Golfers elbow support

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Hi everyone.

Some time ago I experienced soreness in my inner part of the elbow, particularly doing heavy FH topspin when making full swing or when punching the over the net ball with my backhand and fully extending my arm. It was a dull pain that lasted for some 10 minutes or so.. Stopped playing, went to the physician and got diagnosed with golfers elbow (if I had the pain on the outside part of the elbow, then it would be tennis elbow...). So had to stop playing for some time, had to do special exercises and stretches. So now my elbow is somewhat ok, don't feel anything for most of the time, but occasionally there is some mild pain after having longer sessions.

Is such a problem common? How are you dealing with it? Did you manage to get rid of it completely or does is bother you from time to time?

Every time I'm playing doctor recommends using special elbow support for decreasing the pressure on tendon and now I am on the quest to find the best one. Now I have 3 of them:

1. neoprene (like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yosoo-Adju...4519424&sr=8-5&keywords=golfers+elbow+support ) -pluses are that you can adjust the pressure on your elbow, but it cuts the bloodflow and its hard to bend your forearm...
2. padded (like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Golfers-Re...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GXARGQHEB67KAJ18WT97 ) -good pressure because of the padding, but slips off and also has a tendency to twist at the part where velcro goes through the buckle
3. compression sleeve ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Developed-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GXARGQHEB67KAJ18WT97 ) - the most comfortable, but pressure is rather weak, have to roll it up twice to increase it, but still remains the lowest of the 3.

So did anyone find the perfect support and could share it?

:)

This user has no status.
Had that as well a few years ago. It hurt so much that I could only play table tennis after taking pain medication. Did not do any exercises or anything but stopped playing table tennis completely for half a year. Went to the gym a lot during that time, not because of the injury but to get in shape as long as I could not play tt. After that break the pain was completely gone and never came back until today. Maybe the gym helped, maybe not, I have no idea.

Tom

This user has no status.

Tom

This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 7 reviews
Hi everyone.

Some time ago I experienced soreness in my inner part of the elbow, particularly doing heavy FH topspin when making full swing or when punching the over the net ball with my backhand and fully extending my arm. It was a dull pain that lasted for some 10 minutes or so.. Stopped playing, went to the physician and got diagnosed with golfers elbow (if I had the pain on the outside part of the elbow, then it would be tennis elbow...). So had to stop playing for some time, had to do special exercises and stretches. So now my elbow is somewhat ok, don't feel anything for most of the time, but occasionally there is some mild pain after having longer sessions.

Is such a problem common? How are you dealing with it? Did you manage to get rid of it completely or does is bother you from time to time?

Every time I'm playing doctor recommends using special elbow support for decreasing the pressure on tendon and now I am on the quest to find the best one. Now I have 3 of them:

1. neoprene (like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yosoo-Adju...4519424&sr=8-5&keywords=golfers+elbow+support ) -pluses are that you can adjust the pressure on your elbow, but it cuts the bloodflow and its hard to bend your forearm...
2. padded (like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Golfers-Re...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GXARGQHEB67KAJ18WT97 ) -good pressure because of the padding, but slips off and also has a tendency to twist at the part where velcro goes through the buckle
3. compression sleeve ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Developed-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GXARGQHEB67KAJ18WT97 ) - the most comfortable, but pressure is rather weak, have to roll it up twice to increase it, but still remains the lowest of the 3.

So did anyone find the perfect support and could share it?

:)

Hey simas,

I think these type of injuries in table tennis are quite common. I know how frustrating it can be as I've had a lot of injuries myself in the past!

I know for this tennis/golfers elbow type injury something called acupressure can really help. It's something that you can even do yourself once you've learnt. It's basically pressing into a specific point in the muscles around the elbow to relieve muscle tension. It may sound strange but can really help some people. Just Google how to do acupressure for golfers/tennis elbow and it will show you how it works and how to do it. Or a physiotherapist can also show you how.

Anyway hope that helps and good luck! :)

Tom

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hey Simas, a few pieces of information to help you.

--First, what Tom said about acupressure and being able to do that to yourself. It is worth looking into that because that gets at the root of the problem fairly effectively.

--Second, keep doing the exercises and stretches that you were given. Do them several times a week. They help address the underlying cause of the issue with your elbow.

--Third, when you do any shot, including punch shots, don't straighten your arm all the way, try to keep at least a slight bend at the elbow. Definitely don't let the elbow joint hyperextend. That may take a little practice with the BH punch shots but it will help you protect your elbow.

--Fourth, here are some stretches that are probably similar to what you were given but these are very effective versions that could, hopefully help you.

Something to know with those stretches, don't force it. Go only to where you feel the stretch. In both, the rotation of the forearm added to the flexion of the wrist is what stretches the muscles that attach to the top of the forearm, near the elbow. Stretching those will help the golfer's elbow get better. Even though golfer's elbow affects a different part of the forearm, the same kind of stretches help it because the rotation stretches so many of those muscles near the elbow joint.

--Fifth, look up "tyler twist for tennis elbow"

The guy in the videos above has decent information and is intelligent. I like that he emphases caution and explains that there are other ways of getting similar results that may be more useful.

--Last detail: I would try the last elbow support, AND, the second to last and see if, using the second one on top of the neoprene elbow support makes the second one stay on and gives you the support you need.

I would play around with that and see if you can sort something out that works for you. But if your elbow starts getting worse, go back to the therapeutic approach of stretching and resting for a while.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Thank you for the replies.

In my case the pain wasn't very strong or acute, more like an "average" one, but lasting for some half an hour..
I am doing my exercises and stretches twice a week when I go to the gym (I do wrist twisting and wrist curls with dumbbells. maybe I should double the times..) and I suppose they helped as I can play without any problems most of the time, just have to pay my attention how it feels and not to overuse it. So that's why I am using my elbow support, but just can't find the one i would be happy 100%...

Never tried tried rubber stick twisting though.

to d3ss3n: that's strange that pain is still there, because as I understand tendonitis is inflammation of tendon because of overusing or overstretching it... so by that time I guess the inflammation had to be gone... maybe there are some micro tears that did not heal. Anyway, I'm not a doctor, so...