Is this a genuine DHS Hurricane?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
So my table tennis coach told me he had put a new rubber on a bat i used during his classes and said he was selling it to me for 30 bucks, i bought it. Now i'm wondering wether it's actually genuine, i'm not sure what kind it is specifically but i hope the pictures will help identifying it.

https://ibb.co/m46295
https://ibb.co/gzEN95

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A few things:

1) It may be real, but if it is, it is real old.
2) It does not have the box with the ITTF rubber approval number which is how they were made around 2008. That should give you an idea of how old. The following photo is from 2011 and you can see that the rubber has a completely different label than the very old version in your photo.
bat1.jpg
3) I believe, if the rubber does not have those numbers, or the bottom edge has been cut the way this one you are asking about has, that it could be rejected as not meeting standards if you were playing in a tournament. An opponent seeing that, even in a risky dink tournament could get past you by showing a tournament official your rubbers.

In the end though, none of this matters if you play for fun and are not going to be in that scenario I described where those things matter. If the rubber plays well and you enjoy playing with it, it is fine. That topsheet is from back in the days were the H3 topsheet could really pick the ball up.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Sorry Carl, but this isn´t 100% accurate!
The rubber doesn´t have to be that old!

I´ve bought this Nittaku H3 in 2015 brandnew directly from www.Nittaku.tt and as one clearly can see it also has the old topsheet with the bigger printed chinese characters and without the ITTF approval number as well. It definitely is still allowed to be used in official tournaments since it´s on the Larc for years!
No matter if theres an approval number or not! Otherwise Nittaku would receive a sh*tload of complaints for selling stuff that isn´t even competitive usable.

Attachments

• IMG_20161203_004712.jpg
    IMG_20161203_004712.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Sorry Carl, but this isn´t 100% accurate!
The rubber doesn´t have to be that old!

I´ve bought this Nittaku H3 in 2015 brandnew directly from www.Nittaku.tt and as one clearly can see it also has the old topsheet with the bigger printed chinese characters and without the ITTF approval number as well. It definitely is still allowed to be used in official tournaments since it´s on the Larc for years!
No matter if theres an approval number or not! Otherwise Nittaku would receive a sh*tload of complaints for selling stuff that isn´t even competitive usable.

Nice to know that the ITTF numbers don't matter. :)

The Nittaku topsheet still has a different label than the one in the OP's photo. They are worth comparing.

I am not really sure of the rules on the cutting of the label, but I have seen an umpire not allow a rubber for a cut like that across the label. Personally, I don't think it should be the case. And in the end, if the rubber feels good and the player wants to use it, to me, it should be fine. So, for the OP, I would worry most about if the rubber feels good to him.

But if that cut could get his racket disqualified in a tournament, and he does play in a league, it is something to consider. Some players bring stuff like that up for mind games, just to mess with you. Even when your rubber is legit. Feeding the mind games is something to think about if that stuff gets under the OP's skin. Even if the rubber is legit.

I definitely know guys who would check the racket and then make a big deal about that rubber at the outset of the match. And even if they were wrong, it would be in the player's head right at the start of the match.

Again, I don't know the rules on this. I am not sure what they are. But I know people who would see that and use it to get inside a player's head.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Nice to know that the ITTF numbers don't matter. :)

The Nittaku topsheet still has a different label than the one in the OP's photo. They are worth comparing.

I am not really sure of the rules on the cutting of the label, but I have seen an umpire not allow a rubber for a cut like that across the label. Personally, I don't think it should be the case. And in the end, if the rubber feels good and the player wants to use it, to me, it should be fine. So, for the OP, I would worry most about if the rubber feels good to him.

But if that cut could get his racket disqualified in a tournament, and he does play in a league, it is something to consider. Some players bring stuff like that up for mind games, just to mess with you. Even when your rubber is legit. Feeding the mind games is something to think about if that stuff gets under the OP's skin. Even if the rubber is legit.

I definitely know guys who would check the racket and then make a big deal about that rubber at the outset of the match. And even if they were wrong, it would be in the player's head right at the start of the match.

Again, I don't know the rules on this. I am not sure what they are. But I know people who would see that and use it to get inside a player's head.

Well speculations aren´t very helpful here, but if that really was the case, the umpire should´ve been fired! But maybe tinykin or some other umpire reads this and can elaborate on this a bit.
The rules clearly state
The supplier and brand names and the frame - with the ITTF logo and
ITTF number (when applied) - must be visible on the racket covering
when it is mounted on the blade (The Law 3.2.1.2).

<tbody>
</tbody>
the keywords are here "when applied" so if not applied there´s no necessity. As long as it´s on the larc the mindgames don´t matter to me. I´m pretty good at playing back the ball and turning the table
;)
H3_oldtopsheet3.jpg
H3_oldtopsheet2.jpg
H3_oldtopsheet.jpg

http://www.old.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf1.asp?category=rubber
3.02.01.03 The covering material on a side of the blade used for striking the ball shall be currently authorised by the ITTF and shall be identified by the ITTF number (when present), the supplier and brand names and shall be attached to the blade so that this identification is clearly visible near the handle. Lists of all approved and authorised equipment and materials are maintained by the ITTF Office and details are available on the ITTF web site.

The thing is Dr. Arash Moumeni, a good friend of mine and also a good friend of your National Coach Stefan Feth used to play quite high (2nd Bundesliga) and he and some of his friends had the habit to be cutting off a part of the bottom of a rubber where the rubber has its printing to make the rubber´s playing zone a little larger, so jeanluc´s H3 should be totally fine IMHO.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Well speculations aren´t very helpful here, but if that really was the case, the umpire should´ve been fired! But maybe tinykin or some other umpire reads this and can elaborate on this a bit.
The rules clearly state

the keywords are here "when applied" so if not applied there´s no necessity. As long as it´s on the larc the mindgames don´t matter to me. I´m pretty good at playing back the ball and turning the table
;)
View attachment 13994
View attachment 13995
View attachment 13996

http://www.old.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf1.asp?category=rubber

The thing is Dr. Arash Moumeni, a good friend of mine and also a good friend of your National Coach Stefan Feth used to play quite high (2nd Bundesliga) and he and some of his friends had the habit to be cutting off a part of the bottom of a rubber where the rubber has its printing to make the rubber´s playing zone a little larger, so jeanluc´s H3 should be totally fine IMHO.

Very nice info!

I always had doubt about ITTF Number, I thought it was necessary to have it to be a valid rubber for official competition. I have some chinese rubbers (Palio AK47) but they don't have these numbers, so I thought it was not official aproved by ITTF, but I was wrong! (actually it doesn't make difference for me because I don't compete, but it is always good to know!)

Thanks Suga D!