Analyse a Match

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Hello everyone, hope you all are good. Today I am sharing a match with you. Please analyse the match and find the common mistakes. It will be great if you suggest me what should they do in the game. I know many of you are professional coaches, players & you have a lot of experiences. We don't have any professional coach to suggest us, thats why I am posting here. Hope you guys will help me with your suggestions to improve the game. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
I think you'll get a lot of feedback about technique, so I would pay attention to a different cut.
The player in black tends to "shrink" shoulders on serve and many other hits /contracting trapezius and levator muscles/.
With serves its a part of the first phase, but if you stay stuck like that you will jeopardize the needed fast reactions of all muscle systems. If you look at his winning hits, you will see they are not with "shrinked" shoulders.

Reactions: Hridoy
Player in black could use a wider stance with his weight more forward. He tends to stand too straight up with weight back on his heels. This shows up especially on forehands where he's slow to get out wide, reaches rather than moves his feet, and often off balance when striking the ball.

Yes, that's true. I think this is because he feels more comfort with his backhand in corespondance with the shrinking shoulders tendency.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Black player:
1. After pushes he forgets to step back with the right leg --> tempo loss
2. After backhand counters he forgets his arm up in the followthrough --> tempo loss
3. More aggressive gameplay, try to replace FH blocks with topspins.

1 and 2 are need to be practiced in block training first, with lots of repetition.

Red player:
He needs an overall better footwork.
More weight transfer on loops.
More aggressive gameplay, he seemed to lose his confidence and decided to attack too late.

Footwork training is the most important now, this should include the weight transfer movement. Shadow training is always an option, not even an opponent or table is needed.

I am too tired (it's late there) to be aware of tactics and strategy things. But it's important to always have a plan, for example: 'I will open up to his middle and then change to attack his wide BH' or something like that. If it doesn't work, change the plan. It can be as simple as 'I will keep short everything I can'/'I will use long pushes to pin him down to one corner'.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
i think the 2 players on the vid have similar levels and the same kind of problems.
Decrease the % of unforced errors, especially on the 3rd ball attack or rather easy blocks.
Its a question of being more active with the footwork and not putting too much power

I also noticed they always did the pendulum serves. They should try serves with the opposite sidespin i.e. YG serve, BH serve or shovel or hammer serve for example. especially that both seem to like to attack with BH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
I think the red player should focus on his forehand footwork particularly. He's too parallel to the table. Needs to bring his right foot back for playing forehand. Also, too much shoulder being used and not even elbow snap. This is why the ball keeps getting contacted a bit later than it should. Try to hit the ball a bit earlier from the forehand side. He also launches himself upwards instead of doing a weight transfer to the other foot. Backhand is pretty good though.

I think both players have a good backhand. However, you guys open up from the middle with the backhand and then you don't always go back to the backhand corner. That's pretty important because a simple block to the backhand side after that open up wins the point for the opponent.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
I think both players have a good backhand. However, you guys open up from the middle with the backhand and then you don't always go back to the backhand corner. That's pretty important because a simple block to the backhand side after that open up wins the point for the opponent.

I don't agree with that. Moving from the the middle to the BH corner is quite easy. However if you move toward the backhand corner then a simple block to your forehand will score a point for the opponent. It's the easiest to cover the whole table from the middle.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Both your games are quite good ... a few things I noticed ...
1. It seems you play with each other a lot, hence even without certain nuances in the footwork you can anticipate the shots and more or less look like you are in position ...
2. I would suggest doing a lot of footwork drills , regular and irregular ... the guy in black needs this more
3. Using more wrist in services, the red guy services with a cocked wrist , this helps in controling the ball but the spin imparted will be less compared to if you use more forearm whip and wrist , people with good banana flick will jump all over that serve , I would suggest practicing other serves /variations
4. In general ... use of more body / waist in loops / serves ...
...in general both of you will benefit if you try to stay closer to table and using more backhand / flips and playing counter from close to the table .. both of you are athletic so your game away from the table are good , but in the modern day you cannot afford to fall back ... the plastic ball will allow easier play from away from the table but most people choose to stay close and not give you the time to rally from back there ...

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Wow, great gameplay. A lot of useful observations were made; I have seen two things unmentioned. They're both about the player in red.

Some of those serve receives show awesome touch and control. Beautiful.

Player black seems to gain the initiative not necessarily by putting pressure on red, but because red is perhaps a bit keen in backing away from the table. It's a pitfall I recognize all too well.

Reactions: ttmonster
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
what is all this? these two don't need any advice from any of us. the red shirt guy needs to move his feet more, but judging from their level of play he is probably already well aware of it.

I agree with Izra. You guys do everything fundamentally quite decently. Keep playing. If you wanted to feed each other multiball and work on some skill to help up your level, you guys are good enough to figure out things to work on. You guys are at a level where training with each other and sorting out things you want to work at will be quite productive. But feedback from the forum may not be needed. Feedback from a good coach, different. Just keep playing. You guys are solid.