers would fit me, not saying I don't like my setup (Fang Bo Carbon / Hurricnane 3 BS + Yinhe moon) just curious to know haha. Would a predict a comment, thank you:)))) EDIT : How advanced rubbers can I use, if I would get Tenergy for BH, should it be normal version or FX version, soft, medium or hard runner for BH, I personally thing Medium should fit my BH, still easy enough to generate spin on passive strokes, and still hard enough to not bottom out on my active, hard strokes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nicky, one thing i notice is that you are favoring your backhand to finish off the high ball. I think you should try the forehand to do that.
By the way your serves are quite nice. Keep up the good work.
Also i notice that once you are mid distance from the table you are trying to use short back-swing on some of the returns.. don't do that. Do not cheat on the stroke, give it a full flow. You might miss a few balls but your technique will not suffer.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
(…) If you would describe my playing style, what would it be?

You're the leftie, right? You're an attacker, but seem to prefer dropping back to second position. Your friend Edvin keeps a bit closer to the table. Every now and then you get a bit in trouble when blocking passively, I think that might be less so if you went a bit closer in and took these off the bounce, Tickan-style. Easier said than done.

I like your style, think your FH kills are very strong. I see good serves and some quality service returns; both of you have a reasonable balance between FH and BH, although Edvin seems slightly more BH-slanted than you.

Equipment-wise, since you're both making full strokes with confidence and a reasonable rate of unforced errors I'd guess you're in control of what you're playing with. This is a good thing, and I don't see any lack of power in the finishing shots - or a lack of spin or speed in the third ball openings. It's all looking pretty good to me. Room for improvement is probably in the realm of tightening up the footwork and the reset-to-position; but that's basically true for everybody not named "Ma Long".

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
You're the leftie, right? You're an attacker, but seem to prefer dropping back to second position. Your friend Edvin keeps a bit closer to the table. Every now and then you get a bit in trouble when blocking passively, I think that might be less so if you went a bit closer in and took these off the bounce, Tickan-style. Easier said than done.

I like your style, think your FH kills are very strong. I see good serves and some quality service returns; both of you have a reasonable balance between FH and BH, although Edvin seems slightly more BH-slanted than you.

Equipment-wise, since you're both making full strokes with confidence and a reasonable rate of unforced errors I'd guess you're in control of what you're playing with. This is a good thing, and I don't see any lack of power in the finishing shots - or a lack of spin or speed in the third ball openings. It's all looking pretty good to me. Room for improvement is probably in the realm of tightening up the footwork and the reset-to-position; but that's basically true for everybody not named "Ma Long".

Thank you so much I really love getting comments like this. I get so happy getting advise like this, and everything you said was right! :D. Edvin is a very good two-winged attacker, both BH and FH, and yes he plays more close to the table. I tend to back up to give me more time, I've started developing my BH and sometimes getting close to the table. I have a big problem close to the table, my movement is to slow and I can't get a full stroke, that's why I always tend to back up. Thank you for the advise again, I really appreciate it, (posted by a guy who lives for TT, I just love everything about TT:))). THANK YOU:D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Nicky, one thing i notice is that you are favoring your backhand to finish off the high ball. I think you should try the forehand to do that.
By the way your serves are quite nice. Keep up the good work.
Also i notice that once you are mid distance from the table you are trying to use short back-swing on some of the returns.. don't do that. Do not cheat on the stroke, give it a full flow. You might miss a few balls but your technique will not suffer.

Thank you a lot for the advise, could you give a more explained description of giving it a "full flow"? Yes thank you I will work as hard as I can to improve everything, thank you again and I will post a video probably in the winter:D

What i meant by 'full flow' was giving the total backswing on the drive once you are a bit further from the table. When you are close to the table, you dont need the full backswing on the drive, a short swing can do the job too. Once you are some distance from the table, you need more power in your shots therefore a proper complete backswing is required to get the drive 'talking' as it were.

Reactions: Nicky Franck

Tom

This user has no status.

Tom

This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 7 reviews

Hi I'm back:) Just wondering for tips again hehe, I'm the tall guy and the other guy is my good friend Edvin, we took a game and filmed it, unfortunately the camera stopped reordering in the 4th set because of storage, the match ended 3-2 to me and the last sets were the best but yeah:/ If you would describe my playing style, what would it be? I'm gonna get my EJ head out and ask a question, what setup of blade and rubbers would fit me, not saying I don't like my setup (Fang Bo Carbon / Hurricnane 3 BS + Yinhe moon) just curious to know haha. Would a predict a comment, thank you:))))

Hey Nicky! You've got some nice powerful attacking shots on both sides and when your getting your first spin on, your friend makes some mistakes with blocking off the end quite a bit, so you are getting good spin quality as well! I think what is important for you is the recovery from your attacking shots, your shots are sometimes quite long and against strong players if they block the ball back fast or counter topspin you will find it hard to recover. So that's maybe a little thing to work on as well as staying close to the table, your game is good when you make the first spin and stay close with power, your serves will help you do this because they are pretty good by the looks of this video ☺️ Overall looks like you are doing well, so keep working hard and practice recovering and being able to play your strong topspins again and again and that will help you progress to beating stronger players! Good work man, all the best!

Last edited:

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
It looked like you played a lot of passive shots with your fh, especially pushing some long serves, even though your fh attacks are really good. You should take the initiative with your fh any chance you get. Your defence away from the table is strong too. Closer to the table your fh block is too often with the bat pointed up, which sends the ball long. If you want to play more close to the table maybe you can do a lot of drills where your partner blocks to your elbow. You did some "chicken-wing" when that happened, which taller guys with long arms do a lot. If you work on turning to take those balls with your fh it may help.

Overall you both play great and it was a very fun match to watch. If you are happy with your setup now there is no reason to change.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
What i meant by 'full flow' was giving the total backswing on the drive once you are a bit further from the table. When you are close to the table, you dont need the full backswing on the drive, a short swing can do the job too. Once you are some distance from the table, you need more power in your shots therefore a proper complete backswing is required to get the drive 'talking' as it were.

Okej Thank You, i Will start focusing on changing up the swing depending on how far I am from the table, thank you again for the advice:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Hey Nicky! You've got some nice powerful attacking shots on both sides and when your getting your first spin on, your friend makes some mistakes with blocking off the end quite a bit, so you are getting good spin quality as well! I think what is important for you is the recovery from your attacking shots, your shots are sometimes quite long and against strong players if they block the ball back fast or counter topspin you will find it hard to recover. So that's maybe a little thing to work on as well as staying close to the table, your game is good when you make the first spin and stay close with power, your serves will help you do this because they are pretty good by the looks of this video [emoji5] Overall looks like you are doing well, so keep working hard and practice recovering and being able to play your strong topspins again and again and that will help you progress to beating stronger players! Good work man, all the best!

Thank you so much, thanks for the compliments and telling me what to work on. Recovery, that is one thing I need to focus on but always forget, I have to start getting used to looping hard and then getting back to postion for the next ball, this is a big problem for me because my FH loop is too big and I really need to keep in my head that after I've looped I gotta get ready again for the next ball. And again, thank you so much and yes, I will practice everything that has been said[emoji108]:D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tom
This user has no status.
I am going to be honest here:

I would change your forehand rubber because 1. you tend to use your backhand more for safer plays and 2. you dont generate enough power for a national hurricane to be of any use. I say this because of personal experience. For your opening loops against backspin, you need way more arem acceleration and as a result, like shown in the video, you tend to net these balls. I propose a softer Rubber Like a butterfly rozena or even a xiom vega europe.
Dont misunderstand though, I did not mean to only criticise you, your playstyle looks very clean and If you train hard enough and develop a certain anmount of power you can give the national h3 another shot :)

peace!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Wouldn't a H3 rubber be good for trying to develop a powerful forehand? Or is it good to learn a powerful forehand with a soft rubber first?

But fun match to see you play very well, what ranking do you have and how long have you played Nicky?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
It looked like you played a lot of passive shots with your fh, especially pushing some long serves, even though your fh attacks are really good. You should take the initiative with your fh any chance you get. Your defence away from the table is strong too. Closer to the table your fh block is too often with the bat pointed up, which sends the ball long. If you want to play more close to the table maybe you can do a lot of drills where your partner blocks to your elbow. You did some "chicken-wing" when that happened, which taller guys with long arms do a lot. If you work on turning to take those balls with your fh it may help.

Overall you both play great and it was a very fun match to watch. If you are happy with your setup now there is no reason to change.

Ues thank you, i Will start doing more drills Stationsg close to the table and brewing ready to move when the ball comes to the elbow

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
I am going to be honest here:

I would change your forehand rubber because 1. you tend to use your backhand more for safer plays and 2. you dont generate enough power for a national hurricane to be of any use. I say this because of personal experience. For your opening loops against backspin, you need way more arem acceleration and as a result, like shown in the video, you tend to net these balls. I propose a softer Rubber Like a butterfly rozena or even a xiom vega europe.
Dont misunderstand though, I did not mean to only criticise you, your playstyle looks very clean and If you train hard enough and develop a certain anmount of power you can give the national h3 another shot :)

peace!

Haha it's fine thank you for being honest [emoji4] the reason I changed to hurricane 3 is because it will force me to get a full stroke and make sure to get in position for the shot. If it wouldn't force me for that then I would not think about getting ready for a full stroke and I would just not get a good shot back, trying to stay offensive, offensive and even more offensive :) thank you again

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Wouldn't a H3 rubber be good for trying to develop a powerful forehand? Or is it good to learn a powerful forehand with a soft rubber first?

But fun match to see you play very well, what ranking do you have and how long have you played Nicky?

Haha thank you very much, I've played for 4 years, I started when I was 10 and played in a club for 3 years which wasn't t that great, the club then got shut down so I changed to my current club (Malmö IF) in the beginning of 2016 and has played there since then. In Sweden I have around 800 ranking points which isn't that high, but the reason for that is because I haven't played many tournaments, only about 2. My couches say that I would be around 1100-1300 points. I will start playing more tournaments now and hope it will be fun :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Hi,
you should train your footwork. You have to make small moves to be in correct position. Also, you have to try to be more aggressive on the FH side. This doesn't mean that you have to loop-kill everything. Instead of the FH blocks you have to counterloop with a smaller swing than you do on loops against backspin. Your skills will develop over time, so try to play as much as you can and focus during the training.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Hi,
you should train your footwork. You have to make small moves to be in correct position. Also, you have to try to be more aggressive on the FH side. This doesn't mean that you have to loop-kill everything. Instead of the FH blocks you have to counterloop with a smaller swing than you do on loops against backspin. Your skills will develop over time, so try to play as much as you can and focus during the training.

Yes, this is one reason why I play with hurricane, I have to actually "be aggressive" in the stroke, after my first loop I notice that I actually do have time to loop back but I chicken out and just try and touch the ball back, really have to practice on that and a lot of work on the footwork, thank you<3